“Decent hotel close to airport”

Quality Hotel Airport South
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Portland, Oregon
“Decent hotel close to airport”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is a decent hotel, a short drive to the airport and walking distance to the train to take you into downtown Vancouver. The free internet was nice. The free parking was a bonus, but it's limited, and the parking spots are really small. I was worried about having my car dinged. They have free breakfast, but it's pretty basic: boiled eggs, cereal, toast, fruit cocktail, toaster waffles, milk, juice, and a few other things.
I thought it was a little odd, and maybe unsanitary to have a coffee machine in the bathroom. Otherwise the bathroom was clean, but the shower curtain was in poor condition, with a few cracks and holes in the plastic. The rest of the room was also clean, but a little outdated. All in all this hotel is fine, but for the price if I were staying in Vancouver again I would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for one night in early August 2012 as a stopover between a flight from Toronto and a cruise sailing from Vancouver. While this hotel is not particularly fancy, I found it to be very good for our purposes.

First, it was very handy. The free shuttle from Vancouver airport came within fifteen minutes of our call (which was made from a free telephone in the arrivals hall). The hotel is in an area which seems like a nice downtown with a number of restaurants and pubs quite close by. As we arrived in the middle of the evening, we walked a couple of short blocks to a pizza place and picked up a nice pie to eat in our room. After checking out the next morning, we walked about four blocks to the Brighouse skytrain station for a 30-minute ride to the waterfront and our ship. (Even with luggage, this wasn't too onerous and the $3.75 price made this connection option very attractive.)

Second, for the price, the hotel was quite nice. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable with a nice balcony for sitting above the downtown street. I particularly liked the free breakfast area. It was bright, clean and big enough to accommodate a reasonable number of people at proper tables. The staff seemed quite helpful, especially when I made a mess of the waffle maker. (Perhaps some printed instructions would have been useful.)

I had no complaints with this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
100 Mile House, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Last week I stayed in this hotel with my family for a short stay. Previously one time I stayed here and I enjoyed my stay. The rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast is very good. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. The Manager is pleasant and he helps out extra mile to make the guest's stay a pleasant one. I recommend the travellers to try it out one time and I am sure you will feel the difference.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with Balcony
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sexysukie69
Richmond, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

To call my stay at the Quality Hotel in Richmond one of my worst travel experiences is, in itself, an understatement.

On the (Sunday) morning when I was almost ready to check out, at 11:20am I received a call from the front desk, a rather rude sounding individual who identified himself as the manager said that it was 20 minutes past the check out time & that the next guest was waiting for the room. I apologized & said I would be out of the room in 20 minutes & that I just needed to grab a quick shower. Then this manager told me that I had had a second person stay with me in the room, a woman who he had seen me with on camera in the hotel & that I should have been charged an additional $10 for this.

I was shocked by this accusation (which is false) to which he kept repeating the same thing over & over. When I finally went down to check out I tried to discuss this with the manager & rather than offering to take me aside to discuss this matter privately, in full view of other guests & staff he humiliated me, once again, with this groundless accusation. Later on when I said that I was going to write a review of my experience this manager said he would post on the internet the video that shows me with this woman. I also asked him to see the video (which I knew either did not exist or else would show me alone) which he refused to do, stating instead that he was going to show other people, just not me.

At present the manager of customer service with Choice Hotels in Canada (the franchisor) is conducting an inquiry into what went on & I have expressly asked this person to request that he be allowed to see this video & that I would like to see it too. For 100% certain it will not show me with some other woman. I am a very private person in public & I typically do not converse with strangers unless there is a reason to do so.

I am also a very truthful person & I found the actions of this (hotel) manager to be abusive & downright reprehensible, in fact I question what was going on in his head that could have caused him to act in this manner.

And one thing is for certain, I will never stay at this hotel again & I would never recommend that anyone else stay here either. I am also concerned about the statement issued by several representatives with Choice Hotels who told me (a) their policy is to remain neutral in events such as this & (b) the franchisee is also their customer - which I equate to so much for looking out for my interests which I perceive is secondary to who they view as their true customer, the franchisee & not me.

Once I am told of the outcome of this inquiry by the customer service manager for Choice Hotels I will follow up here with the pertinent information.

Room Tip: Based on my experience (personally) I would choose a different hotel, any hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank SteveBC88
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed here unexpectedly. The staff were wonderful and friendly. Great breakfast every morning. Perfect home away from home. Close to everything you need. Lovely Greek restaurant right next door. The "Mad Greek". Nice park steps from the back of the hotel. An oasis in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park. Lovely park behind hotel with the cutest bunnies everywhere.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gillian729
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights as our pre-cruise to Alaska recently. We hadn't stayed at hotels for years so was a little apprehensive about it. We're used to timeshare condos that has all the amenities, space and views. Well, needless to say, this is just a hotel. It is in Richmond, very close to the airport. We called the hotel upon arrival and the shuttle was there less than 20 minutes. Only a short ride we arrived at the hotel. Check-in was super fast. Security is tight as you need a valid room key to access the elevator. Our room faced the street, though I wished that it faced the park, which I will get to in a minute. I thought the noise would be bad from the street, but no, we didn't hear any noises. It was rather quiet. And, it was, surprisingly, a nice view to look onto, perhaps it's the greens throughout the city. We had a double queen for our family of four. My first impression is clean and tidy and comfortable. The beds were firm and pillows were fluffy. All of us slept well through our entire stay. The bathroom is rather big with a nice counter. I found coffee maker in the bathroom rather odd... but I later found out, it seems to be a norm here (same as the hotel we stayed at in Seattle). The staff is attentive. When I found out that I'd forgotten to bring our phone charger, the hotel manager let us go through a box-full of chargers that the guests had left behind. We didn't find one that fit so he let us borrowed one of his staff's. I thought that was really nice of him. The continental breakfast, is something to be said, it's wonderful. There were not un-healthy stuff like donuts (though I would love it if they did) but it was good that they provided all the healthy breakfast items, including make-you-own Belgium waffles. There were the same every morning. There were hard-boiled eggs, a varieties of bread, muffins, cereals, milk, OJ, AJ, bananas, etc. We really liked the breakfast. And, they were included in the hotel price, not to mention! The two staff who worked diligently to re-filled drinks, food, clean the counters, tables so that guests can sit down.
Here's the nicest part, it sits next to a very big park that the entrance is through the backdoor of the hotel. There was a huge pond with ducklings, all sorts of birds, and critters. Love to stroll through the willow-filled park that are accented by countless colors of flowers... must stroll through if you have some time!
So, I was a little disappointed that they didn't have on-site laundromat or a swimming pool, but, hey, this is not a 5-star or 4-star hotel. We were pleasantly surprised at how peaceful and quiet this hotel is considering how many guests they have on-site all the time.
We also walked to the Richmond Center (a shopping mall) and SkyTrain everyday. Lots of Chinese restaurants with good prices and huge portions. Next to the Staples has this tiny little Japanese restaurant serves up the freshest sushi there is! Explore the area and you'll find lots to do if you happen to have time to kill.

Room Tip: Ask for park-view rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank FunJourney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I gave this hotel three stars, not because there is anything wrong with it but be because it would be wrong to give the impression that it is a "5 star" hotel. We used this as a stopover for one night after a flight from UK and it was perfect for this use and very good value. Rooms were well equipped, very clean and had everything we could want. There is no restaurant but plenty of eateries on the road that the hotel sits on. The Richmond Mall is about two minutes walk down the road offering plenty of shopping, coffee and cheap eat opportunities.
A basic but perfectly good continental breakfast is provided buffet style adjacent to reception and is included in the room rate as is a constant supply of coffee.
So it does everything it says on the tin and we would definitely use it again.
In terms of one or two comments on the shuttle from the airport. On arrival make sure you phone them from the courtesy phone located at the shuttle stop and then they send it fairly quickly if its not already scheduled. Regular free shuttles leave from the hotel to the airport on the hour and it took about 15 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the back if road noise bothers you
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple