“A property that does not honor published rates”

Fairmont Vancouver Airport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“A property that does not honor published rates”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I booked a transit night on the way to Asia. I work for a US government agency and when booking the online government rate, it made no specification as to which government the rate applied.

Upon checking in with colleagues, one of the receptionists asked for my government ID, which I produced in short order. She then said that since this was a US government ID she could not honor the rate. She explained the rate was for Canadian or Provincial government employees only. I told her that was not what the website indicated and that as a good faith measure, Fairmont should honor the rate, especially as the location serves as a gateway from North America to Asia so other government employees might try to book the rate. She refused and quoted me a rate about CAD 100 higher than the government rate. I asked for the manager and was told the manager was unavailable, but that I could have the manager's e-mail.
I checked later on the internet and was able to reproduce my booking with an unspecified government rate - no nationality or provincial requirements were noted in the booking engine. I addressed this in an e-mail to the manager. I never received a response from the Fairmont Vancouver Airport manager, which to me is stunning for an organization of such caliber as Fairmont. Needless to say I am booking away from Fairmont properties due to the vagueness of their policies.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
9 Thank hbrown202
FairmontYVR, Manager at Fairmont Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, 21 June 2010
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are pleased to advise that earlier this year, we rectified the situation to ensure that any International government employee who confirms a governement rate reservation via our website will indeed receive our Canadian Federal government rate.
Executive Office, Fairmont Vancouver Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have a chance to attend a few business meetings over the years at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. I love this hotel. After experiencing this hotel you’ll change your opinion of airport hotels…you’ll think “I get to go to this hotel” versus “I have to go to that airport hotel.” The hotel is about a decade old, but it feels very fresh. I enjoyed a view of the tarmac and runways (room 1139). The room design (especially the bathroom) really impresses me. I loved the telescope in the room for watching the surrounding airport grounds. The Globe restaurant is very impressive -- I was very impressed with my server, Sarah. The gym was also excellent, with a large open view of the airport terminal below. If you earn a certain level of status in the Fairmont President’s club you get a great perk…complimentary workout gear by Adidas…great perk! All in all, I again loved my stay at this hotel…wonderful service, great accommodations, and wonderful food.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We first started staying here 10 years ago just after it open.
It is a great place to have a relaxing night before an early morning flight.
The restaurant is very good and it is nice if you can book a window table to watch the airway traffic.
The service is always top notch., and the rooms were the most modern I had stayed in 10 years ago. However a couple of stays ago I had a discounted room and they were starting to show their wear, but on my most recent stay on the club floor the rooms were perfect.
The fitness center is good and usually with very few people there.
As we live on the island and need a hotel often when travelling, this is the only airport hotel we will stay in, it just can't be beat!

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I never intended to stay here but after the most horrific traffic jam in Toronto missed my direct flight to Victoria BC (Late Afternoon too) and managed to get to Vancouver and to make matters worse that flight was delayed an hour hence i found myself stranded overnight at YVR after realising all remaining flights to Victoria were booked and not getting a confirmed flight until 7am i found myself at 10pm contemplating what to do..... I walked to the Fairmont thinking it'd probably be $500 + a night and got the emergency credit card ready!

When i got to the lobby i explained to the girl my predicament and how much would a room cost...... She must of taken pity on me because she told me most rooms were booked and they were so busy they'd had to open the top floor (Was it 16?) even though it was still being renovated. Anyway she kept looking and found me a room (A deluxe) for $239 CAD a night!!!!!!! on the top floor, The room was gorgeous (And clearly a renovated room) and overlooked the US terminal runway!

It was so quiet and i loved the little touches like the TV and phone displaying my name and welcome message, Miller harris tolietries, huge shower and seperate bath even mouthwash and other little touches!

My biggest regret? That i only spent 8 hours in the room! The bed was so comfortable and i would definitely stay here again!

They offered me breakfast on my rate but due to my jetlag and having such an early morning flight i never got to experience it, Check out was smooth sailing and again the girl on the morning shift was also very friendly!

Keep up the good work guys! This aussie was very impressed! I hope to be back someday!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Harvsman
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2010

You can take to the bank the unpredictability of a Canadian winter. Knowing that anything can happen and heading for New Zealand, we decided to fly into Vancouver a day early and stay overnight at the Fairmont. We also opted for an executive level room for that gave us an automatic 3.00 pm checkout and use of all facilities until that time. After a very pleasant evening, the next day, swathed in our warm robes, we headed down to spend the morning at the pool. Everything about the Fairmont is first class. There are many small touches and some unexpected extras like fresh flowers in your room. The accommodation offered everything one might expect and was very comfortable. Not in the mood for a heavy dinner in the hotel we opted a glass, or two, of good wine in the bar and a very acceptable light meal. We were even able to watch our plane taxi in from our window. A telescope is provided if you are into plane watching. This was a fabulous way to start a holiday - a very cunning plan indeed.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AJ&ERtravel
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We liked the the fact that the hotel was right on site at the airport. Our kids loved watching the airport activity from the room with the supplied telescope. They had fun in the pool and excercise room. The staff were friendly and very helpful. We had a great stay!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 January 2010

What a convenient hotel to stay at. I landed at 11:45 PM had to clear customs and then departed at 8:30 AM the next day. So staying here was basically a must. The room on the 9th floor was clean, comfortable and spacious. Unfortunately I really didn't get a chance to enjoy the hotel or it's amenities, but I would definitely stay here again. Yes the hotel is a bit expensive, but it's convenient and this is a GREAT hotel chain so you do pay for it. I've stayed at other hotels by the airport, but this one is the best by far.

Only negative I could hear the planes taking off and landing from my room. I expected the windows to be a little more soundproof, I've stayed in other hotels at airports and it's been a bit quieter. But this will not keep me from staying here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank rkaradi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Bridgeport
Downtown
Fairmont Waterfront
Fairmont Waterfront
#11 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Fairmont Vancouver Airport? Share your experiences!