“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #18 of 390 Restaurants in North Vancouver
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Make your reservation with Vaades.We've got your Indian cravings covered.Choose from exotic appies, mouth-watering mains and delightful desserts.
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I dined at Vaades recently after purchasing a Groupon. We were both pleasantly surprised at how good the service and the good are. The location, as others have indicated, is not great being in an unattractive strip mall. Based on that, we were pleasantly surprised to find the tables set nicely, which included linen napkins. We were served water as soon as we sat down and perused the menu. So many dishes looked wonderful, making it difficult to decide on what to order. In the end we decided to order several dishes and share them. The flavourings were all unique to each dish, something that doesn't happen in some other Indian restaurants where many of the dishes seem to closely resemble one another. The tandoori chicken was the best I have had, and we were very pleased with the other dishes that we ordered. Also, the pace of service was very good, neither too slow nor too fast. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Don't be put off by the strip-mall location, because Vaade's is something special. This simple Indian restaurant is always full, even on weeknights, because the food is top-notch. The menu is extensive, and features choices like Dahi Wada, a new-to-me appetizer of lentil dumplings in a chilled yoghurt laced with mint. We also enjoyed the Lamb Do Pyaza done with onions and lime. Prices are moderate, and they're open til midnight on the weekend. But it's good any night!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

The Indian food served here is a cut about most of the Indian restaurants. Most Indian food served in the west (unless it is south Indian) is Punjabi and tends to be generic from one restaurant to another. The food here is not heavy and oily like many Indian restaurants. All the dishes do not look the same nor do they taste the same. They have original dishes here that I have not seen at other Indian restaurants, but the taste is Indian. The food is nicely spiced without being hot. If you like really spicy food ask for it hot. We asked for medium and could have had it hotter, but we have spent years in India. Nevertheless we really enjoyed it and would go again. Good tasty food and good friendly service. I think it is one of the better ones I have been to in Vancouver. It is a bit small, so probably better to make reservations on weekends.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Took the family out for a day in North Vancouver (Cates Park, Lynn Valley then supper at Vaades) and what a tasty way to end a great family day. My wife is only so-so with East Indian cuisine but absolutely loved the food we ordered. Had the Prawn Masala, Tandoori Chicken, Lamb Vindaloo, Naan and Basmati rice. With a Groupon voucher ($30 for $15), total bill came out to $41 + tax + tip. Loved the Lamb curry with naan and with the rice. The Prawn Masala and Tandoori were also delicious. Service was very good, prompt and polite. The place was almost full, with several takeout orders and for a Tuesday night, that is very respectable. Not a huge restaurant but nice ambiance so good for a family or a date. Would recommend for sure.

Prices were:

Tandoori Chicken - $12
Prawn Masala - $14
Lamb Vindaloo - $12
Naan - $2
Basmati Rice - $3

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our first meal at Vaades. Everything tasted fresh and well prepared.

He went with the signature lamb lunch special...it came in a hearty tasting stew like sauce with a side of rice, naan bread, salad and dahl.

I enjoyed the Paneer Mahkni (creamy tomato butter sauce). Since I ordered a la carte, I added a side of rice, naan bread, salad and daily veggie for an additional $5. I finished my meal with a mango lassi with a hint of cardamon.

All in all it was a tasty meal with great value. I recommend it to anyone looking for an excellent Indian meal.