“Bumpy, lumpy Murphy bed.”

Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
“Bumpy, lumpy Murphy bed.”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

First the good. Rooms were very clean, they felt new and well kept. Breakfast at the a joining restaurant was very good, and the hotel staff was very helpful.
Now the bad. Check in took a ridiculous amount of time. I have no idea what the heck he was typing in that darn computer, but it seemed like he was writing a novel. He asked if we wanted one bed or two. My husband said one... BIG mistake! Utterly the worst bed I've ever slept in. Yikes. It was a Murphy bed and OMG it was horrible. Strange because it seems they put a lot of effort into granite counter tops in bathroom, first rate cabinets,drapes, a fairly decent tv, but the number one thing your there for ..SLEEP...seemed to be bottom of list. I also hate having the coffee maker in bathroom, it's just not sanitary. There was no shuttle to the south terminal which is where the seaplanes take off from. The last place we stayed did have that option. So all in all, we won't stay again.

Room Tip: Never accept a one bed room...or at least make sure it isn't a murphy bed!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank platobird
Generalmanager3, General Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear about your mattress experience. Based on your comments we will be changing the bedding immediately. I am glad that you noticed how clean our rooms are and that you enjoyed your breakfast in our restaurant. I would like to speak to you if you could please send me your contact info so I may call you.

Thanks,

Andrew
G.M.

gmgr@hiyvr.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We found this property to be quite clean and comfortable. Free laundry facilities were available to guests, it was great to have a 'big' wash. Restaurant was there on the premises, both service and quality was very good. The free shuttle to the airport was fantastic. Recommend this property for a quick stopover to the airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver Island
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was most impressed with the standards of this hotel, from the Reception to the ladies in the Housekeeping department. The bed was extremely luxurious with a choice of density of pillows and plenty of them. The bathroom was spacious and sparkled. I did report to the front desk staff that 2 of the electricity outlets appeared not to be working. I had a corner room with two view windows, and despite the view being the highway and it's noise it did quieten down later in the evening, I dined in the 'Foggs and Suds' sports bar on the ground floor of the hotel, and if you want a quieter dining experience perhaps move out further afield. It was however fun as the Canuks were playing and their were lots of eager fans, the food was excellent. Breakfast too was served in here in the morning, but very quiet then of course. There is the option of room service of course. I was given the option of checking out later in the day if I wanted as my flight didn't leave till late afternoon, however I opted to take the free shuttle bus to the airport instead. Free Wi-Fi and a good connection. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: As for a room at the back or away from the highway.....corner rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Arkansas
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is a good hotel close to the airport if you have an early morning flight. Shuttle leaves every 30 minutes and was on time. It's clean, looks recently updated, front desk friendly and helpful. Apparently, it's farther from the Richmond harbor than we thought - a cab ride is easily $30. And the harbor has lots of good restaurants, if you don't want just someplace to eat and don't care about the view. Room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Bathroom was spacious with lots of hot water.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night. The shuttle from the airport was very convenient. Room looked pretty decent until we laid down in the bed and I found a dried up pair of used contact lenses under my pillow. After pulling down the bedspread to check the rest of it we found a yellow spot on the bottom sheet. We called the front desk and got a new room that was cleaned, but they didn't offer us anything else for our troubles. The restaurant was pretty yummy and the bartender was friendly. Don't think I'd stay here if I'm ever in Vancouver again though.

• Stayed September 2013
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on a business trip and was, again, very favourably impressed. Even though there was a mix-up with my reservation, I was treated with the utmost courtesy and respect, in a very professional manner. Front-desk staff went out of their way to resolve the problem to my satisfaction, including making necessary calls, etc.

The lobby is bright and inviting and my room was clean, well made-up, and equipped with everything I would need. In spite of being so near the airport, I did not find noise from the many nearby planes to be intrusive at all.

Any housekeeping staff I encountered were polite and happy to assist as well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank marjiegirl
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

There were many positives about this hotel for me. I was only staying in Vancouver for the night and I chose the hotel because I usually have a pretty good experience with the IHG brand. Conveniently, it has a shuttle to/from the main terminal as well as a restaurant on site. I was concerned about it being so close to a major highway; however, you didn't even notice it was there while inside the building. My room was nicely decorated and clean though some parts are definitely showing wear (mostly in the bathroom). My real frustration was the difficulty with the wireless. The room was at the very end of the hall way - when I was in the lobby I could easily connect to the WiFi on my iPad. While in my room, the signal strength was so terrible that I couldn't even get a connection (most of the time it wouldn't even show up on the WiFi list). I did let the front reception know; however, they were not able to resolve the issue. Just makes the stay a bit disappointing when you're trying to do a bit of work.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank xtinecarmen
Generalmanager3, General Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your review. We recognize the internet as a problem with more and more travellers carrying numerous wireless devices it at times overloads. We are in the process of Installing a dedicated Fiber Line as of November 6 we will have our new Fiber installed along with updated routers which will eliminate any further internet connectivity problems. I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay and I am truly sorry about the connection problems.

Regards,