“A decent hotel to stay in”

La Quinta Inn Vancouver Airport
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Edmonton, Canada
“A decent hotel to stay in”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stay at the La Quinta Inn on a regular basis when we pass by Vancouver as it is a nice and reasonably priced hotel. It has free breakfast, wi-fi and parking so good value for money. The parking lot, however, is a little small and often gets full during busy seasons. While there is street parking, they are all metered and one must remember to put money in at 9 am. The breakfast is good but it can get crowded and finding a spot could be tough. They often run out of food/supplies since it is busy so one would need to ask the staff to re-supply on a regular basis. Also they clear the breakfast area very quickly so don’t be late. Coffee and hot water is available in the lobby area all day. There are free trolleys in the lobby so if one can get lug gages in and out easier. The rooms are very standard, functional but not luxurious as expected. Front desk staff are friendly and helpful. Overall, a decent hotel to stay in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Marysville, United States
Reviewed 23 November 2013

As usual, a typical, much better then a basic, less than a luxurious, place to stay. A very efficient staff for everything from getting more towels, to answering questions, giving directions, recommending restaurants. The rooms were nice, and a microwave would have been nice.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed 20 November 2013

La Quinta is a good value-for-money airport hotel. My wife and I arrived in Vancouver at night after a long day and needed a convenient place to crash for the night before going into Vancouver the following day. La Quinta was perfect. The shuttle came promptly after we called on the courtesy phone,we had a short ride to the hotel, check-in was smooth, room was clean and comfortable and everything worked. The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate. There is also a large shopping mall within a five minute walk.
Tip: if you're going into downtown Vancouver as we were, get the shuttle driver to drop you at the Lansdowne Canada Line sky train station, rather than take you back to the airport. That way you avoid the $5 surcharge if you take it from the airport. The helpful driver suggested this.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

The rooms are clean, no bathtub in a full double room. Air conditioner, nice sized TV and mini fridge. Bed is a memory foam-- fairly comfortable.
Pool is small but deep and on main level, facing a road. Hot tub wasn't "hot", more so felt like a heated pool. Fitness room has four items-- one treadmill, one stationary bike, one step machine and one weight bench. Shuttles runs on the hour and every half hour, the vehicle and the driver were fantastic.
Overall great value for under 90$ a night, especially considering there's a breakfast included and free WiFi (although it is a strong signal it is slow service).
Would stay again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I wanted to like this hotel. I really, really did. Contributing to TripAdvisor as frequently as I do, this review went from an automatic 4 in my head, to a 3 after experiencing the hotel, to a 2 on checkout. Let's hope they don't "follow up" with me before I finish, and turn it into a 1.

I booked this hotel because it gets the best TripAdvisor reviews of any in it's price range, and because it is a ridiculously convenient location. Alexandra Rd is nicknamed "Food Road" because of the many restaurants, and the neighborhood is "Golden Village", the new Chinatown that has flourished in since the 1990's. We visit Richmond specifically for the Asian food and atmosphere. The room was more expensive than the Ramada, where I stayed recently, but not a lot more, and the location was so convenient I envisioned La Quinta becoming my new base of operations for many future trips to Richmond.

As always, I reserved online and noted in comments "Will pay cash at checkout." On arrival, I was told if I am paying cash, I must pay in advance. Never had this happen before at any hotel above "fleabag" in quality, but c'est la vie, that is why I stop and exchange currency as soon as I arrive in Richmond. I'm given a receipt, which I put away, expecting I will never need it again.

The room was satisfactory, except for the fact it had no bathtub, only a shower stall. The adjustable shower head was mounted so high, my wife could not reach it. Being unable to take a bath is a big deal for my wife. It occurred to me I may have to upgrade the room for a bathtub, which would then make it significantly more expensive than the Ramada. All night long we could hear our neighbors screeching at each other in Chinese through the paper-thin walls. The beds creaked loudly every time I rolled, loud enough to wake my wife up. This may not be my new base of operations after all.

Breakfast is better than the Ramada, there are boiled eggs, and no wait for the waffle makers. There is also no seating, though. Hordes of Asian visitors rush any available table like it's the last chopper out of Saigon.

Checkout, and it really hits the fan. The woman at the counter smiles and says, "I see you'll be paying cash?". No, I already PAID cash, and am forced to dig the receipt out of my suitcase to prove it. She then says, "This isn't a receipt for payment, it's a receipt for advance deposit for other services." WTF??? What other services does La Quinta provide that are going to cost me $181.70? And why would I pre-pay for other services the exact amount of my room charge? She points out the check-in desk rep noted that I will pay at check-out; no, I noted that, in the comments section when I reserved online. This goes back and forth for awhile, Eventually she tells me she will check with the check-in receptionist, if she remembers taking cash then no problem, if they need to run my card again, they will call first. Ever get the vibe from a customer service person that you are being told a lie, to get rid of you? That is exactly what I felt.

After returning home, I called my credit card company, and explained the situation. So far, the situation has not escalated further. I will never return to La Quinta, and am still in search of my Richmond base of operations.

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Hotel La Quinta in Richmond. BC is an excellent hotel with most friendly and accomodating employees. The rooms are clean and very efficient furniture. The location is excellent and easy to find if travelling with a car. The breakfast could be better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Regina, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We just stayed two nights here and it is an excellent location. There was some airport take-off noise, but not enough to keep you awake. The breakfast was typical continental with a couple of hot items. LaQuintas are great!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business