“Sample the local fish”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Steveston
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I love sashimi. And I love going to Steveston. There is a great fish market on the wharf, and when it's salmon season, a great place to find fresh whole fish. They also sell sea urchins, or uni, that can be eaten raw in sushi. I was curious, but not enough to buy the live urchins and take them home. So...

For lunch we went to Ichiro, a well established Japanese restaurant in Steveston. And they had fresh uni in many variations. There was uni sushi, a Kaisen Don, an assortment of fresh fish with uni over rice, and a roll.

It was not fancy, but good quality. The uni was sweet and fresh and a treat.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

My friend brought me to this place tonight for a casual Japanese dinner. We ordered sushi rice bowl, Prawn Tempura, Deep fried Tofu, Beans and spinach and a large Sake. I think the fish quality is average, they are good but not top class. I think there are better option in downtown area e.g. some Japanese family own sushi restaurant. But the overall service is good. We enjoyed it too.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

The food is the star of the restaurant. It's prepared very well and there are many options. I think it's the best restaurant in Steveston, and the best Japanese restaurant in Richmond or Vancouver.

As others have said, the fact that the place is packed almost all of the time and the number of Japanese customers speaks volumes.

It can be difficult to get in, so reservations are a good idea, or take-out is always an option for those of us lucky enough to live nearby.

2  Thank ThreeFromVancouver
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We went here based on TripAdvisor reviews, whilst staying in a nearby hotel. Sunday evening, wanted low fuss, casual but high quality dinner, and that's exactly what we got.

Service a little slow upon entry, the hostess was a little gruff and kept us waiting a couple of minutes, but after that it was all good.

Our server did her best to explain various menu options in halting English, and we ordered from the well presented menu (every dish had a relatively high quality photograph). There were some interesting Japanese traditional dishes to choose from, in addition to the broad range of sushi and sashimi.

Our green tea and water was topped up throughout the meal by one of the waitstaff, and our meal came beautifully presented, and it tasted as good as it looked.

We were a party of 3, and we ordered more food than we could eat, the bill was about $65 before taxes and gratuities. I would go to Ichiro again, and I would happily recommend it.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I order the seafood salad almost every time I am here. Fresh greens topped with fresh bits of sashimi and drizzled with Japanese dressing! Yum!

1  Thank yslink