“one night layover” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Fredericton, Canada
“one night layover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed here for one night on our way to Mexico. Check in was speedy (8pm) and the staff was very friendly. The hotel is very big and the many hallways can be confusing. I would not want to stay here if I had a lot of luggage and children in tow. As it was it was just me and my husbad. The room was clean and quiet. We had read the reviews about rooms near the gym being noisy so requested that we be far away from there. We were told that those rooms were only used when the hotel was at capacity. The bed was super comfortable. Hotel provided a wake up call as requested. Check out was simple with no waiting or hassles (probably because it was 4:00am). Great hotel for a layover and possibly a longer stay. I would stay here again for the right price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had a pleasant experience at the Sandman Signature Hotel.
Got a good deal and were offered an upgrade to a bigger room on a top floor.
Room was very comfortable and modern. Good bed! Nice balcony/ view.

They also have free parking which is a nice plus and a few restaurants and pools on property.
This is a great place for a night or two in close proximity to YVR and with affordable rates.

Only downsides were the confusing towers and hallways. I think we got lost a few times trying to navigate our way around.
Also, it can be hard to get to as it is located right on the highway after the bridge.

Overall a great stay and we would return. Good combination of value and amenities.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel is located just outside of Vancouver in Richmond which is much easier to navigate. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Our children loved the two pools, the indor pool with the large water slide especially. The tower room with a deck had an excellent view of the city. Nice and quiet for being located near an airport. Lots of places to eat and shop in the area. Would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower as this is closer to the lobby
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This might have been the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever been in. The location is close to the rail station which will take you to downtown. Quite close to the airport with great service by the staff. Great business center and gym onsite. Small balcony accompanied my room which was a nice surprise. I would stay here again in town and not needing to be downtown.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Despite the fact that this hotel is a poorly planned combination of towers & hallways that can confuse even the most seasoned traveler, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel during a recent hockey tournament in Vancouver. The rooms were clean, quiet, affordable and comfortable. The water slide made the pool a hit with our kids.

However, as a member of a hockey team who's gone to several tournaments, I do have one complaint. After trying to book into the restaurant in the hotel, which couldn't accommodate our numbers, we tried to see if this VERY LARGE hotel could find us another space to eat pizza and chat on Sun evening, no staff required (offered to pay a cleaning fee). This seemed to be an impossible task, despite the fact we booked about 14 rooms in the hotel. The main excuse was that the people that would arrange these things weren't working on the weekends. There was an area near the front door for gatherings, but the front desk also couldn't guarantee/reserve us the space. It's first come, first serve, and even if we did use that area, we were worried we might be too loud for a lobby area. In the end, we crammed 20 people in a small suite, belonging to one of our group.

It should be noted that we have stayed in other hotels for tournaments that have bent over backwards to accommodate us with such a request, without suggesting a $200 fee (which we were eventually offered at the Sandman). The theory, from a customer satisfaction point, is that by doing so, the next time we're in town for a hockey tournament and need to book up to 16 rooms, we'll come back. And to those hotels, we definitely will.

Would we stay here again? If it was just our family, yes. If it was for our team, we might, but we'd be checking out other hotels as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Qualicum Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed for 3 nights. There was a mixup with the room but the girl at the front desk was very helpful and sorted it out. The beds were really comfortable but the pillows were lumpy ( I think they were filled with foam pieces). The room was clean and you could open the sliding door which was a plus. The only noisy distraction was the highway traffic, we did not hear the planes landing or taking of like you can from other airport hotels.
This hotel has a few restaurants within walking distance but nothing special. The Chophouse inside the hotel was a disappointment. We would not eat there again. The menu looked great but the food was a disappointment.

Room Tip: The 10th and 11th floors have fridges.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dawn I
Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

This experience did not meet our expectations. We were disappointed. After having an amazing time during our last trip to this hotel, we were disappointed to see that "they just didn't seem to care" as much this time. I don't know if there has been a change in management or change in staff but something was different that really affected us.

My daughter wanted to have her 16th birthday in Richmond with a couple friends, go to the night market etc. He one request: To be as high up as possible with a city view. We stayed on the 17th floor last time. I phoned up to make reservations and explain what I wanted: adjoining rooms with a view as high as possible. The person suggested I call the hotel directly with my reservation so that they could better take care of my request as I was speaking with the reservation centre. I promptly phoned the hotel. I was told that they now have a nightly fee for "rooms with a view". I made the reservation, made my requests for adjoining rooms as high up as possible with a city view. I explained that this was my daughter's 16th birthday. When it was my birthday at the Delta hotel they had a bottle of champagne waiting in the room when we arrived so I made sure to mention it just in case they did anything special.
We arrived after check in time and our rooms weren't ready. I asked which rooms they were and we were told we were on the 14th floor and they weren't adjoining. This was disappointing because we were paying a premium fee for the rooms and we weren't even as high up as we were the month before with no extra fee. I spoke with the manager and there were no adjoining rooms available. He saw the request on the computer but said the staff that took the reservation didn't put it in the appropriate place so it got over looked. He managed to get us on the 16th floor (still not as high as we were last time) with rooms 5 apart from each other. You would think a hotel would want the children supervised! The teens were nowhere near us. We had a highway view, they had a partial city view. Nothing special was done, no one said Happy Birthday...it was just a flop. I guess the hotel is just too big to remember the personal touches and to realize how important the little things are on special occasions. Having said that, we've stayed at very big hotels and they seem to still be able to be personal. We would stay here again but not during a special occasion.

Room Tip: The Columbia tower has nice views. Ask for a city view or airport view. Airport view has partial hi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family