“Friendly service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Victoria, British Columbia
“Friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Perfect for an overnight stay on our way out of the country. Jeremy at the front desk was extremely helpful. Unfortunately the airport shuttle does not run early so we had to take a cab (relatively inexpensive ) and didn't get breakfast but the room was spacious and clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canadianpotter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Whitecourt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed here because it was close to the airport and had a shuttle service. Rooms were clean and average size. Breakfast is muffins, toast, cereal and a waffle maker. No fresh fruit or yogurt.

Check the times of the shuttle. We arrived late at night and had a delay waiting for our luggage. Shuttle stopped running at 12:20 p.m. so we missed the shuttle and had to take a taxi to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Friendly staff, free wifi, quiet comfortable clean room, huge shower/bathroom/room, accessible hdmi inputs on the TV (bring cables, I didn't :( ), staff make you breakfast in the lobby, recommend great dinner restaurants, and are super helpful with ordering cabs and finding local services. Price was extremely reasonable for great experience. Go to the Boathouse for dinner! Steak is fantastic!

Room Tip: Hard to balance electric HVAC, use the "comfort zone" range - very helpful
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MarkDineen
Richmond, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is the WORST stay ever in my life in any hotel. I have stayed at other Days Inns and they were all excellent. This one, Days Inn Vancouver Airport Hotel, is absolutely the opposite. It is a long story so I appreciate it that you would bear with me.
We redeemed points through Wyndham Rewards online booking. According to Wyndham website, kids 12 and under stay free at Days Inn Vancouver Airport Hotel. However, when I called the hotel to verify I was told that kids 11 and under stay free; and anyone 12 and older are considered as an adult. If there is a third person 12 or older stays, a $10 plus taxes will be charged. We also need to provide Either Photo I.D. or ALL of Social Insurance Number Card, Birth Certificate, and BC Medicare Card, to prove each kid's age. I was told all three I.D.s are required to sufficiently prove the age if no Photo I.D. That means I have to bring 9 I.D.s for three kids. I then called Wyndham customer service to clarify the discrepancies, and was transferred to general Days Inn customer service, who politely told me each hotel has its own policy.
I then called this Days Inn to verify. At some point, the agent told me other than the documents mentioned before, I could get a form from kid's school for proof of age. First, it is quite a hassle to get a form from school just for one night's stay. Besides, I had never heard about age proof form from school; so I asked her exactly what kind of form it is. Then she asked me if I want to be transferred to a Mandarin or Cantonese speaking customer service agent, because I do not seem to know about the form from school.
It was a mistake to judge the languages I speak by my last name. I do speak absolutely fluent English if not 100% perfect. Neither Mandarin nor Cantonese is my native tongue, though I do understand both. My native tongue is actually Japanese. I was born and grew up in Japan. But above all, I was asking the form from school, which has nothing to do with language issue. I felt I was insulted. I told her it is not about a language, it is about the documents the hotel requires.

I booked a room at this hotel anyway just for the better rating on internet. When I checked in, a male staff asked for the kid’s I.D.s. He needs to make sure the 10 years old is 10 years old, not 12 years old? I told the guy I will bring them just in front of you to see, and then you will know that. I even asked if 4 years old looks like older than 12 years old. He immediately said 10 years old could be looked like 16 years old. (If you fist politely ask me to bring the kids and take a look first, then if he still not sure the 10 years old is really 10 or 12, he can ask me to get the documents. I would have felt much better.) Anyway, he told me to sign the paper before I go get kids. As I was very upset, I did signed the paper quickly and roughly, but told him that three kids were in the car just outside of the back door. For safety, I suppose to go get them first before I signed it. He said “It only takes 30 seconds to sign the paper”. I replied him “Yes, it only takes less than 30 seconds, why you urge me to sign the paper right away?” I also told him there might be one more 12 years old girl showing up later, if so I will come to pay for extra $10 plus tax, which fee was verified yesterday over the phone. He said ok, I will charge you extra. Then I said “WAIT A MINUTE!” That girl has not shown up yet, now we only have 1 adult and three kids, age 12, 10 and 4. You should not charge now. I have already told you if another girl shows up, I will pay for her fee.

After we drove back home to get all three I.D.s, I placed them on the counter. He even not touching the documents first, then asked my 134-cm tall 10-year-old: how old are you? That was very insulting! IF YOU EVER TRUST the age by asking the kid directly, why you insist you need to see the documents? I did not have to drive all the way back home to get 9 documents? IF HE DOES NOT TRUST what my kids or I say about the age, you just take a look at the 9 documents, which has been already placed JUST IN FRONT OF HIM.Later, he said only one document is enough. You do not have to bring three…. Your people say that I need to bring all three I.D.s to prove the age sufficiently!

As he asked me to sign another paper, I said give it to me. He told me to calm down. When he asked me to type PIN without any explanation, I grabbed the machine. He again insulted me. He said, “I WARN YOU. THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE. OTHERWISE, I WILL NOT LET YOU CHECK IN.” At this point, I could not express anymore. Is this how a hotel treats its customers? Insult them, upset them, and then try to get rid of them after they've signed in. We were treated as if we had been beggars instead of customers.
Then I see 250 bucks charge. After I asked what it is for, he said it is for security deposit for no long distance, no smoking, and no damage.

This review will be posted on Wyndham's website and Trip's Advisor; and is sent to Days Inns head office. The review may not have any significant impact on the hotel's rating but for sure we will ensure as many people as possible are aware of this treatment before they decide to stay here.
Thank you.