“Not a good idea”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This restaurant is quantity and not quality. Deep fried almost everything, heavily breaded and low quality. Actually, they were making pork dumplings in sight, at the end of the room. Quite disgusting to see a pile of grid meet (pork) while you are eating. Grumpy servers, dirty carpets (soiled) and I did not dare to check the washroom . My husband did and he regret it. This was dinner (around 7). All night I was sick, with stomach ache (I ate only calamari and green beans) but still... Wrong, wrong choice :(

Reviewed 29 December 2012

The waitresses are very grumpy, the place is quite clean, food turn out unbelievably awful. We ordered Hot & Sour Soup, Seafood, and Beef with Gailan on Rice Noodle. My Gailan Noodle stir fried turned out extremely salty. I took only one bite, we could not eat that pile of garbage. Please stay away from this ugly, salty place where people do not know how to cook. How can they expect to grow and be successful.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

This restaurant serves low quality food. We ordered Shrimp with Cashew Nuts. Firstly the dish consists of 70% chopped onions (I challenge you to try it if you have any doubts). The Prawns came glazed outside and transparent inside (clear sign that it has not cooked properly). We know that flesh of shrimps is easily contaminated by bacteria pathogens like Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Vibrio cholera. Our guest pointed out that the Shrimp was uncooked. Oh you should have seen the anger on the face of the waitress as she barked back: "NO!!!! Cooked ...cooked! Everyone eat this way". Our guest politely said: "This is uncooked, please cook it a bit longer" as she broke one shrimp and showed the transparent color to the waitress. The Chinese Warrior Waitress kept a furious stare at our guest and pulled the dish from our table. The dish with the same shrimps and same cashews (now gone soft) came back to our table three minutes later.

The next plate: Shrimp Chow Mein was EXACTLY the same. The restaurant was busy (next to a large movie theatre). So they were not spending time cooking the food.

Consuming contaminated uncooked shrimp can cause food poisoning and permanent gastrointestinal disease and even neurological damage. The Cream of corn soup with chicken was good but the $9 bowl was small ....small. We did not eat the Shrimps and paid for it. I left zero tip.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

It looks like a "typical" Chinese restaurant. Circular tables, some extra-huge in size. Once you've enjoyed dinner there, you'll know that it's more than typical.
The staff at Golden Pearl welcome return customers warmly... and kindly make a happy fuss when they see we have brought our new grandson. The food is delicious...(try their boneless dry garlic pork!). Portions are generous. It's an excellent place for a family to get together for a meal. Economical and delicious! (The best kept secret.... A free birthday cake for a group of 10 people or more who reserve in advance!)

Reviewed 22 May 2012

The food was average. Was disappointed with their Chow Mein. In Ontario Chow Mein does not have pasta noodles in it where in Vancouver it does (I have a gluten sensitivity) it reduced my options as we had purchased the dinner for three so that I would be able so I thought enjoy the Chow Mein. We ended up going next door after dinner and ordering a smoothie at Booster Juice. Excellent choice.