“Hot tub/whirlpool lukewarm, just like the hotel!”

Travelodge Hotel Vancouver Airport
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We needed to stay at a hotel near the Vancouver Airport for an overnight before an early morning flight for one of our family members. We specifically booked this hotel because it has an indoor pool and hot tub, at least that is what it says. The hotel was not clean, our room was okay, but the beds were horrible, very soft mattresses. When we went to use the hotel pool the water was very cold, not heated. What's the point of having an indoor pool in March if it isn't heated. And to top it all off the hot tub/spa was lukewarm and wasn't even hot. We stayed in it for an hour, continually resetting the timer and hoping the water would eventually get hot, but it didn't. What a rip off since I had called the day before and asked if the pool and hot tub were in working order! Think I might write this Travel Lodge and ask for my money back. Never, ever again will I stay there. What a disappointment!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 March 2009

We arrived courtesy Air Canada just after 10:00 pm on a Sunday night at the start of BC Spring Break when airlines were frenzied. The restaurant closes at 10:00 pm and unfortunately, despite the desk clerk asking whether they would stay open, the restaurant manager decided to close it even though there were several travelers sent to the hotel for the night because they had missed their flights.
We went to an excellent restaurant at the Sandman hotel next door, which is open later.
The room was clean and comfortable. It had an electric heater with fan built into the window wall, like you get in an apartment - it was OK and not too noisy. We slept very well.
I swam in the pool, which was spotlessly clean - after I got in the maintenance man came with towels. He was testing the chlorine and going to add chemicals at the pool equipment, not directly into the pool. He knows how to take care of a pool.
The breakfast was good value and standard fare - pancakes, omelettes, served for a late breakfast.
The shuttle only goes every half hour to and from the airport - it is free. We just missed one getting there so had to wait. There should be a big sign near where you wait at the airport with the shuttle timetable, as there is in the hotel. Going from the airport to the hotel, the shuttle went round the town of Richmond, coming back was much quicker. The shuttle driver was very helpful with baggage.
For an unscheduled stay the hotel was fine and we had a good rest. It's not fancy, but adequate.
We were desperate for Internet access when we arrived to reschedule our flights - so the desk clerk gave us the code for the WiFi that normally costs $5. There is a computer in the lobby with free wired Internet access that anyone can use - but only one.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amhey
Reviewed 8 February 2009

This hotel gives hotels in canada a bad name, we reserved rooms for 2 nights in jan and paid extra for shuttle service and parking, we were going to cancun for two weeks and had arranged to be shuttled from airport and we staying there again on our return. First two nights: we reserved by phone ahead of time. we were quoted a price, when we arrived at the hotle they would not honor the prices quoted, but were were tired so just stayed, was a hassel to get a play pen for the baby, and when we got it it was so dirty we had to scrub it down, beds were hard but oh well. When we asked for extra blanket they rolled their eyes and it was a reall inconvience to them.. but we were excited to go on vacation and thought we would not worry ABOUT IT. Coming home two weeks later at midmight, we felt tired but happy we had arranged for pick up by the hotel, We called the hotle to make sure we were getting picked up, we were told wait out side at the front, so we did for 30 mins. ( in the pouring rain), my husband and my self, two daughters and a small baby, shuttle shows up it is only a small van, we struggle with the baby and all our bag to get in the van, the driver let in people ahead of us that were going to a different hotel, we to him we were going to the travel lodge, he said oh well, first come first serve, he was full too bad for us. We asked if he was coming back for us he said no, too bad for you. I am done for the night..... we quickly called the hotel to say we need a ride, that there was not room for us.... the hotel said to bad, we should have been on time, we ex[lained we we the ones who called him and and we were there 30 mins early, that we had a small baby and he said it's not his problem and hung up. we had to take a limo cause taxis didn't have enough space for 5 and luggage. When we got to the hotel ( which is where we left our truck) we told the clerk that we were left at the air port enven though we had paid them. He actually laughed at us and smirked, said not his problem, too bad for us we should have tried to be on time...... this guys was so smug and rude, at this point we said fine just give us our money back, we don't want to stay here, he refused, said nope you have to cancel 24 hrs in advance, we asked to talk to a manager.. he refused.... and laughed at us smurking... we said all we want is our money back, he said no, called the police told the police we were violent and would not leave the hotel.... such a liar, we left, they charge us and we stayed in a really friendly hotel down the hiway... please stay away

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sunseeker17
Reviewed 5 November 2008

My flight had hydraulic problems so in turn all 30 or so passengers were sent to the Richmond Travelodge. Check in was quick and friendly. The hallways show some wear. The room was a good size.
Again a bit of wear. it is a solid building. Very sound proof. I would stay there again. I checked out at about 6:00am and the morning staff was professional and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2008

When you hear the name “Travelodge,” you may think of a decrepit-looking place on the fringe of a questionable neighborhood. This hotel really should be “re-badged” as it is quite nice and is geared toward middle to upper-middle class pleasure travelers. The rooms are tidy and in good shape, and the desk service is extremely attentive. In fact, the people working at the front desk went out of their way to help me with business faxes, a Fedex and internet access -- even trying to give me their own money for a coin-operated internet-access computer in the lobby when I ran out of Canadian dollars. An excellent value. If you are new to Vancouver, you should get a map and directions, however, as the traffic engineering is awful and the roads into the city are confusing.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank snarkus04
Reviewed 15 August 2008

We rang the day we wanted to stay and got a room for 6 nights, most people were just staying overnight so they put us in an executive suite for the same price. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff.
Everything about the hotel was good, the place was clean and tidy. The pool was always clean and the cafe and restaurant food was good and of a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2008

This hotel was disgustingly filthy: we had to clean tan smears off of the toilet seat before using it, there was hair all over the bathroom floor and tub, it stunk, and worse of all - I had to kill silverfish crawling all over the bathroom floor when I used it in the middle of the night. And if that wasn't enough, when I got home I was checking my Visa account online and saw that the hotel had a new charge pending for $49.12. When I had checked out the morning after our stay, I was told there were no more charges, and there should not have been any. I called the hotel and was put on the accountant's voicemail. I stated my concern over the Visa charge and left my name and telephone number. Oddly, the next day the charge had disappeared from my Visa and I have never gotten a call-back from the hotel. This hotel needs investigating over their shady practices, not to mention the dirtiness.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends