“Poor Overall Experience”
Review of Grouse Inn

Grouse Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I was originally booked to stay for5 nights; after stepping into the room I walked right back to the reception and changed my stay to 2 nights. When booking the motel I wasn't expecting amenities featured in a Marriott type hotel however I can't get over the dirty carpets and foul smell. Also, the free breakfast was probably the worst breakfast I've ever had. Again, I'm not expecting a five star dining experience but the bread was stale, yoghurt was warm; the only acceptable item was the coffee. I would only recommend this place if someone needs a quick nights sleep otherwise I would stay somewhere else. In my view an inexpensive motel shouldn't equate to poor cleanliness!

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We picked this hotel because of the location. As traffic in Vancouver is horrible and I would not recommend anyone to drive the car there, you'll have to rely on public transportation. The bus stop is just around the corner, and you'll make it to downtown in 10-15 min. The hotel is in North Vancouver, just across the bridge. The bus uses a dedicated line and moves much faster than the cars. The hotel itself is average. The rooms are OK and they try to keep those clean. Continental breakfast was a nice feature, but soon we realized that it's not eatable. Selection is poor and it simply doesn't taste good.Overall, would recommend this hotel as it is moderately priced and well located. Just don't rely on breakfast there.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

The grouse inn represents a very good value in Vancouver; a city where you generally have to choose between spending $200+ a night, or spending the evening watching prostitutes and homeless wander around outside your window.

The room we stayed in was the honeymoon suite, as we booked late and the less expensive rooms were taken. Still, we only paid $180 which is pretty good for a room with a jet tub in a good neighborhood.

Our room was very clean, the only complaint we had is that even though the room is now non-smoking, you can tell as soon as you walk in that it's seen many cigarettes in its past. The hotel has done as good a job as anyone can though, trying to eliminate the odor. Apart from that the bed was a bit on the hard side, but that's not unreasonable given the price point of this hotel.

We also appreciated that there was an included continental breakfast, though it was quite starch-heavy and could use more protein options.

All in all a good experience, we would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

old TV's from 1960's where's the HDtv's I am paying 300 a night beds smell couches have stains on them and I had some kind of rash in the morning I kid you not this is the most worst inn I have ever stayed in your better if at Hampton for 150 instead of this place sure its got all the close ho clubs and slutz for cheap I just feel dirty. strongly Avoid this place for families please stay away if you have kids. Not a place for a family man to stay the night with kids. A perfect place for truckers who want lot lizard's.

Strongly Avoid
Not worth more then 50 a night

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Booked this hotel through Hotwire (who I will never book with again) and got stuck here for three nights.

I had called and asked for a king bed room, since Hotwire gave us two double beds. The woman told me she'd try to assist me, but when I got there, they said there was nothing they could do.

The room was dirty. There was dust everywhere and I found hair that wasn't mine in the bed and in the bathroom. Not just on the bathroom floor but in the towels. Gross.

The free breakfast in the morning was a joke. We ended up eating elsewhere since even their bread and milk tasted funny.

On our last morning, the power was out. This was the second time during our stay that the power had gone out. We had to call the front desk FOUR times until anyone came to check it out. One person told us the whole floor was out of power, while someone else said it was just our room and the room next door.

They didn't help us out in any way and we had to pack and shower in the dark. An hour after we had complained (with still no power) we were offered a new room to shower in and/or candles. Really? An hour later?

When we went to check out, there was no apology, no "thanks for staying" and no sort of compensation.

Although the area was great, I would never, ever stay here again. Spend the extra money and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandra S
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked this Inn for 3 nights, picked the location to be just slightly out of the busy downtown core. Was a close drive to Stanley Park(Aquarium). The continental breakfast was NOT good(we ate at the Denny's next door for the other 2 mornings), Pastries were stale, fruit was not fresh, hard boiled eggs were very overcooked ect....., the price was right $98 a night for location, free Wi-Fi, breakfast, free parking and pool. We booked a 2 bed Queen room with a fridge we received a king bed room with no fridge:( Staff was friendly, The room its self was disappointing. It smelled musty, damp and stale. We opened all the windows to let in fresh air but there was NO screens on the windows so all the bugs came in, we had to just put the A/C on at all times to have some air circulating in the room. The bathroom towels were very hard and scratchy. The carpets were torn and dirty in the room. We had such a busy itinerary that we were really only in the room to sleep so to us it was OK however I would never stay here again.

1  Thank manders91
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Our room was ground level, away from the road so quiet. It had the biggest bed I have ever slept in. There was a smell as we entered, unidentified but we used incence to freshen the room.

Staff were a little aloof, and I can only assume that they were dealing with a lot of complaints and so were on the defence. They all sounded foreign to me so communication was sometimes difficult.

The breakfast was awful. There was nothing appetising. I would rather pay less than be offered cold boiled eggs. This was my first trip to North America, so I have no experience of what is normal on the American side. The pasties were dreadful, the yogurt was dispensed from a 20 litre bucket. The color was most unnatural.
The pool was great, I loved that it was placed in the centre of the car park, this appealed to my sense of humour.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple