“Weekend Getaway”

Edward Hotel Markham
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Markham
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I originally booked this hotel room for my husband and his parents through priceline 1 week before the arrival date. After other plans were cancelled, we booked an additional room through priceline the night before and were able to get a reasonable rate for the quality of the room. Upon check in around 11PM on Friday night, the receptionist asked if we would prefer 2 or 1 beds, of course we said two. When my husband checked in moments later, he was not asked this question and received a King Bed for three people while our room had 2 Queens for 2 people. Of course, we swapped rooms so that no one had to sleep on the floor. The receptions did not really appear too friendly, he handed over our room keys, but did not provide any details whatsoever as to fitness room, pool, breakfast hours, or wireless internet access (the signal kept dropping). Our room with a king bed was a sleep number bed, however it did not work. The bed itself was very comfortable with nice bedding and allowed for two excellent nights sleep.

We appreciated the warning in the shower about the steep sides of the shower as my mother is very short and the area could be very slippery. The room also had a nice size refrigerator for drinks and left over snacks and the carpet looked to be fairly new.

There was a fair amount of construction in the error which we were unaware of, but the location is great for First Markham Mall, Pacific Mall, and the various restaurants in the area. Overall, we would stay here again without hesitation.

2  Thank Melissa Y
Laura B, Director of Sales at Edward Hotel Markham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback and review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the amenities the area has to offer. Apologies for the traffic problems, we'll all be happy once the new rapid transit lanes are finished as well. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

This hotel is right off the highway into Markham, but the construction right outside the hotel is horrendous. Literally, one mile can take 15 mins to drive! The hotel is nice, rooms have been updated, but the sleep number beds do not work. Regardless the rooms are very comfortable & also has a small fridge in them. There is a restaurant on site, but it would be much more convenient if they had a quick coffee shop in the lobby. There are places nearby, but again construction traffic is horrible.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Edward Hotel Markham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for your kind comments I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. Apologies for the traffic problems, we'll all be happy once the new rapid transit lanes are finished. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I liked everything about this hotel. The location is right off the highway, so it’s convenient to get to. It’s a high rise building, so there is no problem with highway noise. The surrounding is more of a business park than residential, but still there are plazas nearby with restaurants and markets. The room is clean and spacious enough for two adults and two kids. The bed is comfortable with very nice pillow and comforter. The swimming pool is not very big but serves it purpose, especially for the kids. There is a hot tub too. The breakfast has hot food like bacon, ham, sausage, egg and pancakes, etc. The front desk and the restaurant staff were friendly and helpful. The only reason I couldn’t give a 5 star rating is that when I booked this hotel, it’s said the room includes free breakfast, but when we checked in, we were told the free breakfast is only for two people in the room. I booked the room with two adults and two kids including their ages. The kids did get 50% off on their breakfast. I just wish it could be a little clearer on the description. I checked hotels.com also, and don’t remember it was clearly mentioned there either. I don’t mind paying, I just like to know that ahead of time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Edward Hotel Markham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Thank you for your comments and delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. Apologies for the lack of clarification on the breakfasts and we'll look into seeing how we can make it clearer. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

when we first arrived they were so friendly and welcoming, they gave a little complimentary kids bag ( age appropriate for each child) to the kids and were so willing to make sure we were happy. Rooms were super clean and comfortable, they were enjoyable for adults and children including up to date furnishings and movies and a video game system. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was excellent quality. I would recommend this hotel easily.

Room Tip: for families or couples, upper floors 10 and up are recently renovated, hotel is gorgeous
1  Thank Jennifer M
lboyden101, Manager at Edward Hotel Markham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our facilities for the kids.
If you have anything else you wish to share or if I can provide any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Laura Boyden

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed her for business meetings for a week. I found the beds to be comfortable and the rooms to be clean and new. The staff at the front desk were helpful, and the restaurant in the hotel (at least for breakfast, was nice--buffett style with a good selection).

I used the fitness facility one day after work and found it was reasonable for a basic workout and included some weight machines and weights.

The hotel itself is accessbile to the 404 for access to quick highway commuting--which turned out to be beneficial a few days.

The location is good for someone with business to conduct in the North end of Toronto

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, our team and our services .

Laura Boyden

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed in Delta for three nights during labor day weekend with my family. I usually stayed in Marriott residences but since they were completely booked along with the neighboring hotels, I booked Delta. Check-in was at ease, Veronica and Sara were both helpful at the front desk with answering my questions. I was disappointed the two rooms we got were not next to each other nor on the same floor, i understand they're busy and at their max capacity for labor day weekend, they should have been planned/organized ahead since I booked almost 3 weeks in advance, not sure if this was excusable. I was constantly going up and down the elevators, which do not seemed to come frequent enough after so many trips. Upon arrival to my room, i see a box of peaches that were rotten and molded, it must have been there for over a week and tells me the hotel does not value cleanliness. I opened the fridge to put in water and discover a left over food which obviously passed their expiration date from the stench. I called and asked to be move a different room but was told there weren't any available. The walls in the room is very thin, I can hear everything from next door, the fact that the people next to me were extremely loud and woke me up at 5am and in the middle of the night did not helped either. Since i was told earlier the rooms were completely occupied, i did not informed the hotel staff of this nuisance since they won't be able to move us.

Some of the plus sides are they offer free internet. The lobby area looks clean, airy and modern. The water pressure in the shower is great, which is a luxury to me for hotels. Hotel is conveniently located right off Highway 7, which is where the shops and vast selection of asian restaurants are situated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Edward Hotel Markham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for both being unable to accommodate your rooms close to each other and for the food that was left in the room prior to your arrival. The hotel was sold out last weekend so we were unable to keep your rooms close but I am advised that we did offer an upgrade to allow your rooms to be near each other but because rooms with two beds were needed you were not able to accept. We are investigating how food came to be left in the room but I understand that it was promptly removed after being reported to us. Sorry for the inconvenience, I do hope it did not detract too much from your weekend and thank you for the positive comments.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Purchased room through Hotwire for a really cheap rate. Hotel staff treated us very well. Some hotels give discount buyers the worst room them have, not here. Our room was clean, bed was very comfortable. Location was just OK, as we were spending most of our time downtown, however we drove to Yorkdale Mall and took the subway in from there..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Edward Hotel Markham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your comments and glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back