“So disappointed”

La Quinta Inn Vancouver Airport
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I wanted to like this hotel. I really, really did. Contributing to TripAdvisor as frequently as I do, this review went from an automatic 4 in my head, to a 3 after experiencing the hotel, to a 2 on checkout. Let's hope they don't "follow up" with me before I finish, and turn it into a 1.

I booked this hotel because it gets the best TripAdvisor reviews of any in it's price range, and because it is a ridiculously convenient location. Alexandra Rd is nicknamed "Food Road" because of the many restaurants, and the neighborhood is "Golden Village", the new Chinatown that has flourished in since the 1990's. We visit Richmond specifically for the Asian food and atmosphere. The room was more expensive than the Ramada, where I stayed recently, but not a lot more, and the location was so convenient I envisioned La Quinta becoming my new base of operations for many future trips to Richmond.

As always, I reserved online and noted in comments "Will pay cash at checkout." On arrival, I was told if I am paying cash, I must pay in advance. Never had this happen before at any hotel above "fleabag" in quality, but c'est la vie, that is why I stop and exchange currency as soon as I arrive in Richmond. I'm given a receipt, which I put away, expecting I will never need it again.

The room was satisfactory, except for the fact it had no bathtub, only a shower stall. The adjustable shower head was mounted so high, my wife could not reach it. Being unable to take a bath is a big deal for my wife. It occurred to me I may have to upgrade the room for a bathtub, which would then make it significantly more expensive than the Ramada. All night long we could hear our neighbors screeching at each other in Chinese through the paper-thin walls. The beds creaked loudly every time I rolled, loud enough to wake my wife up. This may not be my new base of operations after all.

Breakfast is better than the Ramada, there are boiled eggs, and no wait for the waffle makers. There is also no seating, though. Hordes of Asian visitors rush any available table like it's the last chopper out of Saigon.

Checkout, and it really hits the fan. The woman at the counter smiles and says, "I see you'll be paying cash?". No, I already PAID cash, and am forced to dig the receipt out of my suitcase to prove it. She then says, "This isn't a receipt for payment, it's a receipt for advance deposit for other services." WTF??? What other services does La Quinta provide that are going to cost me $181.70? And why would I pre-pay for other services the exact amount of my room charge? She points out the check-in desk rep noted that I will pay at check-out; no, I noted that, in the comments section when I reserved online. This goes back and forth for awhile, Eventually she tells me she will check with the check-in receptionist, if she remembers taking cash then no problem, if they need to run my card again, they will call first. Ever get the vibe from a customer service person that you are being told a lie, to get rid of you? That is exactly what I felt.

After returning home, I called my credit card company, and explained the situation. So far, the situation has not escalated further. I will never return to La Quinta, and am still in search of my Richmond base of operations.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn Vancouver Airport

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Hotel La Quinta in Richmond. BC is an excellent hotel with most friendly and accomodating employees. The rooms are clean and very efficient furniture. The location is excellent and easy to find if travelling with a car. The breakfast could be better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We just stayed two nights here and it is an excellent location. There was some airport take-off noise, but not enough to keep you awake. The breakfast was typical continental with a couple of hot items. LaQuintas are great!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stay there every year and are never disappointed, the staff are awesome and the rooms are very comfortable. The rates are good and the breakfast is lovely for continental with lots of choices, even healthy ones! Its always consistent no surprises, we will continue to be there guests on our future travels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Over the past several years, my wife and I have stayed many times at this La Quinta location. It has always been a friendly, quiet, clean, and economical environment to overnight (or stay for several days). Although we can afford to stay at more expensive hotels, there is no need as this La Quinta offers the same and more than other area hotels. We will continue to stay at this La Quinta whenever we are in this area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel is clean,comfy beds,convenient area.Breakfast and parking is included.There is a hot tub and pool,pool is VERY small.Nicely located near Richmond center and lots of restaurants.
I recommended this hotel to our Lacrosse team,now we will be returning in November for a Lacrosse tourney.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family