“Good Variety Subs”

Cuisines: American
North Vancouver, Canada
“Good Variety Subs”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

You have different selection to choose from and the combination makes the sub tasty. It is alittle more pricey than Subway but still very good.

Visited November 2012

North Vancouver, Canada
“Awful Experience”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I had two Steal the Deal coupons for catering for 10 with sandwiches and salad or soup. I really wish I hadn't bought them.

I called Basil's Subs over a month in advance to arrange pickup. The restaurant itself would not take my information and told me to call the owner, Sunny (sp?). I called the owner, but the voicemail on his phone was full. I called the restaurant back and left a message. He never called me. A week later I called the restaurant again. They told me I had to call back the next day to speak with the new manager who was alternating between the two locations Sunny owns. Fine. I called back the next day, but the manager I spoke to was very difficult to understand, and she did not seem to understand me. I was never offered the soup option, and was told that if I wanted 20 side salads I had to bring in my own bowl in advance. (Seriously??!!) I declined to do so.

I didn't hear from Basil's Subs again until the day before pickup, when I was contacted by a different person who could not understand me at all - who seemed rather confused when I asked "what else is on the sandwiches besides meat?" (It took quite a bit of re-wording to get my question understood.) At this point, I was really sceptical.

When I showed up to pick up the sandwiches, the salad had been put in a giant plastic lid, and there were only 4 tiny containers of salad dressing for 20 people. More appallingly, I was charged $35.76 in tax, which they were charging on the full value of the coupons, not the promotional value I'd actually paid for the coupons. This is completely in contravention of Canada Revenue GST/HST Policy No. P-202 - example 7, which specifically shows that restaurants should only be collecting tax on promotional value paid. So I protested the charge, and asked to speak to the owner, Sunny. Sunny told me VERY RUDELY via telephone, that if I had a problem I had to leave the sandwiches and take it up with Steal the Deal (who I have just now found out are no longer in business). He obviously did not care who I was or what I had to say. I had no choice but to pay the overcharge of tax because I had guests arriving in half an hour. I did it under extreme protest and advised Sunny that I would be reporting Basil's Subs. He told me to go right ahead and pretty much hung up on me.

To add insult to injury, the sandwich I ate had a giant heel of tomato and a tough end of beef, which I had to wrestle with to eat.

Overall, I would not recommend this restaurant at all - either the location at 125 West 3rd Street, or the location at 296 Pemberton Avenue. They are both owned by the same man. As an operation, it is exceedingly unprofessional. The sandwiches are okay, but so are Bread Garden's - and they are MUCH BETTER at catering. I won't be going back to Basil's Subs ever again.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Dina H
Orange County, CA
“yummmmm”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

we had the mediteranean chicken sandwich and it was delicious! If you are staying in North Van, you should definitely try it!

Visited October 2012
NORTH VANCOUVER
“Beats Subway.”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Just found this gem through Groupon. So well worth it when they have a buy one get one free.
They were even selling 1 for 1 at the restaurant.
My kids had the BBQ beef and loved it.
I had the same but with some lovely coleslaw and other toppings.
Well worth the visit but not just because of the Groupon, it would be appreciated even at the regular price.

Visited July 2012
Aurora, Illinois
“Absolutely delicious!!!”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We were visiting Vancouver on vacation and had a Groupon for Basil's Subs. Weren't sure what to expect when we arrived, but WOW were the sandwiches awesome!! We had pulled pork sandwiches and teriyaki beef sandwiches and they were so amazing! Fresh, delicious and more than enough food for the price. The bread was awesome, the sauces delectable, the cole-slaw nice and crunchy and the meat was cooked to absolute perfection.

Sandwiches are served on a wooden plank, and we also bought bagged chips and cans of soda. Just remembering it makes me wish they had a location here at home, too!

As previous reviewer stated, there's not much in the way of places to sit, but we did eat in anyway, sitting at 2 different 2-person tables. Ambiance is a bit dark, but we didn't mind that at all. It was actually pretty cool! If we had stayed more days in North Vancouver, we definitely would have gone back to try out their other offerings. We saw other customers come and go and all of them had nothing but great things to say about the food.

• Visited June 2012