“Typical Sandman”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
“Typical Sandman”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Short stay 2 nights transit back to Perth. Needed some accommodation. I've stayed with the Sandman a few times throughout BC mostly in revelstoke (see other review) and they're all pretty lame. You get what you pay for. If you can afford to stay at the Sandman Signature then do so.

The walls in this place are super thin. And they don't have a separate room for their ice machine. If your room is next to it, you'll hear the machine going all night not to mention the ice falling into cups as people take ice.

Check in is super slow too. Lots of staring at computer screens. I pre-paid for my room and it took them 10+ minutes just to give me my room key.

Wifi drops in and out.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Apparently it's being renovated, there was a large dumpster in the lot. The staff were great, our stay was paid for by Vancouver Island Health and there was a mix up which the staff smoothly ironed out for us - for which I was very grateful.
The room was tired, we were all tired. For the most part it was clean, except the lightswitches, bath and a couple of oversights. The cracked tiles above the bath leave you wondering, how did it come to this - how did someone manage to have a shower and break 3 tiles - what were they doing?
The room was also about 300 degrees C when we first arrived and despite the window being open all the time, and it being 5 degrees outside we could only get it down to about 20 degrees, heat off of course.
I have always been easy to 'turn off' with hotel rooms, they need to be fairly new and definitely clean for me to feel comfortable - this room was about as low as I could stand.
The bed was nice and firm, the sheets scratchy, the 'blanket' made from some kind of petroleum extrusion process, you know the kind. The 'comforter' thing on top was assumed to be feculent, and put aside.

I would have preferred to stay at the Holiday Inn Express round the corner - I have been there before and found it much nicer, including a duvet instead of sandpaper sheets.

No complaints about the Wifi, and they have wired internet anyway.

Oh, there was one unexpected feature which was a half height fridge, which was handy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport has a free shuttle which runs every half hour. The staff is friendly, the hotel is clean and the rooms are comfortable. As another reviewer noted, the wi-fi is very spotty. It works for a while and then it is out for hours. I stayed one night and the wi-fi was off more than it was on. If you are staying for one night to get to the airport early, get take out because the attached Moxies Restaurant served me terrible, expensive food. .Besides that, when I wanted to charge my food to the hotel, there was a big problem.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Golden, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

It's okay if you are traveling in or out of YVR. Rooms are a little small. Very basic. Restaurant, Moxies, is so-so. The morning shuttle was basically a small van and far too crowded. The Wifi absolutely sucks and has for a long time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night before our flight. Our room on 2nd floor was spacious enough, very clean and the bed was comfortable. We came on the ferry boat from Victoria, took the bus 620 and stopped right in front of the hotel, just like another reviewer said. Early in the am took their shuttle to the airport. Staff was friendly. Good for the traveler to and from the airport.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patcat71
Quesnel, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Expedia and we joked that we must have been assigned the "expedia" room. The receptionist was unfamiliar with the hotel and couldn't answer any of our questions about the room. The room was small and poorly furnished, dull. No facial tissue dispenser. However the night manager was knowledgable and very polite. When I left my key card in my room, I was given another without hesitation. They also gave us access to the business centre even though we were not technically eligible. Only the star plus members got papers in the morning. Too many small irritations for me to return happily to this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Chilliwack, BC
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Was there 2 nights ago. The hotel is under renovation, a fact not disclosed to us at the time of our booking it. The ceiling above the bathtub was wet with drops of water from the suite above ours and needs replacement. There was no Kleenex-type tissue available in the room. The carpets are a dingie black, and I felt it was chosen to hide soil. The linens were clean, however. The night desk staff and the day person were good. The breakfast menu at the on-site Moxie's restaurant is too limited and lacks regular choices. We walked to the nearby Travel Lodge's Pantry Restaurant for breakfast and were disappointed by the food and service. Our meals included pancakes. Mine arrived cold and had to be sent back. Being diabetics, we ordered sugar free syrup. The server remembered too late, and had brought us regular syrup which we had already eaten! No small error there. She forgot our daughter's coffee refill. The washroom there was up a flight of stairs and no accommodation for a handicapped person. We will not attend either establishment again. I hope tourists don't judge Vancouver by these two establishments.

Room Tip: Be sure to inquire whether renovation work has been completed. While staff are friendly and seem ef...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels