“Lobster Summer” 4 of 5 bubbles

Keg Steakhouse & Bar
Ranked #62 of 883 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vancouver
“Lobster Summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We haven't had lobster in years so we came here for their Lobster Summer event and the place was packed. Our server, Wayber (yes, that's how it's spelled) was excellent! He was very friendly, efficient and brought our courses out in perfect time - we didn't feel rushed at all.

We shared the Garlic Cheese Toast which runs second to the Cheese Toast at Hy's Encore downtown. The Mushrooms Neptune were more cream cheese than crab and came across too rich and creamy so we didn't finish those. My hubby had the Steak and 1/2 Lobster which both were cooked to perfection. I didn't think I could eat a whole 2 pound lobster so I asked Wayber if I could have 1/2 a lobster and he said it shouldn't be a problem although this option wasn't on the menu.

My lobster, unfortunately, was so overcooked it had the texture of wet sawdust. I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want my husband to feel bad about eating his dinner while I waited for a new one. Wayber was walking by to another table and instinctively asked how my dinner was - maybe it was the look on my face. He quickly whisked away my plate and ten minutes later I had a perfectly cooked 1/2 lobster with new rice and new vegetables. On top of that he took my meal off the bill which we felt was totally unncessary since I did get a new meal. It wasn't like I ate the original one then complained after the fact.

I would recommend coming here and hope that you get looked after by Wayber - he is awesome! Make a reservation too as it was really busy on Friday night.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank TravelBug021

Richmond, Canada
1,046 restaurant reviews
“cold as steel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

The exterior of the restaurant is quite plain with much more interesting design and layout inside. We both ordered the Keg size Prime Rib (16 oz) medium rare and advised our server Tyson that we are both particular about the doneness of the prime rib. Tyson stated that the prime rib looks good today and there was no problems in providing us with medium rare. Our prime ribs were not medium rare! One was about a medium in doneness and larger in size to the other and being medium well. Overall the meal was enjoyable, the prime rib included green beans, red peppers, choice of baked potato, twice baked baked potato or french fries. I opted for the twice baked baked potato and my other half had the french fries, both were nice. The restaurant appears to be run by 'kids' (under 25) and not the mature conduct one would expect from a Keg. Overall the service was adequate but nothing spectacular. We left a gratuity we thought was generous taking into consideration the calibre of the restaurant and service. Tyson had other thoughts. Tyson offered NO thanks at our table and when we were exiting the restaurant we walked right by him and again not a peep but a cold glare. We'll go where we are appreciated!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Renegade225
Tsawwassen, British Columbia, Canada
“BEST SERVER, WORST FOOD”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was the best waitress I have ever had a KEG STEAKHOUSE. In fact, she might be the best I have ever had. Her energy was amazing and it seemed like she was genuinely happy to be there --> she is definitely a people person! She paid careful attention to EVERY one of her customers, replacing drinks when they were getting low (but before they were empty) updating us on the status of the food (there was a large party ahead of us that slowed down the kitchen), checking in to see if we needed anything or wanted more bread (I'm sure it was just a tactic so we did not feel abandoned or forgotten, and it worked). I can't really place it exactly* but she was just absolutely wonderful and well spoken.

The right staff will make customers feel comfortable and happy to be there. There's nothing worse than having a server who has their mind elsewhere and is inwardly counting down the minutes until their shift is over because they don't like their job.

They should make Shayla the trainer or supervisor so all staff can act like she did. Even though the food wasn't great, she made up for it by creating a positive experience overall.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank RK L
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
“Good Food, Good Waiter but POOR Restaurant Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Christmas Eve 2013 - One would expect any Restaurant to be busy on Christmas Eve, you would also expect a Restaurant to get people seated as soon as possible. Not at the Keg.
On arrival, the lounge was full and SOME tables were full but the majority of the restaurant was empty and the Lobby was stuffed with people while a majority of the wait staff was standing around talking to each other. As the Keg does not take reservations the teen aged hostesses were telling people as they came in that there was a 30 to 40 minutes (it got to be an hour with in about 5 minutes) wait to get a table but "you can have a drink and an 'appy' at the bar while you wait"......? What? 1st the restaurant is 2/3 empty and 2nd the teenagers are encouraging drinks at Christmas time while the Police setting up road blocks.....very responsible!

By the time we were seated 45 minutes had passed, normally I would have left but it was Christmas Eve and there are not many choices. Our Server was very good, took the order in a professional way and was friendly (sadly he knew we were very upset). What I found interesting is he was working very hard while other waiters were taking it easy. While we sat and ate our dinner, only one other table was seated in our area, 6 other tables sat empty. I guess the restaurant wanted those waiting to get those drinks and 'appies' in the lounge. By the time we left another table was seated and the Lobby and outside the restaurant was packed with people wanting to enjoy a Christmas Eve meal. If they only knew there would have been a riot!

I have worked in Customer Service for 32 years and have never seen this kind of management of a restaurant. The customers should be sat and let know that the restaurant is very busy tonight and what to expect. Wait staff should not be hanging out at the front of the restaurant talking, laughing and flirting with the hostesses, it was so unprofessional. It would be nice to see an older person (in there 20's) working at the front door not a 16 year old who is telling people to have a drink and appetizer while they wait. The only thing that saved this experience was our waiter and the food, the rest of the experience was deplorable.

The Keg has been around for many years, I am not sure what has happened to them but I have realized that they do think that public is stupid. People go to restaurants for the food and good service. For the Keg in Richmond only the food can be counted on.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Kathryn G
Van BC
“Not like The Keg!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Came to The Keg in Richmond with a group of people to celebrate a birthday.
We were greeted and seated. Hostess was charming.Table was nice the decor was tired. Not as fresh and contemporary as other locations.
We waited and waited and waited before we were even offered drinks..... Not like The Keg!
Had to flag down another server because ours was not to be seen. Ordered drinks and appies...
He did finally return to deliver the food.
Had to ask another waiter to send him back.... He returned and asked , before anybody complained, if the calamari was too overdone.,., why did he serve it if he thought it was overdone???

He finally came back to take our dinner order, didn't offer drink refills....Not like The Keg
Food was all over done... One person had a burger the texture of a hockey puck. Rubber chicken, tough steak....he never did suggest wine or drink refills.
At this point nobody asked ... We couldn't wait to get out of there! Thank goodness the other staff were there to help refill water and clear dishes.

Then after he brought the bill he came back with a piece of their mud pie and several forks. He forgot it was a birthday.

Overall this experience was not like The Keg!
A chain that is typically consistent and reliable even if it is lacking in other areas.

• Visited July 2013