“Should have read reviews first and not gone!!”

Ninkazu Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #426 of 931 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We celebrated Family Day by taking our family out to ths restaurant. My son had been previously quite a number of times and said he had no problems with the service but ours was horrible. Not sure if we didn't know the "culture" or the "how to's" of doing All you can eat, but our experience was bad.

We expected a wait, which we did, and once we sat down we ordered our first round quickly. Tea was also served to us quickly, after that everything went downhill. Only 3/4 of the orders were ever received and we only placed two orders in total.

We must have waited over 1 hour for our Miso soup and I ordered a sunomono salad which came, wait for it, 2 hours after we ordered.. The terrible thing was we kept asking about our order and the curt reply back.. "it's coming".. We were never offered more tea and after 2.5 hours, we finally received and finished what we had ordered got up and left. A special memory was left tarnished.

I got the feeling that many other groups were treated to better service than us. We saw handfuls of food being served but we were ignored. We had rude brisk servers. We were just dumbfounded. Needless to say I did not leave a tip.

Please tell me why other tables were served so competently and we were not given the time of day? I hate to even bring this up but I wonder if certain types of people are just not welcome? If that is the case you are doing a good job.

We will not be back and for once I am so happy to leave a bad review so that others can take notice.

1  Thank richmonite
There are newer reviews for Ninkazu Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Went to Ninkazu for the lunch special and that I must say was reasonably priced however the dinner menu, even though more lavish, is certainly not cheap. We ordered the regular sashimi and the rolls, teriyaki chicken, Miso soup etc etc and it was what you would expect from a regular "all you can eat" place. Our bill came to $25.10 of which she rounded it off to $25.00. Yippee we got a discount at a Chinese business establishment, and that too without asking for it. Hehehehehe. The service I must say was like a yo yo. Some were very helpful while others just came and slide the dish on the table and walked away. No eye contact, no smile, no hello nothing. When we first entered we were greeted by the lady behind the counter with a smile and directed to our table. There we had another lady who promptly placed the order sheet and walked away but atleast she too smiled and I must say she was readily present when we had a question. She was the best server in there. Then we had the lady we brought the food. Holy, this lady it seemed got out of the wrong side of the bed or was not having a good day or simply that is how she was. When our first order came she came to the table and thumped to plate on the table (infact it felt more like she threw the plate) and walked away. Even though both my wife and I were sitting on the same side she left the plate at the other end of the table (and this happened with all the dishes she brought, not just the one off). Not a big deal if I had to stretch to the other part of the table, but customer service with this server was virtually non existent. Well the food itself was nice and fresh. The sashimi was cold and the rest of the dishes exactly as they she be. The order served promptly. The portions are small so please order extra the first time around. The washroom, I read someone on trip advisor said were not clean. Well when I went I must say the men's room was spotless and very clean. Did not get a chance to go into the ladies room hence, I cannot comment. :-)
Around an hour later we were done and I must say except for that one server our overall experience was good. The biggest issue going to this restaurant is finding parking. This time around we were lucky but when we were seated in the restaurant we saw quiet a few people trying to find a spot. And of-course you had the impark warden trigger happy to issue the first ticket even if you were 10 seconds late. While we were there he issued 2 tickets and actually seemed to enjoy doing it. :-)

1  Thank Jpart
Reviewed 25 September 2013

A large group of us came on a Sunday night. We had several in our party that had never been to an AYCE sushi, so didn't understand that you don't EACH place an order. tHE staff were patient, but not able to break up the orders, obviously. The food was good, though we were never offered any beverages at any time during the meal, besides tea.

Here's my reason for the poor rating. After eating we went to use the washrooms and they were DIRTY. i mean, beyond NOT clean, but NEVER cleaned except for mirrors and sinks and the toilet it self. The walls still had writing on them from the last reno, the floors were BLACK, the doors and handicap bars were FILTHY. As we left I noticed that the front door was also unclean. If that's what they LET us see, I can't imagine what the cooler looks like in a place where they serve RAW meat. Shudder. won't return or recommend.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Ninkazu is one of several all you can eat restaurants in Richmond.

The restaurant is located on the 2nd floor in the Central Square complex across the street from Aberdeen Centre.

We had reservations at 6:30 for 4 people. When we arrived we were promptly seated.

There is an extensive list of sashimi, sushi items and cooked items including:

• Salmon (farmed? – light orange colour)
• Tuna, toro
• Red snapper
• Squid
• Octupus
• Beef tataki
• Korean style salmon sashimi (marinated)
• Agedashi tofu,
• Chicken and pork katsu
• Udon noodle

Some of the more exotic (different) sushi we ate included:
• Lobster sushi (see photo)
• Abalone sushi (see photo)
• Shark fin sushi (see photo)
• Soft shell crab roll
• Temptation roll consisting of bacon, cucumber, papaya, tempura prawn topped off with layer of salmon in unagi sauce (from separate menu)

The tempura prawns were hot and cripsy.

The highlight for me were the shucked oysters on the half shell. I lost track of the numbers I ate after 12.

You can check out the extensive menu on their website.
I didn’t pay for dinner but I believe the Deluxe all you can eat was $24.99 and the Lite menu was $3 less.

The food arrived promptly and we did not have any problem with our orders being “short changed”. That is, we got everything we ordered.

The service was okay. Tea service was a little slow as we had to flag down the server at least 3 times for tea refills.

Some bloggers have rated this restaurant in the lower range.
I didn’t have any complaints about the food.
I would rated the overall dining experience at 3 to 3.25 – average.

Notes and Tips
There is a 2 hour time limit. Be aware that there is a charge for ordering food and and not eating it. This includes the sushi rice!

Included in the Deluxe all you can eat are free Pepsi beverages.
Also included in the deluxe menu is the “specialty menu” sushi rolls. See photo of menu. If you order the Lite menu (less menu choices) the rolls are ½ price. Each order has 4 pieces.

There is parking in the small parking lot for the building complex. If you can’t find parking on site, you can probably find parking in the Aberdeen Centre covered parking lot across the streat. Just a warning, parking is reserved for Aberdeen Centre customers.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

There's nothing unique or special about this restaurant. It's an okay restaurant with decent pricing. The food is good, but nothing spectacular. The service isn't really that good. After we finished our water jug, they didn't bother to refill it. They took the jug away didn't even come back with a full jug. They also forgot some small requests. The restaurant's just alright.