“Very Good Szechuan Restaurant”

Red Chilli Szechuan Cuisine
Ranked #77 of 405 Restaurants in North Vancouver
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We find that the meals served at this restaurant are very good. They are all very flavourful and the presentation is excellent. While the portions are not large, they are good value for the price. You mush enjoy spicy Szechuan food if you come here. Favourites are the Spicy Wonton appetizer, Spring Rolls, Ginger Beef, Spicy Green Beans, Orange Peel Beef, Garlic Boneless Beef, Chicken with Cashew, Hot and Sour Soup, Prawns in Black Bean Sauce. Have not had a plate that we didn't enjoy. On the service side, the host does try to hurry you along if the restaurant is full and there are people waiting something we do not like. The owners can be perceived as cold but I have found that once they get to know you, they are quite friendly. It is best to go for a early or later dining time and avoid the busy time. Service is much better. We have gone for dinner at 8 pm and closed the place down without any pressure from the staff to leave.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Five of us went to this restaurant. I have lived in Asia for 11 years and I know Chinese food very well. At least twice a week we eat Chinese food at some restaurant outside and we cook Chinese cuisine at home. We ordered four plates of food plus a bucket of rice and the arrogant man in Black Uniform (he is always there in the same unwashed outfit) tells us condescendingly: "One More". We said "Thank you we should be OK with four plates plus rice". He is visibly upset! Leaves our table without saying thank you for our order and walks up to a woman at the cash register. He passes the order, nods towards our table which gets the woman to turn her face towards our table and he says something, and the woman's face also turns sour. Then couple sentences more and she starts to laugh and goes into kitchen. At this stage: I do not trust the food but I keep my mouth shut as my guests need not get worried. The $10 bowl of soup comes out and we are shocked: that bowl is just enough for two persons. I lied to say I will skip the soup as I am full but then two others at our table also insisted that others should eat the soup: everyone knew the soup is not enough. The shrimp plate comes to us and it STINKS FOUL! It smells of raw sewerage. The tofu is over cooked such that it is chewy. It smells burnt. The other two dishes are OK, nothing fantastic. The bowl of rice for five person is enough for two persons. It is billed at $5. The soft drink is in a tiny glass cup usually meant for morning fruit juice. The attitude is so bad.... I would NEVER eat there again. We finish eating and our bill comes flying on our table. Not placed but thrown. OK.... I go to the cashier and she sees my credit card and the cashier says: "Machine Not Work. You have cash?". I suspoect she is lying and I said I did not have cash. Another gentleman at the cash register tells me he has the exact same problem. So I said lets try again. She says "Cash only. Machine Not work." I told her she'd have to wait so I can go and get cash. Suddenly her machine fixes itself! Two and half hours later my stomach begins to give me trouble. For two days after that I had severe diarrhea. My guests also had diarrhea. I am upset and embarrassed.

2  Thank GrayHairedMan
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I found the food delicious. Hot and sour soup and chicken chow mien with black bean sauce are my caves. And this last time the service was pleasant and great! One of my do do places to hit when I come to town.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

First time at this place, but not first time for this type of food, and when the orange chicken came to the table a weird smoky burnt smell take place. Asked the waiter if we could return the dish but the guy with an arrogant attitude told us that was a normal smell and taste and that we are not use to this cuisine. The other dish was too sweet, the beef was so thin we could not taste it.
Not worth the money asked at all. Don t even think about going there for a try...

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We always go here with the inlaws who are Chinese from Malasia and know good food!