“Does Anyone Like the Smell of Javex When Eating Their Fish?”

Ye Olde English Fish & Chip
Ranked #26 of 168 Restaurants in Cornwall
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This restaurant opened up about fifteen years ago and first started out serving actual and real English style fish and chips whose batter was thick, very raised and delicious. They now serve a very average tasting, and a very thin, crispy type batter which is probably water based. We make fish and chips at home, so we do know the difference. We also have both had "real" British style fish and chips in England itself. At this restaurant, my husband and I have had the cod, haddock and halibut many times but really wish that the original recipe had not changed. As well, the chips used to be freshly cut right on the spot by the owner and now they are brought in. We guess that they are frozen as the taste is not the same. The tiny coleslaw container that is served is very chintzy and should be bigger. Also, sometimes the coleslaw is creamy, sometimes it is vinegar based and sometimes, it simply has no dressing on it at all (could someone have forgotten) so one must add vinegar to at least have some taste. For a bill of over $35.00, this meal should also include a bun or roll.

We have also had what they refer to as "oven roasted" turkey. Unfortunately, the turkey that is served has never seen the inside of their oven and is probably purchased at Costco. It is a turkey breast which is kept warm under heated lights. If you love your Mom's roasted turkey dinner, do not order this or you will be terribly disappointed. It is completely tasteless and I believe from a frozen state.

I am actually shocked at one reader's description of what was referred to as "phenomenal" pies (dessert). Each to his own, but I must admit that we had a good laugh over this comment as we found them to be the worst pies that we have ever tasted (we both bake, too). All contain canned pie filling (no great labor there) so I do not really call this homemade. I have tried all of the different pies that are offered so I feel that my comment is justified. The problem is that the pastry is just awful. It is simply not cooked and each and every time, we both say the same thing...soggy, uncooked pastry. So, in effect, that comment is a mystery to us. Maybe we are not talking about the same establishment?

Another thing that could put some readers off is the condition of the plastic place mats. The fact that they are plastic does not bother me one bit but they are grungy and sticky. Perhaps, someone should inform the owners that it is time for a change and, as well, across the street at Cornwall Square, one can buy plastic place mats for only $1.00 - so buy some new place mats!

Lastly, on several occasions, we have detected a strong odor of javex. Surprisingly, we cannot figure out where it is coming from - definitely not the floors as I do not think that they are ever washed. But in all honesty, who wants to smell javex when eating a meal? I am also now left wondering if one of the previous comments in reference to the hairs in their fish takeout order is warranted.

There are newer reviews for Ye Olde English Fish & Chip

Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

Had the take out. The cod was great and although I shared a three piece Fish and Chips...it was too much food. Large portions.

The only negative was the first hair that I found in the fish batter. It happens...I can live with that. Then I fish out (pardon the pun) the second hair, then the third. Out of 6 people, I was the only one that noticed.

I would recommend the take out, if they use hairnets from now on.

1  Thank netwark
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Other reviewers have it right - the interior of Ye Olde English Fish & Chip is enough to make many less staunch diners turn and run. All the more for those of us smart enough to take a chance on this hole-in-the-wall joint. The inconspicuous white clapboard exterior hides more than a dated and minimally decorated dining area - it hides a true labor of love.

We were greeted by the owner and her team, who briefly stopped preparing food to show us to a table and take our order. The menu at Ye Olde English Fish & Chip is equally minimal - you'll find several kinds of fish to choose from, and have a choice how many filets you'd like to take on. (There are a couple of other entrees to choose from, though we paid them scant attention.)

Fixed up in short order, our plates were heaping with freshly fried haddock. Two filets were more than I could finish, though my husband relished the three he finished. The chips were equally well done, and equally fresh. There's no mistaking the quality of the signature dish here, and the owner took obvious pride as we quickly ate.

I was stuffed to the gills, but couldn't contain my curiosity about what desserts were available. When the owner ticked off no fewer than five different pies, all of which are homemade, I simply had to buy some for take away to be enjoyed back in our hotel. The pumpkin and blueberry pies were heavenly, and the raisin pie was a special treat.

Don't read a book by its cover. We heartily endorse Ye Olde English Fish & Chip, and will be dreaming of the quality food we had there for years to come.

3  Thank Qlever
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Went there for fish and chips. Came back for the Sunday dinner. The frozen takeout Brit food is superb. You have to be fond of British cuisine ,steak and kidney may not appeal to everyone. The place is small, clean crowded and hidden behind the Cornwall Square Mall. Did I mention easy on the wallet.

1  Thank Servico
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Fish & Chips made to the Mother Land secrects. Excellent service, food well prepared. Cost is cheap yet well portioned value. Would go back when I want a great tasting fish n chips

1  Thank Debra_LynnB_12