“Very intimate Italian restaurant”

Carmelina Italian Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 640 Restaurants in Markham
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Esna Park Dr.
Toronto, Canada
“Very intimate Italian restaurant”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I had visited this restaurant last Wednesday. I was so impressed, that I took my family there last night for dinner.
Great atmosphere, superb cuisine, excellent service toped with a serenading singer with his guitar.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Salim K

London, United Kingdom
“amazing for celebration”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We hosted a special event with 30 guests at Carmelina's on a Saturday night, and the manager and servers were extraordinary. For a fixed price (and choice for the entree and dessert, which we were able to decide on with the manager) we had a delicious 3-course meal. While the restaurant does not have a separate room for events, we had a corner to ourselves and another table across the way for kids, which was perfect - it allowed for mingling between courses and a safe space for the kids to move around. The staff were patient, attentive and cheerful throughout the evening, and the musician playing at the tables was delightful. The staff and ambiance made the evening memorable for our family and friends.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank NiPi2008
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Almost perfect ... Almost ...”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Have a night out with my Partner on valentines day , always pass by this restaurant and wanted to give it a try . .... Awesome place , awesome food , great server .... Except this manager kind of thing / gentleman ... Maybe you do not like us gay people ... But please at least be professional , why turn your back on us everytime you walk by ? He went to warm every table except us ? Seriously .....

1 Thank Tazbb
Toronto
“Live music made the night pleasantly fun!”
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

When I review a restaurant I normally break down the review with service, food atmosphere etc. With this one I am going to review it based on my overall experience. I was pleasantly surprised by this restaurant. The menu selection was varied, food was tasty and the man playing piano alternating with guitar made the overall experience lovely. We went on a Saturday night - family of 6 with 2 children (older). The meal came to about $220 not including tip. They had a free valet service which was a nice touch on a very cold night. We were celebrating a birthday and they brought us a tiramisu with a candle. I would return to Carmelina again. I would recommend it for a Saturday night as it wasn't too crowded to get in without a reservation. Pastas were full of healthy ingredients and there was a wide choice of what type of pasta you could have. Overall lovely.

1 Thank Mandy007
London, Canada
“Won't Be Going Back”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

My daughter and I chose to go to this restaurant as it looked like it would be a nice authentic Italian restaurant. Before going in, we looked at the menu posted outside the door as we weren't looking for an expensive restaurant for lunch. It looked reasonable so we decided to try it.

Once inside, we were greeted by a man who said that we had to be out of the restaurant by 1 PM (it was 12.05) because there was a private party starting. I responded that as long as they had the food ready for us it would not be a problem. He assured me that the food would be served fast.

When we looked at the menu, it was completely different than the one posted outside the door. The prices were almost double and, when we asked, they said it was because it was the Christmas menu. Since we were already seated, we discussed it and decided to stay anyway.

My daughter ordered the gorgonzola gnocchi and I ordered the mushroom risotto. Our food arrived at 12.45, giving us 15 minutes to eat, pay the bill and get out. Her gnocchi was very good. My risotto was more like soup. It was very watery and tasted exactly that - watery. One waiter came by and asked about our meals, then quickly said, "Oh, your mouths are full" and left before we could respond. I only ate less than a quarter of the meal. When they came to pick up our plates, both my daughter and I said that her meal was great but that mine was not good at all. I said that risotto is not supposed to be swimming in liquid and he agreed that it was not right. He asked if they could make another for me but I said no thanks as it was now 1 PM and we had to get out of the restaurant. He said he would see what he could do. A few minutes later he returned and asked if I would like a dessert "on the house" or "to go". I declined as we had to leave and I didn't really want any dessert. He went and spoke to the manager and returned and said that all he could do was give us a discount on our meals and handed us the bill. WOW, a whopping 10% discount on both our meals. Why on earth was my daughter given a 10% discount when her meal was great. I should have received a FAR LARGER discount or even not been charged at all for my meal. That is what most reputable restaurants would offer.

Needless to say, I was not impressed and will not be returning to this restaurant, nor would I recommend it to others.

• Visited December 2012