“Fine if you're really hungry, or just curious”

Ninkazu Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #406 of 1,003 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2015

My teenager and I went here because we were curious about the concept of Japanese all-you-can-eat. The server was very busy but nice enough to explain the concept to us and answer our questions (there are 3 levels to the menu, and you have two hours to eat all you want; the most basic level should be fine for anyone but the biggest sashimi hound). Some of the items were very good (excellent chopped scallop sushi, very good gyoza, very good sushi rolls) and some not so good (the tuna sashimi had been frozen and was not fully defrosted). I liked that the servings were small enough (e.g., 3 pcs to a roll) to allow us to try many things, much like dim sum. The green tea was outstanding. Dessert was a nice mango pudding. The higher (more expensive) menu levels are really for those who just want larger portions of items, as you can still get sashimi at the lower levels, just not as much. Cost for the two of us was about CDN$40, which is super-cheap for sushi. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

Reviewed 5 January 2015

I have been to Ninkazu Japanese Restaurant several times, the first couple in a large group, and the most recent one with my wife and 16-month-old son.

I must first point out that, though billed as a Japanese restaurant, Ninkazu is actually a Chinese restaurant offering Japanese food. By this, I mean the restaurant actually runs very much like your typical Chinese restaurant, with fast but often less-than-friendly service, less-than-satisfactory cleanliness in the washroom, and eating options that appear to be good bargains. Authentic Japanese restaurants, at least to my knowledge, do not offer "All You Can Eat" options, but Ninkazu does to allow you to get your grub on. I am saying all this not as a praise nor a criticism of the restaurant - it's just that, as you come in, you should be treating it like you are coming to a typical Chinese restaurant.

With that in mind, I would say my most recent visit to Ninkazu went all right, with nothing that went far beyond or under my expectations. We came during a week night when other Japanese restaurants nearby had a healthy line-up, and since my son needed to sleep by a certain time, we didn't want to wait in line for forty minutes for other choices. There were plenty of seats available at Ninkazu, so we decided to eat here.

Food Quality: When you are not taking the all-you-can-eat option, the restaurant offers a menu that has a decent variety. With just two adults, you could not possibly try too many things. In fact, we basically just ordered a fried rice, a ramen, and some sushi. Food arrived very quickly as expected. And food tasted decent - not great, but decent.

Service: Service was hit-and-miss. Like most Chinese restaurants, the service you receive depends largely on who has been assigned your server and his/her personality, rather than like other restaurants that place a higher emphasis on service that would make sure all staff would serve at a certain level. We were fortunate enough that our server was courteous and quite efficient, but I could see patrons nearby who were openly complaining about theirs.

Some reviewers have complained about the lack of cleanliness at this restaurant. Again, using the standard of a typical Chinese restaurant, Ninkazu is actually quite all right - its main dining area is spacious and quite clean. The bathroom is actually cleaned regularly, as indicated by the clean-up schedule that is posted on the door. But like most Chinese restaurants, even though it has been cleaned very regularly, there is still water and waste paper on the floor. To be honest, I think this is more of a testament of the patrons who abuse the facility, rather than the staff who look after the facility. I do believe that the restaurant needs to do a better job to ensure the cleanliness of its entire facility, but in a way, I can understand why it is not as clean as it should be.

Value: For around $25 a person, you will get filled. Like I have said, the food is decent but not great. It is not of great value, but again, it is not bad.

Overall, I think Ninkazu is an average restaurant offering Japanese food. It's not a restaurant I will try to avoid; at the same time, it's not one I'm dying to visit again.

Reviewed 5 October 2014

The food was good. but take a look at the photos of the washroom. can you imagine what the kitchen looks like where the public CAN'T see it?

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Group of 6 went for late night, All You Can Eat. Very good price and we ended up eating lots of food! Variety of options so that if you aren't an avid sushi eater you can still enjoy it. With service, they forgot some of our orders so we had to order again. Bathrooms were not clean one bit. If you're going just for taste of food, go here.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Although this restaurant is quite expensive, the food makes it worthwhile. The waitress was very friendly and quick. The food was so delicious we ended up eating way to much. We will definitely be eating here again!