“Saw the Trip Advisor logo in the window.”
Review of The Portly Chef

The Portly Chef
Ranked #13 of 400 Restaurants in North Vancouver
Price range: US$16 - US$33
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located on Lonsdale Avenue, in North Vancouver, The Portly Chef is serving up some of the best culinary fare on the North Shore. Led by Executive Chef Jeffrey Batt and his fiance, Emily Caulfield, this family run Bistro promises a relaxed atmosphere, attentive front of house service and mouth-watering consistency on every plate.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I were exploring North Vancouver when we saw the Trip Advisor logo in the window and decided to give it a try. I can recommend the kale, spinach and shrimp salad. The greens were wonderful and the shrimp were cooked to perfection. Good service at a fair price.

1  Thank Mercedes46

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had a wonderful dinner here. Started with the kale, spinach, shrimp salad which was crazy good and the beet salad also very good. Our main courses were the cannelloni and the mussels, again both very good. The proportions were generous. We stopped to take a rest from the horrible traffic and was definitely very pleased with our meal!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I had contacted The Portly Chef in advance as I had heard that they were willing to prepare a vegan dish for those diners who requested it. No problem!

I am vegan, my husband is not, so it was nice to know that BOTH of us could look forward to a meal we could enjoy.

The room is the perfect size for this style of restaurant. A little elevated above a French bistro (Les Faux Bourgeoisie comes to mind, for those looking for a comparison), with bar seating that I'm assuming is left for those without reservations.

The place was still packed when we left at about 9PM, which for the North Shore, says something for a restaurant.

Our server was gracious and welcomed any questions about the menu. Just the right amount of checking on us and leaving us alone. It can be a fine line to tread.

I had a tomato salad (hold the bocconcini) to start and it was excellent. I am not a huge tomato fan but the heirloom varieties were so much better than your average tomato and the dressing was wonderful. My husband had the sauteed mushrooms with chevre and cleaned his plate.

My vegan entree was excellent as well. There must have been 8 different elements in there, along with amazing sauce that I still can't put my finger on. You can tell that they really tried to make my plate interesting and tasty, instead of an inconvenience. My husband had the sablefish and I could tell right from the first bite that he was in love with it.

I would highy recommend The Portly Chef and will definitely be going back.

1  Thank truenic
Reviewed 31 August 2013

It has been a while since we wrote our last review and this is the only instance where we felt compelled to chime in again. Since our first go around, the restaurant has only gotten better. The pricing is right, and the serving sizes cannot be beat. The staff knows what they are doing at the Portly Chef. The skinny chef is not quite what he used to be but he can still be trusted to put on an awesome food show. The meal this evening was everything we had hoped for and more. The menu has new items. How often can everything brought to the table be so perfectly presented and sumptuous? So perfect in every way. What I can’t believe is that the City of North Vancouver is screwing them around over an outdoor patio? The North Shore has been starving for a good restaurant and Portly Chef has filled that hunger. Bravo!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Unexpectedly got appetizers- excellent presentation and of course, delicious!

Second time here and the food was great. Good portions for the price and very pleasant staff.

Already recommending to friends and family.