“Castaway in North Van”
Review of Raglan's Bistro

Raglan's Bistro
Ranked #46 of 371 Restaurants in North Vancouver
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Vancouver, Canada
“Castaway in North Van”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Has a funky beach shack atmosphere and music is unobtrusive: 9/10
Staff were attentive and conversational. 9/10
Food was good 8/10 and the beer was okay 6/10: a few bottles of craft beer would help.

North Vancouver, Canada
“Tasty bulk eats for the young at heart!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is a fun, surf themed dive bar type casual restaurant. The portions are very large. I really enjoyed my burger - I am guessing it was fresh and not a hockey puck frozen patty. My only complaint - my Guiness was too cold - the head was full of ice crystals like a slushy (it was during our February cold snap - even beer fridges were freezing). The friendly waitress took it back with apologies and I traded it for a generously sized glass of red wine.
This would be a great place for twentysomethings to meet their friends for cocktails and pub food.

• Visited February 2014
North Vancouver, Canada
“Didn't stay”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Went here because I'd heard good things about the food. I get that it's a surf-dude-themed restaurant (not sure what that has to do with North Van though) but still overall atmosphere was just a little too casual for me. I got put off by the untrained staff: server (super friendly and upbeat), as she spoke, leaning front upper thighs directly on my high table, a bit too close to my face. Also, first time ever seeing a cook sporting a large, wild beard.

Seating is odd and tight in a shack-styled room, dominated by on-screen waves. Menu choices are heavy on the wheat -- in a time when most restaurants are over that -- with no substitutions. Looks like a "chill place to kick back" but I couldn't get comfortable nor find anything I could have on the menu.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank shnti
Austin, Texas
“Good local fare without lines of tourists”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We came here for dinner at the recommendation of a local at Grouse Mountain. The restaurant is very tiny (I am thinking there are no ADA laws in Canada. No wheelchair would fit inside the restaurant. We barely got a baby stroller inside!) and made to resemble a 60's California surfer bar. Beatles music (Helter Skelter album) played the entire time. Service was quick and good. We ordered bacon cheddar perogies for an appetizer, and we each got a different type of poutine ( a local fare of fries, different meat toppings, cheeese, and gravy to cover the entire mass) as an entree. The serving size is large, and 3 of the 4 of us left with a "to go" box. Unless you are starving, one order of poutine could easily satisfy two people.

The tab for 4 of us for the above mentioned food and 3 soft drinks plus an on-tap beer (in a huge glass!) was $78 bucks plus tip. Not cheap and not overly expensive either. Casual dining at its best.

The restaurant is located in North Vancouver in the city by the waterfront. We were there just as the sun was setting, and the view over the harbor is simply gorgeous.

Not easy to park on the street close to the restaurant, but there is a big parking lot at the end of the street with just a short walk to the restaurant. Be prepared to pay to park. Everywhere we went had this feature: no free parking.

Try Raglan's, and get the poutine. You won't be sorry!

• Visited November 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“what happened to this place?”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We used to come here quite often, but this Saturday was completely screwed. It was not busy at all - both tables outside were waiting, and only two (including us) waiting inside. Two others were finishing and left shortly. 14 minutes after our order was placed we were quoted another 10 minutes waiting time. We came at 3pm and left hungry and frustrated at 3:25pm having paid $15 for 4 juices. Truly, they were less than 30% full and we did expect to have a quicker service.
Did they forget that "Bistro" is sort of "Fast"? Fries, burgers, poutine, quesadilla - was our order. Nor even started when we left. So disappointing!

• Visited September 2013