Executive Airport Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre Richmond
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Booked this hotel via Travelocity mystery hotel savings - July 12 and July 13, I was picking in between 2 similar deals with $5 difference. Once paid, I thought I got a good deal, $90.55 per nite + taxes & fee. The pictures look very nice on the web. Once I arrived at the hotel, I found that there's two separate buildings, then I knew somethings not right. I dressed very casually, once i walked into the front desk, no smile and no greetings (looked like i am from a difference world), The rooms I got was at the "run-down" building (2 storey) next to the hotel lobby. Once I walked into the room - big disappointment - the room is smelly, dark, mildew smell in the bathroom, the air conditioner sounds like a broken engine (noisy all day and nite long - I couldn't sleep at all), there's a big crack on the ceiling, pool is small and dirty, no towels. The bed was smelling, and the bed was not comfortable at all, it's like sleeping on metal springs.

Parking is the worst, the first night i parked, garbage everywhere on the parking lot floor, people were smoking, cigarette butts were everywhere. The location is okay, 3 blocks west of No.3 road in Richmond. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: It's difficult to pick a mystery hotel via those hotel websites. But this experience makes me ha...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Arthur92809
GM_Airport, General Manager at Executive Airport Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

While we do have a group of buildings each constructed in different years, all provide a service standard which has clients returning time after time. It is regrettable that no smile or friendly welcome was evident when you approached our guest service agents- your comments have been reviewed with those team members. Pool and Hot Tub areas are supplied with towels and we are sorry if we had run out when you used the facility. Pool maintenance and cleaning are constant and we regret if you found it not acceptable. We regret that the AC units was not as quiet as you would have liked therefore disturbing your sleep.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed one night because of Hotwire. It was immediately clear that my room should have been refurbished at least 10 years ago. It wasn't in the tower or main building, but in the building across the way from the front desk.

The room had 8 pot lights, giving a sense that you were in someone's basement.

I suspect management has never actually stayed in a room overnight...
1. The shower experience is the worst I've endured. Straight shower rod, and the curtain is too close to the centre of the tub. The result is a shower curtain clinging to my body sporadically during my shower. Gross.

2. Why is the hair dryer next to the door frame? If you want to turn on the bathroom lights, you have to look around for the light switch, then reach around the hair dryer.

3. Regardless of management's response to a previous TA review, the room definitely smelled of something as soon as I opened the door. The window is sealed. Hardly a sense of 'freshness'

4. The safe provided caused the closet shelf to warp terribly.

Yes, there was a flat panel TV. Also a fridge. Vending machines are surprisingly reasonably priced. Fitness centre in one building, even a hot tub if you can find it (but it doesn't open very early).

I've been in many low end/budget chains that offer better, brighter rooms.
Best part of my stay? Leaving.

Room Tip: There's many other Richmond hotels and motels offering better accomodations.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank ABtraveller

Our Court Yard building, while the oldest of our 3 buildings, receives constant upgrades. Curved shower rods are slated for this building. Windows in every room open for fresh air and many have full balconies. Safes are being relocated to a better location in the room to eliminate any warped shelves. We regret that you did not enjoy the overall stay.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

There's three of us checked in this hotel. We need extra towel and linen. My husband went to the front desk and requested one and he was told someone will bring it up.
An hour later, no towel was brought up. I phoned the desk, and was told someone will bring it up at 12:15am when the crew will be back from the airport.
I was disgusted because of this response. This is the first hotel we've checked in to ever ask for extra towel and linens. That we have to wait hours and hours before we get what we need in our room.
I cannot wait anymore, my daughter used the other towel as her blanket.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank shearl59

We clearly did not respond to your request in a timely manner, for which we are truly sorry. We have spoken to our night team to show those team members how this could have been handled much better on our part. Please accept our apologies, we know we failed to deliver that excellent Executive experience.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was traveling with Lulu for fun. Staff, room and service was great! Best hotel when traveling with a small pet.Proximity to shopping was great. The Irish bar had wonderful staff, music and food. I was able to purchase some electronics near Richmond Mall. The only downside was the internet service.

Room Tip: Corner suites are very roomy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The room we were in had a funky smell as soon as you walked in. I couldn't quite place it at first, but I figured it out near the end of our three night stay. The carpet by the entry and bathroom must have been urinated on quite profusely as you could also smell something used to try to mask the odor. It didn't work - it just smelled like old urine every time I went by the door.

I am never staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jason S
GM_Airport, General Manager at Executive Airport Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Your comments are appreciated. While management and our housekeeping team have visited every room in search of this odor we have not come across that funky smell. It is regrettable when anything detracts from a pleasant stay and we are truly sorry that a smell of any nature ruined your recent stay experience.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We rented a 2 bedroom suite in the condo tower for five nights. The unit, and the hotel in general from what we saw, is old and worn. The appliances looked like they were original to when the condo tower building was built in the '90s. The blinds in the living room were ridiculous - opening or closing them (necessary when you have someone in your party using the pull-out sofa in the living room) even slowly and carefully caused some of them to fall right off of the track. The AC froze up on day one (following that we were careful to ration our AC and it seemed to cope ok). Both racks on the dishwasher were broken such that if you pulled them out too quickly they fell out completely. The TV in the living room was flat screen (but terrible reception for the most part) and the TV in the master bedroom was at least a ten year old tube model (never turned it on so don't know about reception). We did not eat at the restaurants, but did use the pool. It was small and quite cold, but fine for kids to play around in. Unfortunately, though the front desk insisted there were pool towels in the pool room, there was only a laundry basket on the floor in a corner with dirty wet pool towels in it.

Having said that, you get what you pay for! The price was very good for a two bedroom, two bathroom suite, with full kitchen facilities and in-suite washer and dryer. We made use of all of it and were extremely glad we had booked that type of unit. It was a very convenient location and within walking distance to the Richmond Oval, and included parking and wifi. The wifi worked just fine, the beds were comfortable enough (except the sofa bed which was as bad as most hotel sofa beds), the kitchen was minimally but adequately equipped with dishes/utensils/pots/etc. and the staff was pleasant even when insisting there were clean pool towels in the pool area. When we booked, we requested a quiet location on a high floor, and we were given that - the view was fantastic, and we heard no noise from any neighbouring suites, nor from the pub or restaurant(s).

Without overhauling these tired suites completely (and having to raise the prices correspondingly to pay for it), there are a few small things that could be done to improve things and might make a difference in how guests perceive the experience of these suites in the condo tower: replace the blinds for goodness sake and fix the dishwasher racks (!!!!), put curved shower curtain rods in the bathrooms (who uses straight rods any more???), put regular coffee makers in the kitchen (a two-cup, which is really one good cup sized, hotel coffee maker in a suite that is supposed to sleep 5??), and get better TV reception. Replace the old tube style TVs in the bedrooms (small flat screens are inexpensive these days). I have rated the property "Average" because the next rating up is "Very Good", which is a bit more than it deserves given the broken items and possible simple improvements noted above. It is probably more accurately described as "Good" overall based on the value for money.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank aamum
GM_Airport, General Manager at Executive Airport Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We appreciate your comments and assure you that we are in the midst of renovating all condos. New appliances( Stainless Steel ) ,new carpet , granite counters in the kitchen and bathrooms, sofa beds which offer a great night sleep and HDTV flat screens in all rooms plus a number of other upgrades. We hope you return soon to enjoy one of those newly renovated suites.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Tube tv ' s, 70 's tile in the bathroom, bed is like sleeping on a bag of rice. So sad I paid for 2 nights already. TV doesn't even have a guide... seriously stuck in the 70s hotel. Loud air conditioning. The only good thing was the price I guess but I'd rater be at the Super 8!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Winnipegflyer

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. Soon the last of our rooms will receive new flat screen HDTV’s .In years past we would receive monthly TV guides however the are no longer available to us , we are truly sorry ! AC units when placed under high demand during hot spells tend to be a bit louder it is regrettable ! We hope that you will return because we value your business.