“A great weekend get away”

River Rock Casino Resort
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Abbotsford
“A great weekend get away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Used the River rock as a base for two nights of PR in Vancouver. From check in to check out the service was exceptional. All aspects of our stay were first rate. Nothing was lacking. Very comfortable and quiet rooms. Super fast elevators. The spa is a very nice place to escape to some tranquility. We found the coffee shop very handy for a 'fix' and an excellent pastry. I highly recommend this resort as a destination or a base to discover Vancouver and Richmond.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve M
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we are glad we were able to give a pleasant getaway. We feel we have a little oasis here that allow our guests to getaway for however long they like and receive tthe "River Rock Experience" we hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

I brought my two daughters to celebrate from Bellevue WA and was completely blown away! Michael and Bay from valet were very friendly, utterly funny and made us all feel like princesses.

Aside from the management team giving us a hard time about two bottles of wine, we had a really nice time. The pool was clean and we ate at the all you can eat buffet, played the slots and enjoyed our room and plenty of hot water in the shower. Thank you to Kate helping my daughters during a minor emergency in the night, she provided the best customer service I've ever had an absolute asset. Can not wait to return or maybe we should just move in forever. thank you. Princess Ruth...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your response, my appologies if their was any confusion with our liqour policy. We are so very pleased that we were able to make you feel special as that is what we strive for. Michael, Bay and Kate doing an outstanding job for us and we are proud to have them as a part of our family. We hope to welcome you back again sometime.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stayed earlier this month for a fantastic close to home getaway! Our main reason was to let our three toddlers , 3 and under swim!! Adeel, the manager,was superb and paid close attention to our demands and he more than kept his promise of a great family getaway! From valet to check out, every person that assisted us, impressed my family greatly! Rooms were spotless. View of planes, boats and sky train kept our trio quiet for hours!! Their pool is one if the best we ever swam! Water slide and temperature of water were added bonuses! Perfection!!
Both times we ordered room service, meals were hot, delicious and beautifully plated! The morning breakfast buffet is outstanding and wait staff could not be any friendlier. When young ones leave saying," that was the best ever!"it speaks volumes!!
Thank you to the hard working devoted employees if the River Rock establishment!
We will be back!
Gosal crew!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Sharzita
Thank you for your response, we very much enjoy having families stay with us. We are a bit of a hidden secret for families. Please look for our upcoming summer specials for families such as yours. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Abbotsford, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

We attended an event at the River Rock Hotel, April 13th. What a great venue for a banquet, the food was excellent and served in a timely manner. There is so much to do, from spending some time in the Casino, to listening to the fabulous band that was playing. We stayed at the hotel in a Penthouse Suite; the room was amazing, very clean and beautiful. The bed was comfy (I wanted to take it home with me) and the sheets very soft. The soaker tub was fantastic and I really didn't want to get out. Jana Yackel made the stay incredible and we can’t wait to go back. Thanks to everyone at the River Rock.

Room Tip: I would stay on the Casino side when I go again.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 482Cat
Thank you very much for your feedback, we are so glad that you enjoyed your event and your stay with us. Jana Yackel, as Director of Sales does exemplary work continously. Thank you for making note of it. We hope to see you again!
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

The only reason why I am giving this an overall "Poor" instead of "Terrible" is because of the incredibly friendly staff in Tramonto's. Thank you to our server and Restaurant Manager for being warm and friendly! Please know that this review does not reflect at all on the experience we had in your restaurant.

The reason for this rating is because of inconsistent, and highly unacceptable, check-in procedures. We were the only guests checking in at the time, and there was one Front Desk clerk there. It started out fine, albeit a bit lengthy, but quickly started to deterioate once she asked to make a copy of both my credit card and driver's license. I thought this was strange, but didn't say anything at the time, as I thought that is was a Canadaian hotel procedure (We are from WA State). However I became very concerned when she asked for my husband's driver's license (he was not on the reservation, nor paying) and said that she was going to make a photocopy of that as well! She disappeared for a few minutes to make the copies, and then finished our check-in. Again, I wasn't sure if this was "normal" procedure, so didn't say anything. However, it bothered me all night long, so I decided to get up early in the morning and speak to the Manager-on-Duty.

When I asked her if this was their normal check-in procedure, she said it was not. She was not able to explain to me why the Front Desk Clerk strayed from the norm, and said she would look into it and call me back. In the meantime, I confirmed with a relative, that works in the industry in BC, that they absolutely do not take copies of any ID or even credit card, as the credit card is normally just swiped through the machine and it isn't necessary. I also asked two guests who were riding the elevator with me, if they experienced this at check-in, and they said they had not. I felt very violated, and somehow profiled, as I couldn't think of any other reason why this would have happened. True to her word, the MOD did call me back, but all she said was that we were definitely not profiled and they are a multi-cultural hotel. She apologized, and said that they have to check ID's when adding someone to a profile. The opposite of what she told me earlier, but fine. I decided I would send an email to the GM with my concerns, and received several responses back from the Hotel Manager, none of which answered my question as to "why" this happened. He apologized for the way I felt, assured me that we weren't profiled in any way, and said he would bring it up at the next Front Desk meeting, to see if they could somehow change their procedure. While I appreciated his prompt return of my email, he really did not make me feel satisfied or answer the bottom line question.

As a hotel veteran for 12 years (Human Resources), I have never worked at, or stayed at a hotel that takes photocopies of credit cards and/or ID's. Ever. This practice is scary and frankly, unacceptable. It is particularly unacceptable if you do not do this same practice with every single guest, as it leaves the guest to feel that they were somehow singled out when you stray from your normal practice. The MOD herself confirmed that this is not their normal practice. She, along with the Hotel Manager, did suggest that perhaps it was "easier" to take a copy of my husband's ID, rather than just ask his name. I thought that was a strange comment, considering it took her several minutes to ask for the ID, wait for him to produce it, walk to the back to make a copy, and return. The whole experience was just unsettling, and whether we were profiled or not, this should not be a typical hotel practice. Our industry is open to fraud and theft on an everyday basis, and when we are exhibiting practices such as this one, I can see how it happens.

The purpose of our trip was to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Needless to say, we left there with a very bad taste in our mouth, and will not return. Nor can I recommend this resort to any of our friends or family. I highly suggest that if this happens to you, that you question why it is happening, as it is definitely not "normal" hotel procedure.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KristieR942
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear KristieR942,

Thank you for your feedback. River Rock has already spoken to you in depth about this situation and it is very unformtunate that you do not feel it has been resolved. We assure you that we have investiagted this in depth and always look for opportunities to improve our services. If you have any further concerns, please contact me personally at rmonteiro@riverrock.com

Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I think it's fair to say that River Rock has succeeded in differentiating itself from other hotels in so many ways. Certainly, it is a lovely facility with great rooms and a very convenient location, but what impressed me the most was the service.Every staff member we encountered from the desk manager to the restaurant staff, demonstrated a genuine desire to help and went ut of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. It really is a refreshing experience. I think most hotels could learn a few things from this place. Would I stay there again?...Absolutely.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HaroldR122
Dear HaroldR122,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and loved the service we provide to our guests. We are happy to hear you would stay with us again and I will be passing on this wonderful review to our colleagues.

Roland Monteiro
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I have already reviewed the rooms and other wonderful features of this resort - I want to review the staff this time. Travelling with kids can be challenging at times - especially when there are special needs. The staff always go above and beyond, and here are some examples:

- HOUSEKEEPING STAFF have brought us everything from a toothbrush and paste, to a microwave in the middle of the night to heat up food for our child with severe dietary restrictions.

- the VALET and BELL STAFF not only greet us each time we arrive, but also make a special point to greet our children, and make them feel special.

- When we realized we forgot some important dietary items for our child, ROOM SERVICE/DINING STAFF have sought out off-menu food, even though it was not at all easy for them to do so.

On our most recent stay, the SERVER at Lulu's Lounge kindly agreed to package up food for us to take to our room, so we could eat the food we wanted, but with the kids (who can't go into the lounge). Also, the CONCIERGE gave some keychains and pens to the kids when we stopped to ask a question.

The River Rock truly has the best staff ever! It is amazing to ask so much from a business, and be treated so incredibly well. Five Stars (plus!).

Room Tip: There are two sides - the hotel side and the resort side. Make sure you know which you want to book...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mel O
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Mel O,

I cant thank you enough for taking the time to tell us how wonderful the River Rock Staff are every time you stay with us! We want to provide each guest with the River Rock Experience so they leave with wonderful memories and have exceptional time here. I will be passing on your kind words to our colleagues as I know they will greatly appreciate them.

We hope to have you and your family back again soon.

Roland Monteiro