“great weekend, worth the stay”

River Rock Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Victoria, Canada
“great weekend, worth the stay”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

we stayed in a suite with a view of the water, and spent the night at the casino gambling with friends, I loved it and would do it again. just so you know their is nothing else in the area so if you go their and do not have a car you will be trapped and the surrounding area is not walkable at night............the sky train heads by though so easy to get around
the staff was very friendly,, I need to thank Rachel the concierge for all her help and she made our stay great.
the suites were a good size, very clean with a good size bathroom.. we had friends in the regular rooms and they were good as well. The pool was amazing with a water slide and a good size hot tub.
we ate breakfast at the buffet and it was o.k., ate dinner at the food court and it had a good selection,,, their are very long lines to the buffet so make a reservation or make other plans,

overall I would recommend this hotel and would go back

1 Thank Kev R
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Kev R,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your patronage and happy Rachel at concierge was able to help you. She is such a fantastic colleague and I will most defintely pass on your feedback. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Roland Monteiro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Enjoyed a New Year's Eve stay. Good service from all departments, excellent lounge and many dining options....forget the buffet....always a long wait! Suites comfortable more like junior suites though....beds ok but not great. Overall, enjoyed the experinece...many options available to enjoy new year's eve!!

Dear brookebrian,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed New Years Eve with us and were able to enjoy the atmosphere and amenities we provide. Happy New Year & we hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We often stay at River Rock when visiting Vancouver. The proximity to the Airport and Canada line makes this an ideal location. The parking is convenient, if you stay at "The Hotel" it is secure underground parking, if you stay at the resort its in the parkade both are free, their is the option of valet at both venues for a $12 fee, which is 1/3 the price of the downtown hotels. For entertainment they have the casino which is one of the best in BC, in Victoria we have a terrible casino so Vancouver and Vegas are our only options to play poker have fun and catch a show now and then. The rooms are clean and the staff have always been very helpful and professional. As an example their is one poker room manager named Tang "I think" who works the graveyard shift @ RR I watched as he handled several difficult situations with such professionalism and class that he should be working at the Wynn or Aria. Anyway for those that want a weekend getaway in Vancouver the RR is by far the best choice. Note if attending a hockey game, lions game or concert you are only 20 minutes away on the Canada line with no traffic concerns.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear FirstGoal,

Thank you for the fantastic review! We appreciate your time and telling us about your experiences at the River Rock. Our colleagues love what they do and it definitely shows in their professionalism. I will pass on your comments to the Poker department as they would love to hear it. We hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I'm not sure how a brow tint can go so terribly wrong, but I ended up looking like someone had gone amok with a brown felt marker (I have salt & pepper hair, the pepper bit being black - never had brown hair) fortunately the lady doing my nails took pity on me and she and another lady took over and did goodness only knows what to try and improve it. Not a bad job in the end but definitely didn't look like me. They did not charge for the tint and gave me some products as recompense. Three days later the polish on my fingers has all peeled off in sheets, never had that happen before. All in all a pretty bad experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ozart
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Ozart,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the Absolute Spa. I will pass this on to their management as we are two seperate companies and they should definitely hear about your experience. I am glad it all ended up working out but do apologize that you did not have the spa relaxation that everyone should have. I hope you will come and stay with us at the River Rock Casino Resort sometime soon.

White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Kind Attn:- Mr. Ronald Monteiro

Dear Mr. Monteiro,

I am writing this to you with great hope and expectation and in my hard core belief that Customer Satisfaction is still the whole and sole motive of the hospitality industry that I am very passionate about.

My reservation number is 940159 and I am checking in tomorrow morning, December 31st, with a party of 8 people to celebrate the New Year 2014 at your resort and Casino that I have heard great reviews about, however, to my much shocking experience with the reservations at the hotel along with the Manager named ANDREW, has already dampered my spirits, hence I am reaching out to you.

Me and my family friend had booked two 1 bedroom suites each around November 30th for the party of 8 people to celebrate and spend 1 night on December 31st at the hotel. My friend luckily got the Marina suite (and that to my information now includes valet parking and breakfast for 4). When my friend handed over the phone to me to book my suite, the reservation officer on the other end told me the only other 1 bedroom suite available was a smaller one but she will ensure to include the valet parking and the breakfast for 4 people as well. To my much happiness I provided my credit card details and booked the room for $366.85 (CDN, including taxes). Please also note that my friend advised me that he has a contact at the hotel (an employee) and that this contact has always said the best things about the hotel & the casino. We were certain that our NYE 2014 is going to be a memorable experience. Note:- This contact has nothing to do with our reservation and rates, I presumed that it might have, but I was wrong.

Here is where the unpleasantness begins:-

I went through the confirmation email from the hotel today and read that all guests are offerred free parking on the premises of the hotel, I wanted to ensure that we are still getting free valet parking as promised and just like our friends in the Marina suite so we don't run around trying to find the parking and then walking 15 minutes to get to the hotel entrance in our high heels and bags.

I called the hotel and was connected to a reservation officer named "Sheeva", I asked her about the valet parking and she advised me that valet parking is not included in our room rate. I was now almost certain that the breakfast was not going to be included either and I was right - Sheeva confimred that the breakfast was not included either, I explained her the whole situation and told her I was promised breakfast and valet parking by the lady who booked the suite for me and took my credit card details but Sheeva's best solution was to offer me another Marina suite, now available, for a great price of $420 plus taxes, she suggested this way I will get free breakfast and valet parking. I was a little baffled at the suggestion and I politely declined her offer. She then took down my number and told me she will connect with the Manager and call me back. My conversation with Sheeva was almost 30 minutes.

After not hearing from Sheeva for almost 3 hours, I called the hotel again and this time I was transferred over to someone by the name of ANDREW (please note that at this time, I did not know that Andrew was the duty Manager for the night). I brought to Andrew's attention that I am unhappy with the fact that my reservation was handled poorly and that I am not being offerred what I was at the time of my booking. I also told Andrew that I was promised a phone call from the Manager by Sheeva but after waiting for 3 long hours, I decided to call myself (another note - Andrew still did not disclose the fact that he is the Manager for the night, no apology either). I then explained the whole story to Andrew again but here is the interesting part - for some reason, all Andrew paid attention to was our contact at the Casino who referred us to the casino with a good word.

Andrew's only suggestion was to call/talk to my friend (the one who has booked the Marina suite) at 9:00 p.m. at night so that he can give away the name of the contact at the Casino. At this point in time to my horror, I already knew I was dealing with almost a lost cause. I took a deep breath and I suggested that tomorrow at the time of the check in, I will ensure this gets sorted out. Of course, Andrew did not hesitate and agreed. After my chat with Andrew I felt pretty unhappy and sad and wondered why wasn't the Manager able to call me back, I presumed that maybe the Manager was never made aware of the situation so I decided to give it one last try and called and asked for the Manager. To my shock, Andrew picked up the phone - I asked him if HE was the Manager and he said YES he was. I was absolutely tounge tied as I couldnt believe him being the Manager and handling this situation so poorly. I conveyed to him in all humbleness that he is asking me to prove a phone conversation with the reservation officer and that there is no way of me being able to do that. How do I prove that I was etiher lied upon or the reservation lady genuinely made an error and my reservation got slipped through the cracks?

Andrew asked me to provide the name of the contact at the Casino once again who had put in the good word for the hotel so he can put down in the notes to be able to give free breakfast for 4 and I said to him, it's not the contact who made our reservations, it was the reservations officer who promised us the parking and the breakfast. Andrew continued by notifying me that this contact at the Casino needs to be reported to the higher authority at the hotel so that he does not go around and promise guests just like he did to us - I explained Andrew once again that the contact at the hotel did not have any hand at the room rates at all. At this time I had completely lost my patience and I told him that he has already ruined the whole experience for me and my friends and family for the NYE and that even though I am a supervisor, I know how to handle customers better in difficult situations, he had the audacity to answer back by advising me that he is a Manager and that we are talking another lever here. Now what do you say to that? How do to handle a situation like that Mr. Monteiro? How do you explain to a person who has gone through a much professional and hard core training under Hotel Management but still has no clue what customer satisfaction is about?

I have travelled the world and have lived quite a few years in Australia, NZ, Singapore, Thailand etc. I have many brands under my belt such as Pepsico, Samsung and The Grand Hyatt, I know what customer service is about as that is what I was thought as Rule# 1 at The Hyatt - which is "The customer is always right"!

Mr. Monteiro - I do not want Free Breakfast, I do not seek Free Valet Parking, it is my very humble request that you personally look this this matter and not let this be a lost cause. No guest should be treated like this especially at your Casino that has a great name and that too through a Manager.

Andrew must learn to give respect to the guests, treat them right and to determine the difference between genuine and not so genuine guests. Everyone makes mistakes, but as long as we learn from them and make the new ones each time.

One last note - Andrew did offer free breakfast at the very end of the conversation on the last call with a very heavy heart and nasty voice - I very politely declined his offer as it is now a matter of self respect and not about valet parking/breakfast.

I will leave this matter in your very capabale hands and will hope you respond at your earliest time and convenience. Thank you very much for your time in advance.

Best regards,

Anu Sohdi

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Whiterockchik
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Whiterockchik,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I have spoken with our Hotel Manager and he mentioned you and him have spoken and solved the issues at hand. I am sorry that it was not explained better to you regarding what room types and rates receive free breakfast. That is our fault and reservations has been spoken to. Thank you for your patronage and I hope you will come and stay with us again.

London, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Was $15 CDN cab ride from airport to hotel. But you didn't hear planes taking off all night. Rooms were very clean, comfortable. Bathrooms nice and big! Robes supplied. Food is great although not overly cheap and there isn't much around to leave the hotel and go to. Casino seemed busy the whole time we were there but we didn't go into it. Curve bar is great, good servers and great selection of drinks.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kelly S,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. The Canada Line also runs straight from the aiport right to our door at Bridgepoort station if you ever wanted to forego a taxi. I am happy you enjoyed Curve lounge and all the amenities we provide. Thank you again and we hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Richmond, BC
Reviewed 23 December 2013

First of all, let me say this is not my first time going to River Rock. In fact, this is the third time for my wife and I going together. I would say my 1st visit and my last has matched the "4 Diamond Rewards" that they win every year. The rooms were totally awesome at the River Rock Resort side (I would skip the hotel unless you absolutely want to try it out), and their breakfast buffet and service were all excellent and unparalleled to all the hotels I stayed in Richmond.

The only thing that i would comment on would be the Check In process. While it is my own fault to renew my driving license ID a day before we stay at River Rock, I was almost immediate told that there's no way for me to check in without going home and get my passport without my picture ID. I've asked further is there any other alternative, the lady was giving me an attitude and said: "It is a basic fact that you need a picture ID. Without it, I can't help you." I've asked her really? It is snowing outside, and it took me a while before I can pick up my car, and then come back to the hotel just to check in. She then turns around, and asked me a series of security questions, which I have the answers to. Finally, she said, "I will try to call my manager and ask, there's no guarantee what her availability is, and I will not be held responsible if she say No to your request." The ironic part is, that the manager has an alternative. She offers to ask whether another guest have the driver license with Photo ID, so the room can be checked in under her name instead.

The reason for me to write this review, is she then asked the manager 3 times, "Are you sure about this? Should we not get the guests to go back and get his passport?" I know this is a CYA for yourself, but really? Don't do it in front of the front counter, in front of your clients like that. Working in the service industry since my high school graduation tells me, you should always trying to helpful, instead of adding more stress to a situation like this. At the end, she gave in and let my wife use her ID to check in because the manager override. My package also comes with buffet vouchers, but she almost didn't give it to me until I asked her.

I have to comment on the Check Out process as well. The lady checking us out was friendly, and very helpful. She also asked whether it was a nice stay for us. What a big difference.

I would come back to this Hotel any time, because of the room and food services. You can say I am a little harsh to the check in lady, but this is to be expected as a "4 diamond" hotel, especially when the rest of the hotel decor, furniture, environment and entertainment matched with the 4 diamond level.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East Side. They are quieter. The heat is a little bit dry, so make sure you drink lots...