“DON'T GO THERE- WARNING!!!”

Howard Johnson Cornwall
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I was in Cornwall for a 3 day convention. I was so disappointed. Never again. The state of the room was pityful. The carpet were dirty, the vents of the air conditioner were full of mold. The free breakfast....mold muffins, even on the bread. Air-conditioning wasn't working at all in certains rooms. We had 2 shortages of electricity due apparently due to usage of hair dryer.

So if you decide to go there well dont say we didn't warn you....

Room Tip: GO TO SUPER 8....I visit the room and it's clean, worth your money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank frizine

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We booked this hotel online needing a stop over in Cornwall, it was reasonably priced and there were not many options. We relied on the Howard Johnson brand for minimum standard but were disappointed with the facility. Rooms are small, outdated and not very clean. It had been years since I worried about sleeping in a hotel bed, this place will give you that feeling. The hallways are small and cluttered with inoperative pop machines? There are no amenities to speak of. They advertise a queen bed but they are only doubles and the mattresses are as dated as the rest of it.

We rated this a 2 as they did provide wifi and a breakfast (dining room is as bad as the rest of the hotel), the sheets seemed clean and it was quiet (albeit there were many empty rooms). It was properly priced at $80 for the night, not worth a penny more.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkJuliann
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My family stayed here for one night as we travelled to see our family in Toronto. The stale smoke smell as you walk into the hotel lobby should have been my first clue that this was going to be a bad stay! When I checked in the hotel clerk, while quite friendly, charged me for the night when I was quite sure we had already paid online. A quick call to Expedia confirmed that indeed I had been charged twice and thankfully they were able to process a refund, cause paying the $80 that the hotel charged me was already way overpriced for what we got! The room also had the same stale smoke smell, the beds were covered in old comforters (I slept fully clothed!),and the taps were extremely sensitive and took awhile to get hot water. We didn't even attempt the breakfast the next morning as I couldn't wait to get out of there!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Smgie
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Very dirty...needs to be updated. The comforters were from the 70s and so are the mattresses. Did not enjoy the stay but was too tired to leave. The good, pet friendly which is not easy to find. Not impressed and would not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank w0190551
sam b, Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

I am very sorry, that you felt we were below your expectations. Please let me know the date and the room number you were in, when you stayed with us. because we are very much concerned and would like to check and correct the complaint asap. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was in Cornwall on Business, despite work paying for the room, I still try and book at modest hotels to keep costs down for my employer. My first peeve is that I booked online and was quoted 90 dollars, fine I thought, fair price for a decent hotel room. To my surprise there is a big sign out front indicating the price is 59.99, however since I booked online I still had to pay the full price. It would have been nice for them to discount the room.

The Hotel room itself is fine. Older TV, fridge, bed, washroom. The blankets were a bit thin and I was cold overnight. There is smell of smoke in the hotel, or a smell leftover from when they did allow smokers in the hotel.

The breakfast was pure bad, even for free. The communal shared butter with shared knife is not sanitary, and ended up buying breakfast else where.

the front desk lady was nice, friendly and professional. I suspect she is the only one working there and she has her work cut out for her.

The area of the town the hotel is in is not nice, and since I was traveling a large amount of equipment I did not feel safe leaving it in the car and left everything in my room.

Bottom line, for 60 bucks which is the going rate, I wouldn't have complained at all, but for 90 I think next time I will pay the few dollars more and stay in a higher end hotel. As we speak I am checked into a higher end hotel in Ottawa which is $50 dollars more a night, and you know what, it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: don't book online, you'll over pay
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2012

At first we booked this hotel to save a few bucks, but as soon as we saw the place we instantly regretted it. The outside was shabby and run down and the parking lot was filthy. Our room was the last room on the back side of the building right in front of the dumpster. Too top it off there was a retarted pidgeon running around in circles outside our door. First stepping into the room was this horrible smell (ever heard of air freshener's?) then came the long outdated furnature. The beds looked filthy and were about as comfortable as sleeping on the ground. Plus we brought our own pillows in from the car because we didn't want to chance theirs. Next came the battle with the lock. The deadlock on our door would not fit into the hole, so we had to leave it with just the chain. The "breakfast" was bread with jam, and the lady at the front desk had to go into a back room to make the coffee since there wasnt one in the breakfast area. This was a horrible hotel and no person deserves the pain to have have to stay their. Do your self a favour and stay ANYWHERE else.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mike b
sam b, General Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

This is a review from a guest who apparently stayed with a different name six months ago when we were not even Howard Johnson Hotel, (review is from August 2012). Now we are a Howard Johnson Hotel and we do not have any of the issues listed in the complaint. Please remove this as it will ruin our business even though we are not the same franchise or hotel. Thanks

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Just took a chance on this motel while passing through from NS to Toronto. A bit outdated but fairly clean & in a very good location. A good nights sleep at a reasonable price. The 2 staff members I came in contact with were very friendly. To those whiners expecting a 12 star hotel at 1/2 star prices, this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo