“Can't have a shower”

Howard Johnson Cornwall
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
“Can't have a shower”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Arrived late at night no reservation, ok was discount a small amount but no hot water for shower place smells like bleach no help from staff with hot water issue. No coffee pot place is old and musty bleach used to try and hide smell but makes it worse never stay here again

• Stayed June 2014
sam b, General Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
The plumbing has a problem at 11 AM, almost checkout time. All rooms were sold at that time or we would have given another room. We had requested to give us time to fix the problem, but the guest insisted on a refund which was graciously and immediately paid to them. I am sorry, that they still felt they had to write this comment for us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I travel to Montreal for work quite often from Toronto. On the way back to Toronto, Cornwall makes for a decent stop for the night. I have stayed here on 3 occasions. The staff on the desk has always been very pleasant. For a budget hotel & the price I pay for the rooms, they have been pretty clean. However, the last time I stayed here I got bitten by something on the bed & the room smelled funny. On all my stays I have predominately 2 problems - 1) The shower heads don't have any water pressure so I haven't enjoyed taking a shower here & 2) I find the breakfast has a never been really fresh.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelr7
sam b, General Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
I am so glad that you have been staying with us in the past, and I will be indebted to you if we get a chance to serve you in the future. I am glad to inform you that we have brand new plumbing in most of the rooms, and the rest of the rooms will be refurbished by next week. Therefore there is now real high pressure in the showers and with new shower heads I am sure your stay with us will be a comfortable one. In addition we have changed our menu for the free breakfast and the supplier will make sure that all the supplies are changed every day, instead of on a need basis. I will be indebted to you if you will stay with us in the future as you have done in the past, and review and recommend us.
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

recently spent a night at this motel......lady on desk was extremely pleasant and very accommodating.....room was okay.....beds were comfortable......and our dog was welcome......certainly worthy of the price charged

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I travel from London, Ontario to Saint John, New Brunswick a few times per year. Cornwall is an ideal stopping place, so I stop here every time. I have a dog, so I am forced to stay in this repulsive hotel. I have never had a successful stay with no issues. Last time I was here, the shower didn't work in my room. This time, they wouldn't put me in a room with a single bed and the alarm in the room next to me started going off at 4am and continued until I called the front desk. The beds are unclean and the whole place smells like stale cigarette smoke. This place is extremely overpriced for a disgusting and uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank azwick

Travellers are raving about these Cornwall hotels

plymouth, mi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I needed a room outside of Montreal and chose this property based on other reviews and price as well as location. The gentleman working the front desk was friendly enough as he checked us in. The lobby seemed straight out of the early 70s though, in appearance and smell. I used the restroom in the (closed) lounge and it smelled like a dirty bar rag in there. Really kinda gross, but I carried on, hoping my room would be nicer.

When I walked into my room I was hit in the face with the overbearing smell of bleach. I mean...it was really, really strong. The room was tiny and a little dirty, but seemed habitable other than the smell. I set up my laptop and checked out the bathroom. The floor was sticky and the tile seemed to be original to the building, decades old, and just nasty. The tub looked...ok. Not coated in mold or mildew or anything, just old and worn.

I went to the lobby to borrow a hair dryer and used the hall-door (I had a hall door and an outside door) and was hit with the distinct and thick smell of cigarette smoke as soon as I walked out. Clearly someone was ignoring the rules. It was nasty.

I stuck it out - like a champ. Stayed the night, took a shower. The next morning I went to breakfast in the lounge. The spread was actually sort of extensive, but the quality of the food was less than fresh. This is, however, somewhat forgivalble with a budget chain. I don't expect an awesome breakfast spread.

I do, however, expect a clean room. The biggest problem with this place was the smells - the dirty lounge, the bleach in the room, the smoke in the hall. I know you get what you pay for, and I take that into account with every review. This, however, is a place I won't return to.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank adavici
Dammam, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Our family was traveling back to Toronto, and due to bad weather we had to stop. Prices of other hotels and motels were outrageous that night, trying to cash in on bad weather. We checked in this hotel, and the price was very acceptable. Hotel is very comfortable with large rooms, and they have done a lot of work with the rooms, so any harsh comments in the past are really in the past. The staff was very courteous and check in fast, since we were very tired. The room was quiet and kids loved the large screen TVs, and 100 channels on TV helped because we could entertain and watch 4 weather channels for next day. We loved this place so much we stayed an extra day. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Syed H
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Beds not made, dirt on beds that was already slept in, bugs in bed, non smoking sinked of stale cigarette smoke, crumbs on carpet, towels in bathroom used, bathtub cold tap was broken and toilet was dirty. Last time that I will stay at Howard Johnson!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at other hotel.