“Birthday celebration with friends”
Review of The Portly Chef

The Portly Chef
Price range: US$15 - US$32
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located on Lonsdale Avenue, in North Vancouver, The Portly Chef is serving up some of the best culinary fare on the North Shore. Led by Executive Chef Jeffrey Batt and his fiance, Emily Caulfield, this family run Bistro promises a relaxed atmosphere, attentive front of house service and mouth-watering consistency on every plate.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was treated to dinner at the Portly Chef for my birthday and was amazed at the service. The food was amazing, very tasty and well presented. The portions were worth the price-no one leaves hungry. The cocktails were delicious as was the dessert.
Staff were very friendly.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had dinner at Portly Chef on Father’s Day. We wanted a table on their outdoor patio but they were all reserved. The service from our waiter Brad was very good. We asked one of the wait staff to explain the preparation of the calamari and he was very good explaining how it was prepared. We shared the calamari as an appetizer and it was amazing. It is a very hot and spicy dish with lemongrass, chili and jalapeno. For entrees my husband had the miso sablefish and he was in heaven. The fish was perfectly cooked and so moist and flavorful. I had the Tomahawk pork loin with goat cheese and apple cinnamon compote. The entrees came with a nice selection of vegetables, asparagus, green beans, cauliflower and carrot. All the vegetables were also very well cooked. My entrée also came with a lovely arugula salad that had a nice vinaigrette and fresh blueberries They only have torn bread available that is a specialty of the house. It is $10.00 and it looked very good but I would like to be able to just get a basket of nice bread. We finished off the dinner with cheesecake. The whole meal was lovely and we would likely return. My husband said it could become one of his favorite restaurants.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Got in here on Friday evening. This place keeps upping its game. We wrote a review when it first opened several years ago and have dined here many times since. It was always good but tonight by far, was our best experience. Every thing was so superb. Surely some credit has to go to their new sous chef, Mandy. We had Mandy's meat balls and they were delish. The wedge salad was a good size and also delish. Squid was delish. The mains were beef stroganoff. My wife commented that it was the best stroganoff she has ever had, and I have to agree. My fish dish (tuna and some other water thing) was just amazing. Staff tending the tables were friendly and fun. Far better than noisy crowded sports bar type restaurants on Lonsdale, and a nice break from sushi and Chinese food on Lonsdale. Hats off to Jeff, Emily and the rest of the crew. Will continue to patronize this locally owned restaurant.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

We got there because my friends gave me a gift certificate because of my birthday.

The food was excellent, the portions more than adequate and the presentation was very nice as well. We dined outside because the evening was very nice too.

Special points here for Gavin's service and attitude. He was really nice to talk to and had a very cool sense of humor.

Definitively, an experience to repeat!

Reviewed 13 May 2018

Ok, this is a go to place for me. I live in North Vancouver and this place is definitely at the top of my favorite restaurants in the local area. However, I feel I need to mention the brunch. I know that he chef has a way with crab having fallen in love with his crab pakoras when they were on the menu (would definitely be on my request for a last dinner) so today when we went for brunch and I saw crab benny I didn't hesitate. My family is also addicted to the brussel sprout hash. I suspect everything is amazing but if crab is on the menu - go for it!

This place is definitely worth a visit - excellent food, great staff, and super lovely people who own the place (and apparently live there). Go, try it , you won't be disappointed!