“Unexpected gem”

Takeya Sushi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #60 of 936 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My family of 7 went to Takeya on new year's eve, not sure what to expect. This simple, plain, small restaurant (10 tables) had an amazing menu, incredibly fresh food, attentive servers, and inexpensive prices. We had kids aged 6, 12 and 15 plus 4 adults, omnivores, vegetarians and carnivores, hot sake, cold drinks, 11 dishes plus 9 plates of sushi, and dessert, all for about $114. While we there they also did a ripping trade in take-out (its also called a Japanese deli) and the look of the sushi platters heading out the door for parties made our mouths water. Its a little tough to find, but we'll make the effort again!

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Found out about this little whole in the wall from my cousin who is Japanese. I asked him if you were to go for sushi in Richmond and he recommended Takeya Sushi. Tried it and it became one of my favorite Japanese restaurants. They have a great sushi selection and the rolls are great. Aside from sushi, they have your basic Japanese food like teriyaki, tempura, gyoza, etc. They tend to get busy during lunch. I eat there some times but I often by food to go. They are located at the strip mall on Francis and No.1 Road just a few doors down from Safeway.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

If you like good sushi in Richmond BC, you have Ichiro or Takeya (I found out both belong to the same ownership). But Takeya caters to lower budget, I guess because the location is not as expensive as Ichiro.
But you can rest assured that the quality is good, but the prices as slightly cheaper at Takeya.

I like going there for pickup, I order the tray of sushi for parties.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Takeya Sushi is our go-to Sushi take out place during the week when Mommy is too tired to cook dinner. Their sushi rolls & sashimis are great! But I wouldn't recommend their hot dishes very much. They are average, nothing spectacular about them. Their prices are great and their staff is nice & friendly. Nice neighbourhood place!

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Great spot for eat in or take out. We visit at least a couple times per month and there is something for everyone. Sushi is always fresh and there is a great selection. They offer lots of dishes, curry's, udon, tempura, gyoza. There is a great selection of bento boxes which are reasonable priced. Recommend you phone your take out order in as it gets very busy at dinner time.