“A Pleasant Stay with a Great View”

Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
Reviewed 15 November 2010

When I arrived at the hotel with my companion, we were rather confused as to how to drive up. We ended up driving around the hotel into the back side where my companion stopped to walk in to ask what to do next. They told us to drive into the underground parking garage where we chose to self park, and then to take the elevator up. The hotel building itself really stands out from the rest of the scenery with its predominant glass structure and modern design. The main road seemed to be in slight disrepair (or perhaps just currently under repair) and the businesses en route here had me curious as to what sort of hotel awaited us. Not to say N Vancouver is shoddy, but it didn't give me the impression that anything great would appear. I was pleasantly surprised. The design of the building has very clean lines and the glass gives you an airy, open feel perfect for taking in the sights of the water and the city beyond. The downside to the modern decor for me was that it felt cold and sparse, not warm and welcoming. It didn't help that the hotel felt rather empty of people adding to the cold, sparse impression. I'm a bit torn on this since cluttering the space with decor would probably clash with the modern design and/or take away from the airy feel of the glass and minimalist style decor.

The room was comfortable and clean, and the bathroom window was a curious surprise for us. Friends tell me that there is a Japanese-owned hotel in Indonesia also with similar bathrooms with "a view" and where the curtain control is on the outside, not the inside. I don't quite understand this, but if I had been traveling with a spouse/partner, I suppose it would have been very nice to have the view of the outside while relaxing in the bath. But again, why is the curtain on the outside? If anything, have it between two plates of glass while the controls are on the inside. The toiletries were pleasant, and I was glad the scent was not overpowering or offensive. I did feel that there was a lack of counter space, or shelves or hooks or something for me to place towels, personal items, etc... I was at a loss as to what to do with it all.

I really enjoyed the view as well as the balcony. There was even a little "nook" by the full length windows where I just deposited myself for the views. Though the Quay was so close, we didn't have the chance to explore it . We did get to enjoy some activities on the mountain which were a very short car trip away.

I was unimpressed with the selection of tea, but no matter as the coffee maker boiled up hot water laced with coffee. There was no separate hot water kettle which was unfortunate especially since not only did the coffee maker leave coffee flavor behind in the water, the water was actually a shade of brown. Clearly, it was never cleaned, though I did not see any residue (however, it is a black machine).

We only stayed one day/night, but it was pleasant. The location was perfect as a jumping off point for places farther north while still close to downtown Vancouver. It was a nice change of pace and view from downtown.

For the money, I think the Pinnacle is a great value. It's clean and comfortable with outstanding views in a prime location for transport, sights and food. I would stay here again if I return to this area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
TimMorrison, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Dear Guest, thank you very much for providing us with your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the Hotel and the stunning view of the city and harbour from your room balcony.

Your feedback has been very valuable for us to ensure we continue to deliver on the service and experience desired by our Guests. From your comments it is evident we need to review the in room tea service to ensure we are offering a variety of tea and to better communicate that tea kettles are available if required.

I must apologize for any inconvenience the road work on the Hotel access road would have caused you. As we are in a very new area, their was some deficiency work being conducted on the brick road pavers but this work has now been completed and all the access roads are fully open with no future impediments expected.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 November 2010

My husband and I live in Kelowna and frequently stay in Vancouver. I grew up there and have lots of friends there. We have stayed in our fair share of hotels over the years-including Hotel Vancouver (where Valet smashed up my brand new truck and did not compensate me at all!), the Four Seasons (lovely but pricey) and numerous others. When I write this review, I can say without hesitation, this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at and an amazing value!!! In fact, half the price of any other favorite!!!
LOCATION: The hotel is located in Lonsdale Quay, a 2 minute walk away from the seabus. The seabus gets you downtown in ten minutes. Initially, I thought this would be a hassle but, it was very pleasant. I would even go as far to say that I enjoyed it. How totally fantastic it was to be so close to downtown and yet not having to pay the downtown hotel prices!! Although we did not have time to enjoy the Quay, we will next time for sure and certainly enjoy all it has to offer.

HOTEL ROOM: Absolutely lovely!! The bed is big, cozy, fluffy pillows and clean!! Everything is super clean!!! The bathroom was lovely, including lovely toiletries from Aveda. The room came equipped with a microwave, fridge and coffee maker. It was great!

We had appies and drinks in the lounge. The drinks were perfect, the appies were delicious and the service was totally amazing. Everyone was very friendly.
The next day, we went to the pool area for a hot tub. I am not going to lie, the hot tub was a little cold BUT, the pool was lovely, as was the steam room and sauna. The workout room was the most beautiful I have ever seen!! The equipment is state of the art, the room is clean, classy and just when it couldn't get any better, they offer spin classes, yoga classes, and zumba classes. In the summer, they offer the spin classes on the patio, overlooking the harbour. The view is stunning!!!

If you are looking for negatives from this review, you aren't going to get any!!! lol. Okay, I do have one! They don't have any vending machines therefore I could not get myself a bottle of water before bed - unless I purchased the $6 bottle, included in the room. They did say they were working on rectifying this situation so, I am not using this as a point against them. The rest was fabulous!! I will never stay anywhere else ever again!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank missday76
TimMorrison, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2010

Thank you very much for your comments from our Guest from my home town of Kelowna. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback on the hotel, location and amenities. As our Guest your comments only help us to get better and as noted from your feedback we will be installing a vending machine to improve the convenience for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

General Manager and former Kelowna resident

Reviewed 8 November 2010

We were going to visit a son in North Vancouver so we wanted a hotel for the night. The price was excellent because it was a special and it was off season. This hotel is a beautiful new hotel with modern decor. The room is a decent size and has a wonderful bathroom.

You are right on the waterfront and there are shops and restaurants all around. It is right by the sea bus to downtown Vancouver. I would consider staying here and using the sea bus rather than staying in more expensive downtown Vancouver hotels.

We did have one large problem. The fire alarms went off in the building and the fire sirens could be heard. (Apparently there was an electrical problem and it was not a fire but we did not know this at the time.) Ourselves, along with other guests, went down the emergency stairs to the outside. For ourselves it meant eight flights of stairs. Once you were down there you couldn't get back in and they did not send anyone to let us in or check on us. Finally some caterers came to set up a room and let us in. They had no idea whether people had left their rooms and where they were. We mentioned our concerns the next morning on check out and they noted it and let us hope it will be addressed because it was just not good enough.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roberta6568

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at our Hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us apart from the fire alarm. I apologize for the inconvenience the fire alarm caused you and disappointed to hear that we had no one available to assist you with getting back into the hotel once you had exited the stairwell. Please be assured that In future during fire alarms we will have a member of our team positioned at the stairwell exits to better assist you, "our Guest".

Thank you again for your comments as your feedback only helps us to improve our services.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 October 2010

Great to stay so near to downtown (12 minutes by Sea Bus) but have fresh harbour breezes and unhurried pace of Lonsdale Quay. Lovely room, very comfortable king bed and many extra details that made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann15_10
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding night. We wanted to stay close to our home on the North Shore, and this hotel provided some of the elegant standards we might find in a upscale downtown hotel. Very classy furnishings, nice bathroom, very cozy and comfortable bed!

Positives: great location in lower Lonsdale, comfortable room, soaker tub and large shower head (rain style), Aveda toiletries, in-room robes, coffee maker and mini-fridge, and quick breakfast room service (although could have used less vinegar to cook our eggs benedicts)

Negatives: found a hair in the bathtub (gross), not enough hooks to hang towels (no hand towel hook near sink), no late night room service, no table in room (just a desk), and ice machines are not on every floor

Note that there was a window separating the shower from the bedroom with blinds to close from the bedroom for privacy. I liked the extra light, but might be awkward if sharing room with others who may be tempted to "peek".

1  Thank iloveclubmed
CMcJannet, Director of Sales at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2010

Thank you for you feedback, we value all comments by our Guests and work hard to provide a wonderful experience to those who choose to stay with us. Regarding a few of your comments, our rooms are prepared with very stringent cleaning cleaning standards. Once cleaned, before rooms can be occupies, the room goes through a full inspection by one of our Supervisors. It is though apparent from your comment that our cleaning process missed something which is very disappointing. Our standard is to ensure we are providing a room that is in immaculate condition for our guests and this did not happen. Please be assured we will be reviewing this incident with our team to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for your comment regarding shower hooks. We had received previous Guest comments regarding the same and have recently been installing double towel hooks and racks in every guest room. Please be assured if this continues to be an issue, we will make further adjustments to ensure our Guests convenience and comfort is maximized.
We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 28 September 2010

I've traveled all over the world and this was by far my favorite, most clean and comfortable hotel. The Pinnacle is new, which helps, but the bathrooms were so spotless I couldn't find even a spec of dust anywhere. The beds are plush and make for an amazing night of sleep. The entire hotel design and room layout is spacious, well designed and trendy. I loved everything about our stay and even appreciated the hotel checking us in and out in less than 30 seconds each time. My boyfriend and I arrived late at night from Seattle and the hotel already had our confirmation email printed and waiting at the desk for when we arrived. A great stay and I would definitely go back and recommend to friends.

1  Thank ldaniels
Reviewed 27 September 2010

How can you have a view of downtown Vancouver if you are staying in downtown Vancouver. Let me recommend the Pinnacle Hotel at the Pier. It is located at the foot of Lonsdale on the North Shore and I hope you request a city view because it's great. You are a 2 minute walk to the Sea Bus ($2.50 per person one way) that takes you on a scenic trip across the harbor into the heart of downtown Vancouver. From there you can catch a bus or a cab to any of the destinations you have picked. My hubby did the extended Sea Plane trip which gives you a great way to see everything. This location also puts you close to the other great attractions that are located on the North Shore. Grouse Mountain, Capalino suspention bridge, Lynn Canyon and many more. The room we stayed in was great and the food in restaurant at the hotel was more than the usual fair (The Lobby). There are also other choices close by, that are in walking distance. I was born on North Vancouver but haven't lived there for over 28 years and have lots of family there, but it was a nice break for my hubby and I to get some alone time in and for us both to do the tourist thing for a change. Hope you have a chance to stay at this hotel and enjoy all that Vancouver has to offer.

1  Thank AnotherCanadian47
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Vancouver
Lonsdale Quay Hotel
#4 of 10 in North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
North Vancouver Hotel
#5 of 10 in North Vancouver
Downtown
The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront
Best Western Capilano Inn & Suit...
#3 of 10 in North Vancouver
Downtown
Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA

Been to Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier? Share your experiences!