“great food for great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Harv's Diner

Harv's Diner
Ranked #27 of 164 Restaurants in Cornwall
Cuisines: Diner, Canadian, American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Cornwall, Canada
“great food for great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you are looking for a great place to eat at reasonable prices this is the place. 4.95 breakfast special.

• Visited June 2014

Akwesasne, ON
“Breakfast at Harv's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Harv's has a good breakfast, relatively inexpensive, quick, large servings, a bit noisy, back room is quieter and a little slower. I eat breakfast often here. Have never had lunch here so cannot rate that portion.

• Visited May 2014
Cornwall, Canada
“Excellent Diner Food for Breakfast and Lunch… Hot, Tasty and Plentiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

There’s plenty of seating in this diner with tables and counter seating up front and more tables in the back, and there’s no denying that the food is very good with a wide menu and a varying special-of-the-day lunch menu.

This is a cash-only diner, but customers can use an available ATM machine with a high convenience fee (inconvenient to the customer).

The service is quite efficient and they are staffed appropriate to the time of day, i.e. if you arrive at 6:00 am on a weekday morning there will likely be one server with more coming on duty a little later. On Sunday morning at 10:00 am there may be upwards of 4 or 5 servers and 3 cooks. I notice that the same servers and cooks have been on staff for years; I guess that’s a good sign.

As a closing remark, I would have to agree with a previous reviewer (to some degree) that the regulars are welcomed with plenty of enthusiasm and friendly banter, but those that are not part of the Harv’s clic are treated in a manner that borders somewhere between bare politeness and indifference.

• Visited January 2014
Summerstown
“Earplugs a Must & Beneficial To Be a Regular!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

A few years ago, I visited this diner several times for breakfast. I must say, up front, they do serve a satisfactory breakfast. However, I changed to another location for the reasons of which I am about to outline. On each and every visit, it was not hard to notice that "regulars" get special and very attentive treatment while not so frequent customers seem to be not completely ignored (but almost) and there is an air of "coolness" from the waitress. You almost get the impression that you are not wanted in their restaurant. The straw that broke the camel's back was an incident on my last visit in which my husband accompanied me. Upon entering the restaurant (one seat's themselves), the waitress approached our table with not so much as a greeting of Good Morning, Hello or any such thing. She simply came and stood at our table with her note pad and, after hardly giving us time to browse the menu, she simply took our order. Her only words to us were: "what can I get you"? After that, our order was promptly brought and plopped on the table in front of us, with not a word being ever being spoken to us. Meanwhile as other patrons arrived, most of them being regulars, greetings were all abound with laughter and big discussions taking place. To me, this is downright rude, ignorant and unacceptable behaviour by any server. As mentioned above, this has always been our experience at Harv's Diner and nothing less. It should also be noted that I have read this on other blogs about this same treatment to "non regulars." It is not a nice feeling and it is no dam way to welcome someone into your restaurant!

As well, the whole time that we were eating our breakfast, this waitress commenced to clear tables all around us with such a crash, boom, bang noise that was indeed something to behold. We both agreed that we have never heard such a racket in any restaurant that we have ever dined in. There is a way to take glasses, cups, saucers and cutlery off a table and yes, there will be some clatter but not the way she was handling these dishes. We instinctively got the impression that it was being done on purpose. So, as the heading states, unless you don't mind eating in a very noisy environment, earplugs are a must! It'll help you get through your breakfast without a good case of indigestion. Also to be noted here is the fact that Harv's Diner has kept their waitresses for many years and, having recognized this same waitress from previous visits, I do know that she was not a new employee. On a more laughable note, perhaps she was doing this because she really, really had a deep need to be noticed? Very pitiful.

In passing, I can hereby state that this treatment has absolutely nothing to do with any previous tipping or anything of that nature as we always leave 20% and my husband has even left more on many occasions. As a result of this waitress' attitude, she pushed us right out the door. My husband and I will never return to Harv's Diner and we classify the service by this restaurant as terrible!

If any visitor to Cornwall or any new resident is looking for a restaurant that serves a delicious breakfast as well as a delicious lunch, go to Sunnyside on Pitt Street. where you will be properly served. From the moment, you enter, you are greeted warmly and always with a smile. Your meal will be served promptly by a waitress who is pleased to be of service to you. And yes, you may hear dishes and cutlery being removed from a table but in a normal fashion and definitely not the way it is done at Harv's Diner.

In closing, the most positive thing with Sunnyside, and I am sure other breakfast places in Cornwall, is that you can leave your earplugs at home!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Lindsey T
Mississauga Ontario
“exactly what we were looking for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

on our way to the via trail station on a cold winter morning........excellent service, excellent menu, excellent breakfast. found this place well rated on TA and glad we tried it out. definitely a favorite with locals, but we were also well taken care of. will visit again on our next trip to cornwall.

• Visited December 2013