“Good experience”

Ranked #15 of 20 North Vancouver B&B and Inns
Shanghai, China
“Good experience”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The location is close to bay. We like the interior decoration very well, the owner Margaret has many interesting items from all around the world. Margaret is very warm and nice, she can give many recommendation on the trip planning. It's good experience to stay here.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor room can have a great view to bay and downtown area
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have mixed opinions about this place. To get things started, we booked online through booking.com and it didn't have a stated check in time but usually it's after 4:00 pm. So we drove from Banff to Vancouver (a 9 hr drive) then arrived at around 5:45 pm. I walk up to the door to see a note that check in is by appt only and there's a phone to call. I call her and she tells me I just missed her by 5 minutes and she was out to dinner. She tells me on the phone I should have called during the day to let her know I was coming. I explained that nothing was mentioned via email from Booking.com or her. She told me she was eating and would try to get back in half an hour. We had dinner reservations in downtown at 6:45 so we were pushing it. On a friday night, I didn't want to test traffic that much. We took the dog for a walk until she returned. When she did, she lectured me again on not calling and "everyone knows you have to call because we have lives too and we can't wait around all day". I'm sorry but first off in hospitality you should say "I'm sorry for having you wait, I should have reached out to you to schedule a time" or something similar. Remember, the customer is always right even when they're not. This was my first B&B experience so I had no idea I had to call to inform her. This was a failure on her part and Booking.com's. While checking us in, she was talking about how long she has done this and she's saying hello to our dog. She already knew at this point we were rushed for time and I was trying to hurry her up. While checking me in she stated that it was "unwise" to go through booking.com because she could have gotten me the best price and "you should always go through the vendor directly but you messed up". Another rude comment. Over email I did contact her but she took several days to get back to me and other accommodations in our other cities were booking so I went with online booking. When she did get back to me she said If I wanted a certain room it would be more. And now in person she's telling me she could have saved me money. Sounds to me she was bitter I went with a middle man. Then she asked where we were going to dinner. I told her the Blue Water Cafe, a highly rated, well known seafood restaurant. She said "I've never heard of it" and " I know all the best places trust me". I told her that we were going to go there because we researched it and we already committed to it and she said "Ok whatever". Maybe she was trying to prevent us from being late or maybe she truly had a recommendation for us on the north side, but that was such a rude response to give me. Being a guy, I don't really care about attitude people give me; I just brush it off, but I was in shock. It could be coming off as rude as I'm told some Europeans just speak that way, but if you're in the hospitality business for "24 years" that is unacceptable.
So that put me in a bad mood for dinner which we were 30 minutes late for, which then made us too late to see the night market on the shipyards (which is close to the B&B hence why we chose her house). Unfortunately the vendors we wanted were only there Friday night so we missed that item on our trip entirely.
The next morning we headed out for a hike and returned to shower then take off again for brunch. She gave us a map (ironically the one we were going to get from Tourism Vancouver). She then said she knew all the best spots because she's been doing this forever. She marked several spots on the map for an IMAX, water ferry, and some other building for a view. I told her we wanted to walk around gastown, go to a few foodie spots we picked out,and check out Chinatown. Then she said "I wouldn't go to Chinatown, it's not nice. Go here trust me I know where to go you see, I know everything". Again I had to hurry her along, take the map and head out. Of course we did our own thing and had a great time. Thankfully she wasn't around at night when we returned because I didn't want to talk to her about anything else. At this point she was a ghost around the corner. We tried avoiding her as much as possible. She was on top of things as far as cleaning the rooms and she even put flowers in our room for our honeymoon which was nice, but some of her comments and actions just offset the nice parts.
On the last morning we had breakfast there just to simplify things. It was a nicely mad omelette and toast. We were talking with some visitors fro China at the table and while we're talking she exclaims from the kitchen " talk louder so I can hear....I want to go to China so I want to hear what you're recommending". Then she comes over and suddenly we're talking about her wall decorations and how she likes it clean and not too crowded and she travels all over the world and stays free many places because she's in the business. The Chinese people asked where we were from and we told them Hawaii and she butted in saying "Oh I love the Hawaii and the Kona Island (You mean the Big Island aka Hawaii?) I could have bought my parents' condo but I didn't. When I go to Honolulu I stay at the Sheraton, which is the best hotel there, very pricey (which it's far from the best BTW)". Somehow no matter what you talk about, she'll find a way to talk about herself then say you should trust her every opinion about everything.
Then afterwards she range me up for my stay, overcharging me $50 or so from the online price. I didn't want to talk to her any more so I just said to hell with it and paid it.

The location really is great, about 15 minutes walking to the Seabus to travel by public transit (highly recommend, save on parking) as the DayPass is only 9.75 for everything. It's close to the shipyards night market which is supposed to be good. Again, we missed it due to our late checking in nightmare. The house is "quaint" which in hospitality terms translates to small, crowded, and old looking. Whatever. If it's clean, gets the towels changed, and has a nice vie that's fine for me. It was weird that our bedroom and bathroom had blinds opening to the top deck which was shared with the room next to us. Don't shower or poop with the window open!
If you're clueless when you travel and need recommendations for every little thing, then I'm sure Margaret is great with her tips. But if I say I know where I'm going and don't need help (which was stated several times) and you force your opinions on me, now that's just rude.

Maybe it was her (reportedly rude) European demeanor or she felt insulted I didn't want her help, but she made it an uncomfortable experience for me and my wife. We actually spent the rest of our trip joking about what she'd say about our plans for Victoria and our mountain lodge.

This place gets an average rating only for the great location, good view, safe neighborhood, and clean house. The host ruined it for us! Everyone else on here seems to love her so take it for what it's worth. But we won't be returning.

Side note:
the shower didn't get hot at all, only the tub (which took like 20 minutes to fill up) so that was uncomfortable as well.

Room: Cherry Blossom

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kyle m
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The neighborhood is residential and calm, but right next door is a wheat processing plant and or wharehouse, which spoils the otherwise beautiful view to the Vancouver skyline and is rather noisy (day and night). Maragret, the innkeeper, is a bit bossy, but otherwise quite nice. Our room (French Provincial) had a nice balcony (to be shared with 2 other rooms). Breakfast is in the kitchen, which is quite dark and cramped, and has not enough space for all guests, when inn is full. Latecomers are asked to come back. (Recommendation: If I were the host, I´d at least offer a cup of coffee and begged them to wait on the porch, for example). The location is fine - just 4 blocks to the seabus that takes you to Vancouver downtown. Room was quite nice, however I do not like the idea of having the owners 2 dogs enter the guest rooms or keep barking on the guests balcony. All in all an ok place to go, but this B+B´s website promises a bit more than you should expect. The Wifi is excellent, though.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LiA G
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The location of this quaint European Style B&B is absolutely picture perfect. With views of the mountains and inlet and in close walking proximity to the transit corridor and the beautiful Lower Lonsdale waterfront and shoppes, makes this a choice accommodation. Margaret is super friendly and extends a vast amount of knowledge with regards to tourism sites and adventures both on the North Shore and throughout the Lower Mainland. It was a very memorable extended stay for me. I highly recommend Ocean Breeze B&B, year round!

Room Tip: The Eagle's Nest Suite gives you views of the mountains and the water, it is larger in size and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This B&B has rooms with a perfect view to the Vancouver. It comes with port and ships' sounds (these are not too noisy, actually very nice) - so you feel Vancouver starting and ending it's day very intimately. Hostess Margaret is very nice, knowledgeable and friendly. Just ask. Seabus to Vancouver's downtown is 20 min by foot, ride is 15 min. Breakfasts are great but time is fixed, those who leave early can only have flakes etc. There are two dogs in the property - those allergic be aware. I recommend this place for everyone who wants to experience Vancouver and Canada from the local side, not the tourist filled centrum. North side restaurant, public market, brewery etc. are very international, vivid and also not too fancy...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ruta A
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have stayed for 2 months at this location because of a course at BCIT and I would say that I recommend this option for people with a long stay in general. The owner is correct, the rooms are clean and its a quiet place in general.

Thanks Margaret

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank capitaine25
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed for 2 months at Ocean Breeze Bed & Breakfast for business.
It's located in a beautiful area in North Vancouver. Very easy to get around (buses, Seabus, taxi,...).
There are a lot of nice restaurants and coffee bars nearby. And only 15 min by feet to Lonsdale Quay where you can take the Seabus to downtown.

Margaret was an excellent host! Every Sunday we had this amazing breakfast. She was always there to give you recommendations on what to visit in and outside Vancouver.

Comfortable and always clean room. The view from my room was fantastic!

Overall - a very good place to stay if want to be in North Vancouver.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Vancouver
Lonsdale Quay Hotel
#4 of 10 in North Vancouver
Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
#1 of 10 in North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
Fairmont Pacific Rim
#3 of 92 in Vancouver
Atrium Inn Vancouver
#60 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Ocean Breeze Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!