“Great, economical hotel”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Markham
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Great, economical hotel”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn in Markham ON on business. The rate was attractive plus my experience at the Kingston Residence Inn led me to keep using this chain. Check in was fast and staff were polite and welcoming. I was in a suite with kitchenette on the 5th floor in the corner. One issue to note is the wind noise..... You hear a constant howl which was quite annoying, not the fault of the hotel or staff. Maybe just as for a middle room. Room were clean and tidy, will soon be in the need for updating though purely cosmetic. They had free breakfast though having to leave at 6am I could not take advantage. They offered free coffee 24/7 which was a bonus. No need to make it in the room or drive out for the java urge. 70/30 as to whether I would stay here again. Not the fault of staff or service, rather there are other places within close proximity with some better amenities and newer all around. Free parking was a good bonus!

Room Tip: Do not get a upper corner room. Lots of wind noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Jayzam79,
We're happy to have had you as our guest while on business, and we're glad our clean accommodations and staff's warm hospitality made for an enjoyable stay. We appreciate your feedback on opportunities for improving our guest experience. We value you as our guest and we hope you'll visit us the next time you travel to Markham. Thank you again for writing.

Anita Shu, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ontario
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Our family stayed one night at the Residence Inn in Markham and were extremely impressed by this hotel. The quality of the customer service was exceptional, particularly Cathy on the front desk when we checked in. Our two-bedroom suite was lovely, and very well-equipped, with a full kitchen. The free breakfast in the morning had a good selection, and the public areas in the hotel were clean and well-maintained. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Markham and will definitely be returning the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
MouseGirl1,
Thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience with us at Residence Inn Markham. I'm delighted to hear our staff's exceptional service in hospitality and cleanliness exceeded your expectations. I look forward to passing along your compliments to our team, and I will be certain to recognize Cathy with a special commendation for her outstanding service. We appreciate your feedback and high recommendations of our great hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest the next time you return to the area. Thanks again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Our party had several rooms booked for a large family vacation and the suite style rooms worked great for us. Each room we had included two bedrooms, each with its own bathroom and closet. In between the two rooms were a spacious living room area, with sofas and a TV, and a kitchen, with a stove, fridge, and microwave. We found the suites to be clean and pretty modern, with lots of space for our things and with plenty of room to move around.

Some of us took advantage of the pool while others used the gym. I can't remember much about the breakfast, but there was a pretty nice and generous spread of the standard fare. The Wifi worked nicely in the rooms, albeit a bit slow, which is pretty much to be expected in hotels.

With such large, comfortable suites and all the usual amenities included, I found this to be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
J L,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with us at Residence Inn Markham. We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your family vacation, and we're glad our clean and spacious accommodations made for a comfortable stay. Please plan to visit us again in the near future for more family fun. Thank you once again for writing.

Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Well managed Residence Inn, stayed there on two separate occassions and both times were very pleasant. Anita and Kasun were great to work with and offered fantasitc customer service. On one occasion, my family left behind a clothing garment and they even offered to ship it back to the US. Breakfast was superior to other Residence Inns' I've been to with lots of fresh fruits and constantly re-stocked. I'll be back visiting shortly.

Thanks!

Jake F.

Room Tip: Two bedroom suites were a nice upgrade and offer much more space compared to single studio or 1 bedr...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Jake F,
I'm delighted to hear about your pleasant stay, and your appreciation of our wonderful staff at Residence Inn Markham. We have a great team of dedicated associates that make sincere hospitality their priority. I appreciate your kind comments and will be certain to recognize Kasun with a special commendation for the fantastic customer service they delivered during your stay. Thank you for your review and continued patronage. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you once again for writing.

Houston
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had to stay close to Richmond Hill for a meeting and chose this hotel because of its location. It is a typical Residence Inn with good standard amenities. I had room 504 on the top floor and found it very quiet. Wifi connections were very good and the bed very nice to sell in.

The only issue was an accidental miscommunication between hotel staff where my room was confused with another room with early checkout. My stuff was cleared out briefly but once the error was discovered, all was put back. This is the first time this has ever happened to me in decades of hotel stays. However, it was all sorted out and notes which were thrown away by the housekeeping staff were recovered safely from the trash by Ruby, one of the front desk staff.

I would recommend the hotel, just be sure to have an accurate set of directions from Toronto airport since heavy traffic and signage may prove an impact.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PDM77059,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with us at Residence Inn Markham. It's great to hear you found our location and amenities to meet your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the issue you encountered, and we greatly appreciate your understanding with this rare occurrence. I'm pleased to hear our staff quickly resolved the issue and recovered your notes safely. I have addressed this review with our staff in order to heighten our awareness of such issues and to ensure this problem is avoided in the future. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and would recommend our hotel to others. We hope to have an opportunity to extend our hospitality to you in the near future. Thank you again.

ROCHESTER
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for quite a few weeks this summer ('13) and overall found the facility more than acceptable. Staff were friendly, accommodating and efficient (one staff member could use a little refresher on phone communication - they were a bit blunt, but face-to-face communication was just fine). I can advise, however, not to book a 1 bedroom over a studio.... unless you need the privacy of a door to your bedroom, you will actually lose 4-5 sq. feet, as well as having a shorter table to eat at and no oven. The trade-off of less space and not being able to be more creative at dinner time, was that you get an extra TV. Having 2-burners and a microwave will probably satisfy most, but for longer visits, it just isn't enough. I wish they had told me before we moved from a studio. We thought we would be getting a bigger room (you would think paying more gives you more all around). The fitness center is just a bike, stair-climber, treadmill, one set of 10 lb weights (there is some sort of contraption which are supposed to be weights, but no one could figure it out) and a bench. Enough to do the most basic workout. The pool is indoor and we found it mostly not to be busy with kids, etc. at all. Right across the 2-row parking lot is another Marriot brand, the newer Courtyard, so this makes it a nice little complex. You have the option of going over there to the bar/café without having to get in a car. We also enjoyed taking walks in the evening there - plenty of green to be seen and outdoor seating too. The location is quiet which is difficult to believe when it is one block south of Hwy 7 - a very, very busy business route but that also means a huge selection of shops, groceries and restaurants / tea rooms within 5 minutes of the hotel. I should mention, that the area leans toward Japanese / Chinese / Vietnamese / Korean / Indian. So while you have the standard Western grocery and shopping readily available, you also have the lovely added benefit of exploring other cultures. Bubble tea was a first for us and thoroughly enjoyed it. As well as visiting the not far away Pacifica Mall - I felt like I was back visiting Singapore with all the shops under one roof and the grocery provided the freshest fish around, including live lobster for $5/lb! For our son, who at 13 hasn't traveled outside of N. America beyond Europe yet, it was a fascinating introduction to a new culture. But I diverge.... the only complaint on the rooms other than noted above, is that our room had burnt countertops and the clothes closet mirrored doors had to be held at both ends to close it properly or the opposite end opened up again. I would definitely stay here again (pets are welcomed too) and as I always try to leave a place better or at least the same as I found it (I even remove the sheets and cases from the bed to help housekeeping), I hope my complaints won't make their management too upset, especially as I rate the overall experience a "thumbs up"!

Room Tip: Doors lock at 10 pm, so if you have a room further away from the elevator and reception, you will ex...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Andy B,
Thank you for your review and recommendation! We’re so glad you enjoyed staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.
Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn Toronto Markham for your travel needs and we look forward to being of service the next time you are in the area!

Yours truly,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We make an annual trip to Toronto to visit relatives and have stayed at this hotel each year for the last 5 years. Always a pleasure to be welcomed 'home' by their friendly and courteous staff. Clean spacious rooms, conveniently located and very fairly priced. Just checked out today... but we'll be back next August.. if not sooner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, the East side. Very quiet and relaxing.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom_HK
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Tom_HK,
Thank you for your review and continued patronage over the years. We appreciate you choosing Residence Inn Markham for your annual trips to Toronto. We’re pleased to know our friendly staff makes you feel right at home, and you find our convenient location perfectly suited for your travels. We look forward to seeing you again next August, if not sooner. Thank you again for writing.