“good choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Aiken SC
“good choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Perfect for quick overnight prior to flight. Room was fine and airport shuttle on time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Be sure to not mix up Sandman inn with Sandman Signature hotel. The latter looked a lot nicer, at least from the outside.

We stayed at the Sandman Inn. It was ok... but for sure it's a very old and run down place.

Pros:
1. It was cheap. We got an early bird deal that was $79/night.
2. We got a free upgrade to a loft suite that included a fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle and coffee machine.
3. The front desk staff was very nice and accomodating. My parents' room smelled horrible (it wasn't a moldy smell or smoke, just horrible). We did check in 2 hours early so didn't have another room availble right away but we had to go for lunch and they had a room ready within the hour we went out.
4. Free airport shuttle was convenient.

Cons:
1. Old, old, old. The rooms need a complete facelift. The carpet is really old and dingy. It was pretty dark and gloomy in the rooms.
2. The "fitness" room was a joke - but I guess it wasn't a top priority.
3. There's no waterslide! I guess some people who wrote about the slide may have been at the Sandman Signature hotel or the Sandman that's in downtown Vancouver, but not the Sandman Inn at the Vancouver Airport.

All-in-all, it was ok. We were in Vancouver for my brother's wedding and we barely stayed in the hotel so it really was only for sleeping. But to be honest, I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

We had a smoke-free room booked, and the room was marked non-smoking. However, the elevator, hall and room all smelled very smoky. We arrived after midnight, after traveling all day, so I did not pursue another room. Other than that (which is HUGE for me) it was a wonderful place. The complimentary airport shuttle ran every half hour until after midnight and that was great. They offered upscale toiletries that smelled great. The room was attractive (however, small with long hallway). The hot breakfast was great (and worth the extra fee). The bed was very comfortable. I would have rated it excellent except for the smell -- which meant I couldn't sleep well.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Punta Gorda, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

My husband & I were picked up by the hotel shuttle bus (wait time 1 hour). on the evening of before our Alaskan cruise. The shuttle driver couldn't pick up anyone's luggage, so my husband & I had to lift 8 guests luggage into the bus. The driver also didn't speak english, and didn't we didn't know there were several Sandman Inns. We figured it out, but when we entered the lobby, we were sorry we had picked that hotel.

The smell of smoke and filth hung in the air like fog. There was only one person working and we had to drag our bags to the our room (nonsmoking floor). When we finally got our door open, we were greeted with a stench that I can only describe as something between unwashed bedlinens, a soiled matress, smoke, filthy carpet and years of poor housecleaning. The room was very small, with little room to walk around the bed.

The bathroom was clean, but the towels held the stench of the room. I didn't want to sleep in the bed, but I was tired and we were getting up early the next day for the cruise. This is not a hotel that you want to spend one minute of your precious vacation time in.

The man at the front desk in the morning was kind, and that is the one good thing I can say.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank sarleo
whitehorse
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

The Sandman was what I was expecting for what we paid. The room was less than impressive, it could really use an update. There was a great shower in the room, though things like the TV could really be modernized. The front desk staff was really friendly, and he was a good representative for the hotel.
Though there was no one thing that was wrong with the hotel, I would only stay here if there was nothing else available.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deppypung
Cariboo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed here while in Richmond and were led to beleive that the loft suite would provide adequate room for a family of five, NOT. with only one bed, a hide-a bed and an air mattress in a cramped facility with a tiny bathroom that didn't have a fan, it just didn't measure up to expectation. Plus they are totally lacking in parking, and ask guests to park on the driveway.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank thecoyote
SandmanRichmond, Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the valuable feed back. Your experience is not of the level of quality and service we strive to offer our guests and we apologize that we did not exceed your expectations.

We welcome the opportunity to contact you directly to see if we can offer further resolution and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Please feel free to contact me personally to discuss further.

Sincerely.

Sameer Vahidy
Director of Operations
Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport
Richmond, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

Stayed one night on business and it was quite bad. I was disturbed by the condition of the room, very dirty, outdated and noisy. I was placed in a room facing Hwy99 and an intersection on the second floor. I actually checked for bed bugs. On checkout at 10 am, I stood at the front desk for approx. 10 min waiting for a person to arrive to get me my receipt. After another guest joined the line, a woman staffer opened the door to the office and said "I'll be there in a minute" and closed it again. We all just looked at each other with a bit of shock at the attitude.
The Moxies next door was really the only saving grace about the whole trip, the service was great and very convenient for a lovely breakfast the next day before heading out.
For the money, there are better places. I would try somewhere else before staying again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business