“Great location”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Markham
Boston, MA
“Great location”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn Toronto Markham for multiple nights and had a very good experience. The hotel is conveniently located next to major interactions, with many dining options nearby. The neighborhood area is very nice. Our room was clean and fairly well maintained. The staff, led by shift manager Tom Tran, was friendly and helpful.
My major complaints with Residence Inns in general (not just this one) is the quality of the sofa bed; it is virtually impossible to sleep on it as your back will have a close encounter with the metal springs. After a few nights sleeping on the pull-out sofa bed as well as the sofa itself (without pulling out the bed), I was exhausted. I stayed in a Diamond Resort property in Florida early this year and they had much better sofa be mattress, which felt pretty much the same as regular bed mattress. Marriott should be able to do the same.
This specific location has a very small breakfast area and the taste of the food was not on par with other Residence Inns for some reason. I wish the coffee remained in the lobby area after the breakfast was over, but only iced water was left. Despite minor issues we had a good time and would definitely stay here again. The Marriott Courtyard next door also looked very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear TP1234,

We are happy to hear from you and value your kind review. It is encouraging to know that your stay was enjoyable; we work hard to provide a pleasant experience. Your comments, which highlight our successes and areas for improvement, are welcomed as they foster change for the better. We appreciate being a part of your trip!

Anita Shu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2014

As a long long time Marriott platinum member, the Residence brand is my favorite, until this stay. When we checked in on Sunday, we were assured an upgrade was not available because the hotel was fully booked. OK, a one bedroom at a Residence is not a bad place to stay. Until we got in the room and opened the curtains. Nice view!! The view of the roof and a trashed broken screen. The issues continued…

· 1. We were right next to the laundry room. Sitting at the desk trying to work at 9 PM at night, and listening to the banging of an unbalanced washer.

· 2. Giving a webex presentation the next morning, the housekeeper across the hall continuously let the door bang on the stopper as she went in and out – the walls here are not that thick!

· 3. This is not the typical Marriot bed – I woke up with a sore back after tossing and turning all night on an old, thin mattress. It’s not even a queen size, let alone a king size, it’s more like a full/double old bed. It doesn’t even have a typical Marriott duvet on the bed.

· 4. The air conditioning fan is SOOO loud! I tried turning it off but then woke up sweating as the room rose to 75 degrees – tried opening a window but it was stuck.

· 5. The sofas are old and sagging – can’t even sit on one without a pillow.

Bad experience at this property. The Customer Care manager, on our last night, offered us a two bedroom!! There was no way we were packing up and moving, just for one night.

Room Tip: Stay away from the laundry rooms!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marie S
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Marie S,

I’m so sorry we disappointed you during your stay. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to address your concerns while you were in-house. Please know that we have taken action to ensure these problems do not occur again at our hotel. I understand your frustrations and regret deeply that we let you down. We value you as our guest and hope to restore your faith in our hotel and service team.

Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We recently stayed at this Residence Inn (August 5-8). We were traveling with my in-laws so we booked a two bedroom suite. This was the perfect place for us. We were close to highways to take us where we wanted to go (Canada's Wonderland etc.) and it had everything we could ask for. I am a huge fan of Marriott hotels and stay at them whenever I can. This one did not disappoint. The front desk staff was exceptional, as well as the managers and the staff that cleaned our room. The pool and hot tub is excellent and often empty, so we could have it to ourselves. The price of the hotel includes a complimentary breakfast as well as a light dinner, three days a week (Mon-Wed). On check out we were rushing to our next destination and in my rush, I forgot a small jewelry box with a bracelet and three pairs of earrings. The cleaning staff found the box and turned it into the front desk. The manager sent the box back to me. I was over the moon.
If you want to go downtown to do the Hockey Hall of Fame, Centre Island or anything else downtown, do not drive. Especially not this summer as all of downtown Toronto is under construction and many roads are closed. Go to a park and ride like the one at Finch Street and take the Subway downtown.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lisa S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. It is encouraging to hear that your stay was enjoyable; our associates strive to provide a pleasant experience. I'm glad we were able to locate your personal items and return them. Your kind comments are appreciated and we look forward to a return visit.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I've stayed at this place several times. It has never felt like a hotel and more like a luxurious home that you'd want to stay forever. The place is as clean as it gets, the breakfast is exceptional, the pool is great, and most importantly it offers great service. I've mostly stayed here in summers, but if you are going there in Winter I do NOT recommend it unless you have a car. It's extremely hard to walk to/from the road to the hotel in harsh Canadian weather and the bus service is terrible. I wish I could come here more often :(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RyanFarCry
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear RyanFarCry,

I’m so glad you enjoyed our hotel and amenities! Incredible reflections like yours, which highlight strengths and areas for improvement, assist us in delivering a pleasant experience. I will share your kind remarks with the team. Thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel, and we hope to host you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We often travel to stay in TO. While my husband works. We stay for 5 days at a time. This is our third time returning this summer!
I travel with my 4 young children and finding a place that has big suites to make hotel living fun is key. Pluses = room size, pool, fantastic breakfast selections, dinners Monday through Wednesday, hotel
staff is great and very helpful. The house staff named " David " has especially gone above and beyond to make our stay...we checked in at 11:30 at night..with very sleepy children.. He carried all our luggage in, brought extra bedding and towels because we have a big family, he was joyful and considerate and thoughtful..even so late at night.
Yes, as reviews mentioned it is not a new hotel..it is dated. But I am travelling on a family vacation. The value, location and what is available here in a big 2 room suite ( wifi too!) Far outwighs anything esthetic.
I highly reccomend this Residence Inn! We will be back again.

• Stayed August 2014
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear mcminten-adventures,

We are happy to hear from you and glad to know your stay was pleasant. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Your comments, which highlight strengths and areas for improvement, serve as encouragement to our associates who genuinely care about providing each guest with an enjoyable stay. I will share your kind comments with David. We look forward to your next visit.

Buffalo, N.Y.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Me and my gf stayed here for a couple days and were happy with our stay. I will list the pros and cons below:
Pros: Free parking, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast (which was just ok), Pool and hot tub, workout room (small), refrigerator microwave plates and so forth in our room, laundry room to do your laundry ($1.50 per load and another $1.50 to dry - both go for a half hour each), a small basketball court / tennis court, and number one on the pros list is the front desk staff. They were exceptional! Haslin was more than friendly and even help us with currency exchange. He also gave us a tip to take the subway to see the CN town, which we loved.
Cons: Breakfast waitress staff (seemed rather rude every morning and didn't want to be bothered), the bed (was too firm for our liking, but others may enjoy it), and the towels (they were ultra scratchy). One morning we went to the pool and there were no towels available, but that can be overlooked.
And there you have it - for the price, you really can't go wrong (we got our reservation from Priceline). The rooms are nice and the front desk staff really makes you feel at home. It was a good hotel to stay at if you want to be in between Toronto and the Toronto zoo. There are places to eat around the hotel, but you'll need a vehicle, as the walk could be a bit far.
Also, I was skeptical reading some of these reviews, but the hotel didn't disappoint. It does need some updating, but it's not horrible. One last tip: if you decide to go to the CN tower or downtown Toronto, drive to the Finch Street subway station and park in their lot (weekends are free!). For $3 each way, you can go all the way there. CN tower will be the Union station stop - and its a few blocks after that.
Hope this helps you. =)

Room Tip: We did Priceline and were happy with the outcome. We stayed on the 2nd floor and it was very quiet...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review and recommendation! I’m thrilled to know your stay was pleasant and we appreciate you choosing us. Your honest feedback on areas which we can improve fosters positive change for future stays. I will be sure to share your kind comments with our entire team as they work hard to make our guests feel at home.

Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

First time at a residence inn and was expecting it to be a cleaner and more renovated hotel since it's a marriott. not the case here... The room seemed dirty and the whole place needs to be updated and renovated. The pull out couch smelled like dogs were in here at one point. I will not return again.

Service by the staff was great though. Very courteous and friendly and attentive.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank MzHui21
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Markham, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for acknowledging that our associates were welcoming and nice even though you did not find our accommodations to your liking. We appreciate our guests taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback both positive and opportunities for improvement; this allows us to positively impact future guest experiences.

Anita Shu, GM