“Yummy food, but didn't feel like Malaysia”

Tamarind Hill Malaysian Cuisine
Ranked #60 of 401 Restaurants in North Vancouver
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Pinancle of Malaysian cuisine served by friendly staff. It's a great place to bring your date. For evenings, we offer dimmed lighting with lit candles.
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We went there twice with family and friends. Having been to Malaysia before and trying this restaurant, the meals very delicious but not quite there. The Mee Georeng was good, and Laska soup was tasty, but didn't have enough noodles with the amount of soup. The service was friendly enough, but didn't sell me completely.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I am visiting North Vancouver for the month of April and staying three blocks away from Tamarind Hill on Lonsdale in North Vancouver, so I asked my hostess if it was any good. She said she didn't know, but would rely on the opinion of her friends. Today, I asked my co-workers if they had been to Tamarind Hill and all but one said "No". The one - said she'd been to the restaurant in New Westminster and it was delicious. So I checked out the on-line menu (looks good) and hopped off the North Van bus, Gus. Went into the restaurant, was seated, and given a menu. Looked at the menu and noticed that the 3 items I had chosen as "possible" were available only at their New Westminster location (as were many of their other menu items). I commented to the server that I was finding it a bit difficult to decide, due to the "available only at the New Westminster location" when she told me that many of those items WERE indeed available at the North Van location. So I asked for my first choice - spicy pork chops. NOPE. They could NOT do that. So I said "Please give me a few minutes, but in the meantime, I'd like a 9 oz glass of the Scrubby Rise". She told me that they didn't sell it that way. I said "Your menu says you do" and showed her where it was written. Apparently the owner "copied" the New West menu and it really wasn't available in North Van. Sorry. Zero points for this restaurant. No like, dislike, overwhelming desire to return. Not going there again until they fix their "bait and switch" menu. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT.

1  Thank Mrsdkba
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Headed here for a lunch with old co workers/friends. We ordered the papaya mango salad, the chicken satay with gado gado and the sambal tiger prawns. The meal was fresh and delicious, and the prices very reasonable. A great little place for some pretty authentic tasting malaysian eats. The dining room was nothing to write home about, but it was clean and unassuming. I'm sure we will be back.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We ordered the Malaysian curry. The curry sauce was pretty good but the vegetables were just soooo overlooked and mushy.

We also ordered the beef noodles (i forget the title of the menu item). we had to send it back (eek!) because it was just so overlooked and the noodles became mushy.

They did not mess up the fried rice. But who can?

It was disappointing to see a young caucasian kid cooking the food. This is clearly not an authentic Malaysian restaurant.

I'm very surprised by the good reviews...because this place just doesn't have good food.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We happened to be on Lonsdale for dinner and dropped in on Tamarind Hill for the first time. Service was prompt and friendly, prices reasonable. The food was very good - great flavours, nice level of spice, well executed. Overall a great experience and an unexpected surprise for us. We ate the Malaysian calamari, kari lamb, and a flat noodle dish (with seafood) the name of which I can't remember (but it was very good). All of it was excellent. Lots of vegetarian options on the menu. We'll be back.

1  Thank pk_yvr