“Strange Layout-Terrible Pool”

Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Winnipeg, Canada
“Strange Layout-Terrible Pool”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed over night for an early morning flight back home. Finding our hotel room was the first strange encounter - although very friendly staff tried to give us a brief map. We walked around and around. When we did get tour room and decided to go to the hot tub and pool we took a very long circuitous and very confusing walk and never did see a room clearly marked pool. When we figured it out by change the room was freezing cold, concrete and very uninviting with a very small pool with a kid's rope of buoys down the middle. Later the Chop bar played extremely loud high throbbing music (was almost empty) with a very weird decor vibe. We drove to Moxie's nearby. A strange smell permeated the hotel. The bed was very comfortable and so, I guess, the most important thing was good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was a great place to stay and park prior to our 6:30am flight from YVR to Cancun. It was so easy to park and then pick up our car when we arrived back. The room was just fine for one night and we enjoyed hanging out at the Shark Club the evening that we arrived. The shuttle bus was great - it arrived at the airport just as we walked out with our luggage and the driver was very pleasant. Would definitely stay here on our next trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights before and after a 2 week trip to Cuba and both nights were good. Our first night was on Jan 6th, we were in a nice King room in a tower with a great view. We had a very comfortable bed and got a good rest. The shuttle in the morning was a quick ride to the airport. Our second night was Jan 21st but our plane was delayed (Sunwing) so we missed the last shuttle. I called the hotel and they told me to take a Richmond Cab and they would cover the charge, and they did. The second night we had a King Suite, it was a very large room with a nice kitchen. We had no problems with the front desk and they called both times to make sure our room was ok. We were lucky 13 guests both nights and we received a special gift and letter both nights.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Summerlovin2014
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for several days. I found the rooms to be clean and what you would expect from a decent hotel. The rooms were too warm and the A/C would not run long enough to bring the temperature down. I tried sleeping with the balcony door open, but the noise from the highway was just too much to sleep through. Other than that the rooms was great.

I had to try 5 different floors to find an ice maker that worked or even existed were it was supposed to. I finally found a note on one of the doors that stated that "this ice machine was not functioning, you can find one on floor......). Before that, I had been to several other floor with no signage. Very annoying.

My biggest complaint is with the pool area. I used to be a lifeguard and aquatic supervisor for many years. I hold several pool operation certifications. I have a good knowledge of the BC Health Act and its requirements. What I found in the pool area of this hotel was surprising:

I was using the pool, hot tub, and slide in the evenings when it was dark outside. The slide was open and water was flowing so I decided to try it. As I climbed up the spiral staircase to reach the top, I found all of the lights burnt out making it extremely difficult to see, and impossible to read the guidelines for the water slide. There is also a green & red traffic light that tells the next person when they can safely proceed down the slide so collisions don't occur with the previous patron. This was also not working. So the slide was completely unlit with no signage that was readable, and no safety mechanism in place to prevent collisions.

The hot tub is potentially more dangerous. Most pools have multiple floor drains to reduce the velocity of the water flowing through them. Should a small person or child lay on the floor drains, there should be no chance of the suction from the drain holding them to the bottom of the pool. The hot tub at this hotel has floor drains that are astonishingly forceful. They are very small (perhaps 6-8" across) and if you place your feet together over one drain, it yanks them down onto the drain. This should not occur! There were several people one evening using towels around the hot tub and it is not an unlikely situation that a towel could fall into the pool unnoticed. I tried covering one of the drains with a towel to see what the effect might be and when I placed my foot over the other drain it was painful. Should a 5 year old try swimming under the water and drift over this drain, they would not be able to surface and I suspect the parent would have trouble pulling them off the drain. There have also been cases where kids have sat on a drain, and had the suction cause serious internal injury. I would guess this is also a possibility at this hot tub.

When I was finished my swim, I spoke with the manager at the front desk and expalined my concerns about the slide and hot tub. I even gave him options on how to change the valves on the hot tub plumbing to reduce the suction until someone could properly assess the situation. I got a very "standard response" --- "Thanks, I'll look into it". He did not seem to care at all.

4 days later, nothing had changed.

I presume the Sandman Signature - Vancouver Airport, has little regard for your or your children's safety. If you choose to stay here and you have kids, keep a close eye on them in the hot tub.

Room Tip: If you like a cool room, take a room facing North, away from the highway to minimize highway noise w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank SkydiverBC
Franklin J, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience regarding your room temperature. We will have this concern looked into and addressed with our maintenance department.

It is very unfortunate that we did not have the opportunity to meet with you and discuss your concerns in person. As hospitality professionals we take great pride in providing both services and an environment that exceeds our guests’ expectations.

Thank you for your comments regarding our pool. Kindly be informed that all of our facilities adhere to and abide by the guidelines set forth by our Province’s regulatory bodies. We would be happy to discuss any suggestions you would have to further improve the safety of our facilities.

I would invite you to contact my office directly so I may have the opportunity to work with you directly to resolve this situation to your satisfaction. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed for two night for celebrating the new year. This is my first time to stay here and free parking sounds really good for us. The room was about 150 for per night but it worth the price. Also, it is only 10 mins driving to the Vancouver airport. Very convenient place for people who stayed for transfer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed for one night dec 2013, we always stay the night before our vacations because you get to park for free during your vacation. they keep good care of your car. we got the presidential suite room 122 it was awesome little living room, couch giant bathroom and cozy bed. it was about 150 for a night. which was okay cause the parking alone at the airport is that price for a week. You get a free shuttle to and from the airport. the front desk people arent the best

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple