“Really gross every time.”

Howard Johnson Cornwall
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I travel from London, Ontario to Saint John, New Brunswick a few times per year. Cornwall is an ideal stopping place, so I stop here every time. I have a dog, so I am forced to stay in this repulsive hotel. I have never had a successful stay with no issues. Last time I was here, the shower didn't work in my room. This time, they wouldn't put me in a room with a single bed and the alarm in the room next to me started going off at 4am and continued until I called the front desk. The beds are unclean and the whole place smells like stale cigarette smoke. This place is extremely overpriced for a disgusting and uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank azwick
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Cornwall

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I needed a room outside of Montreal and chose this property based on other reviews and price as well as location. The gentleman working the front desk was friendly enough as he checked us in. The lobby seemed straight out of the early 70s though, in appearance and smell. I used the restroom in the (closed) lounge and it smelled like a dirty bar rag in there. Really kinda gross, but I carried on, hoping my room would be nicer.

When I walked into my room I was hit in the face with the overbearing smell of bleach. I mean...it was really, really strong. The room was tiny and a little dirty, but seemed habitable other than the smell. I set up my laptop and checked out the bathroom. The floor was sticky and the tile seemed to be original to the building, decades old, and just nasty. The tub looked...ok. Not coated in mold or mildew or anything, just old and worn.

I went to the lobby to borrow a hair dryer and used the hall-door (I had a hall door and an outside door) and was hit with the distinct and thick smell of cigarette smoke as soon as I walked out. Clearly someone was ignoring the rules. It was nasty.

I stuck it out - like a champ. Stayed the night, took a shower. The next morning I went to breakfast in the lounge. The spread was actually sort of extensive, but the quality of the food was less than fresh. This is, however, somewhat forgivalble with a budget chain. I don't expect an awesome breakfast spread.

I do, however, expect a clean room. The biggest problem with this place was the smells - the dirty lounge, the bleach in the room, the smoke in the hall. I know you get what you pay for, and I take that into account with every review. This, however, is a place I won't return to.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank adavici
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Our family was traveling back to Toronto, and due to bad weather we had to stop. Prices of other hotels and motels were outrageous that night, trying to cash in on bad weather. We checked in this hotel, and the price was very acceptable. Hotel is very comfortable with large rooms, and they have done a lot of work with the rooms, so any harsh comments in the past are really in the past. The staff was very courteous and check in fast, since we were very tired. The room was quiet and kids loved the large screen TVs, and 100 channels on TV helped because we could entertain and watch 4 weather channels for next day. We loved this place so much we stayed an extra day. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Syed H
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Beds not made, dirt on beds that was already slept in, bugs in bed, non smoking sinked of stale cigarette smoke, crumbs on carpet, towels in bathroom used, bathtub cold tap was broken and toilet was dirty. Last time that I will stay at Howard Johnson!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at other hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Just stayed at the Ho-Jo this past weekend, booked 4 rooms for myself and family members. Was confident with the chain's name, previous to arrival, WYNDHAM is typically known for being professional, classy, and well kept.

This "hotel" is currently under renovations from a motel to "hotel". Not once while booking was this mentioned. This place is a complete dump and I do NOT suggest booking here. Pay an extra $10-$20 and stay at a better chain.

Once I arrived, the hotel is not 100% smoke-free like it claims at the front desk, the whole back of the hotel is still "smoking-friendly". You can book a smoking room, yet they have a sign at the front desk that indicates the "hotel" is 100% smoke friendly. When I asked the front desk clerk why the sign was up when the place clearly still has smoking rooms and still reaks like smoke, her reply was "we still haven't removed the dry-wall back there so we allow them to smoke until it's renovated".

Another issue with the HO-JO: I had an elderly Aunt who is on oxygen 24-7 and my grandmother bunking in one room, both well into their senior years. I expected a room with air-conditioning like advertised. Unfortunately, their room did NOT have working air conditioning and the temp was reaching the high 80's (F) high 20's (C) with humditiy. This caused my Aunt who is oxygen depended to use 10 tanks of oxygen within ONE weekend (span of 3 days). That is UNHEARD OF! Typically she should have only used max 5. We than had to arrange alternate oxygen tanks to be picked up 83km's away.
When we brought up our concerns of her health to the front desk, the lady at the front explained "there is nothing I can do!"

We also ran into errors like my brother checking into someone else's room. The person's belongings we already in their room and he had been checked into it as well.

I could go on and on about all the terrible service but I would be here for HOURS!
The bathroom's have a premanent dirt stained bottom bathtub, extremely OUTDATED!!!, and unkept! DIRTY, DISGUSTING, and NONE OF THE SHEETS FIT THE BED.

SO, if you like waking up at 2am with your face pressed against a public mattress, taking showers in a dirty tub, dealing with extremely rude employees "who can do nothing about everything", being checked into other people's rooms, smelling smoke everywhere you go, and don't care about the health of elderly people... this is the place for you!

NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER STAY HERE!!! CORPORATE HEAD OFFICE SHOULD BE DOING INSPECTIONS and shutting this place DOWN!

Shame on WYNDHAM!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT book at this hotel!! Disgusting!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ainsley A
sam b, General Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

I am really heart broken that you had so many issues when you stayed with us. Our endeavor since we changed the franchise this year is to give an excellent hospitality experience to our guests. That is the reason we have got new TV's, new furniture etc; and other amenities. We do realize that you had a person with special needs, and we did try to make your stay comfortable. Since the new central airconditioning is temp sensitive, the temperature that night fell to 6 degrees and the heaters got activated for the comfort of our other guests; but we did provide you with alternate cool air blowers to keep your special equipment going in your room, which operates at low temperatures. I am indebted to other guests in your party, who were very gracious and kept the noise down when we begged them to do so, when they came back from the wedding party festivities.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

My son and I stayed here 1 night for a hockey tourney. I booked the room through www.redtag.ca and when I arrived the girl at the front desk told me that they had no record of me paying through redtag and that I would need to pay or forfeit the room. I explained to her that I have a confirmation through retag for the room and had already paid on my VISA and further to that if I cancel now they would charge me the whole cost of the room again.
She got her manager on the phone who guaranteed me that she would ensure I would not be double charged for the same room and they would refund the $ if retag didn't comply.
I went ahead and used my VISA to pay for the same room I had already booked and later talked in person to the manager (5 pm) to explain the situation to her.
She told me to go ahead and cancel the retag booking and she would personally look after ensuring a full refund of those funds as the issue was theirs and not mine.
After several phone calls to the hotel and Howard Johnsons I am still waiting for my refund for their mix up. (6 months)

* I further would agree with the rest of the reviews on this site and was surprised that this was a Howard Johnsons as the quality of room and service has been HORRIBLE!!!!

Stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Jay W
sam b, Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

We checked with our staff, and this is a case of the desk clerk advising our guest of the price structure with internet travel agents, telling the guest since they charge upto 20% booking commission, she can save them money by taking them in as a walk in. We understand that was a case of over enthusiastic desk clerk. The guest opted for cancelling the res, and the internet travel agency has to reimburse them. Unfortunately we got the blame just because the desk clerk was giving suggestions which she should not have done in the first place; and she has been warned not to do that again.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

During July 2013, on our way to Montreal we decided to stay in Cornwall for a night being a long drive to Quebec City. Indeed, we had a memorable stay. The room was large with two cozy queen size beds and a fridge, that in fact added to overall comfort as we had some eatables. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly, and the location is central with just about all the best restaurants in the vicinity. Complimentary, always-on, high-speed wireless internet was my favourite. We will definitely stay in this hotel on our way back because for the price they charge is very competitive. This hotel has everything we wished. We admire the management and operations behind the show.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank KW58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornwall
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Massena
First Canada Inns
First Canada Inns
#5 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Howard Johnson Cornwall? Share your experiences!