“Another week in paradise!!”

Walnut Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
Brussels, Belgium
“Another week in paradise!!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I just spent 5 days in the wonderful Walnut Beach Resort, for the second consecutive year, and had another excellent stay. The rooms are top notch, the view from the pool area is spectacular, the food and wine were awesome, and the staff was friendly, courteous, and always happy to help with any of our needs. Manager Don Brogan and the front desk staff were amazing as always. Overall, it was a fantastic stay- perfect for couples, groups, or teams who want to experience the very best of the South Okanagan experience.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Walnut Beach provides you everything you want in your stay in Osoyoos. It's location along the lake is as good as it gets with a pool facing the water and spa and gym facilities available for use 24/7. On top of it being a beautiful resort, Don Brogan and his staff are some of the best I've ever had in a stay at my hotel. Always friendly and always ready to give a hand. There was an evening where I had to switch rooms and I was out the whole day and when I had gotten back, the staff had already helped me pack and move all my stuff for me to my new room. For anyone planning on taking their vacation/getaway to Osoyoos, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the lake
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We are touring British Columbia and Alberta. We stayed at this resort for two nights. I had a different impression of what a resort was but it seems to be a bit of a hotel with some self catering through in. Unfortunately, we just wanted a good hotel. Maybe one day Osoyoos will offer a good hotel.
The staff were friendly enough but they could do so much more with a bit more training. The reception area is inadequate and there is not enough space. The rooms are big enough, clean but we were next to reception and therefore we could hear most conversations.
I was disappointed with the restaurant. The choice of up scale BBQ was just not good enough. The wine was very expensive and not that good. Fortunately the waitress was a pleasant young lady. The chairs were not comfortable for eating. It is okay if you are relaxing but if you are having a meal you want to sit up straight. Most diners could have come straight from the swimming pool and therefore the atmosphere was wanting.
Nice location, great views but too expensive for what it is. I am still trying to sort out what you did for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked a two bedroom as we were two couples travelling together. The Location was good and away from the busy main beach area, which we were happy about. Although the beach was very small, it was ok. The water was warm enough to swim in and for the most part, not too noisy. The noise came from the jet skis and motor boats using the harbour which was a little annoying at times but not a deterrent. The room itself was huge, clean and perfect for us. Even at a washer/dryer and fully serviced kitchen. We had quiet views of the water behind the hotel which was really great. The service on the other hand leaves much to be desired. I called three different times regarding room availability and got three totally different descriptions of the room we needed to book. I was first told the one bedroom with a den and pull out only had one bathroom. The second person told me the same thing. The third person I spoke to when I was ready to book told me that they all had 2 bathrooms. But by that time, I had to book the more expensive room because the den room was taken. Check in was slow as rooms are not ready until 4pm and check out is 10am next morning. Not impressed with the timing since you are paying between $350 and $500 per night for such a late check in time and they are booting you out at 10am. Big negative and they would not allow for late check out. Not impressed.

Wifi was a joke so don't stay here if you're on business and depend on it. It was hit and miss. We never ate at the hotel because of the prices so can't comment on food. There is a fantastic place in town called JoJos Cafe. Inexpensive, homemade breakfast in a comfy coffee house. Big thumbs up to that.

Although we had a good time because we were with friends, overall it was a good experience but this hotel would do better if they get their staff some professional white glove training.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rivergirl1
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Its a nice place with a great pool, situated on a wonderful lake, with magnificent views. We enjoyed our stay. But for $400 a night, I expected a bit more - i.e. air conditioning that didn't make weird noises, garbage cans big enough to hold a day's worth of garbage, coffee filters that actually fit the coffee machine, an adequate supply of lounge chairs at the pool and on the beach. I know my complaints are minor, but for what we paid I was expecting more. Maybe I'm just too picky . . .

Room Tip: Spend the extra $ for a lakefront view!!
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Castlegar, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

This is our third stay and I think the best value for the location. I have styled both a Spirit Ridge and the WaterMark. Spirit ridge was nice but you really are no where near the water except for the pool. The Water mark from our experience was even thou newer was poorly maintained. My only negative comment would be that it needs the exterior decks refurbished and a bit of an spruce up in the common areas.

• Stayed July 2013
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I would agree with other reviews that WBR is family oriented for the peak months. We had two families and each stayed in a two bedroom suite. We stayed for 6 days, so got to experience pretty much everything (apart from the restaurant).
We booked our rooms 8 weeks in advance and had booked two "Lakeview" rooms. When we checked in, one of the rooms was facing the pool. The young staff at the front desk argued that this was still Lakeview on their rental charts. It was more like "Lake Glimpses" as you could just about see the lake looking sideways out of one window. Nevertheless, they stated that they were booked solid and couldn't change the room. As consolation, a bottle of Okanagan Vineyards wine showed up in the "Pool view" room the next day (btw the sentiment was in the right place, but the wine wasn't very good). We never did meet the "Manager".
The staff:
The cleaning staff were awesome and tackled each room with a team of four to minimize interruptions. No complaints with the cleaning staff.
The reception staff were young (20's?) and generally pleasant but not empowered to be helpful.
The maintenance staff seemed to be one gentleman in his early 50's running around with a harried look being followed by a 20 something without much direction... I will get to the maintenance issues in a bit.
Bartending staff was good in the hotel bar but one bartender at the beach bar was utterly lost. He took 45 minutes to make 6 drinks (2 pina coladas, 2 margeritas, 2 bellinis). Since all of these drinks only require adding shaved ice and booze to a pre-made syrup, I have no idea what his major malfunction was. The least he could have done was give us a free drink. Oh wait, he was also too young to take any sort of initiative... (I think there is a theme here).
Things that were good:
Pool and beach were amazing. BBQ's were a great plus for preparing your own food. Rooms were clean and well stocked with dishes, etc. Weather was hot. There was a huge floating mat that the beach rental place rented for $10 an hour that was simply the highlight of my kids experience there (apart from an hour rental of a Sea-doo which was also scary fun).
Things that could be changed for the better:
The door leading to the pool was not easily found and really should have a window in it to avoid collisions (reduce your liability!). The door handle was also broken. The steam room was also out of commission and I was witness to an amazing feat of maintenance when taking my boy into the men's washroom... Two maintenance people in a washroom stall with water pouring out of the drywall ceiling hole for a pot light. I suggested that they must have a shutoff somewhere nearby for the washroom water but they said there was none. It was like watching a car wreck. I hurriedly got my little guy out of there and hoped that nobody got electrocuted (which I think they somehow avoided).
The door into the parkade has a heavy closer which makes wheeling a cart in and out a real pain. When we were leaving, a part of the door panic hardware came off. I found that it had one broken screw and the other was replaced with the wrong type of faster (sheet metal screw instead of machine screw). I wouldn't have noticed but my cart knocked it off when I was struggling to get through the door. I then noticed that the door must have original had a flip-down door hold-open but it was no longer there (the screw holes were though). If this door needs to stay closed for fire/smoke reasons, then add a handicap door opener (wait a minute, shouldn't it already have one to be code compliant?!)
The black concrete around the pool is waaaay too slippery. Grind it down to add more texture (and limit your liability!). My kids wiped out a couple of times and they weren't running.
The beds in the rooms are comfy but the bed frames stick out underneath and are killer shin-bashers. Every member of my family smashed into them at some point in our stay (twice for me).
There is no in-room recycling box or bag. This is 2013 isn't it? Be a good corporate citizen and add that under the sink. The cleaning staff can then attend to it every day. We put our recyclables in a paper bag that the cleaning staff took out, but I'm not convinced that it went anywhere other than into the garbage. I state this because I happened by the staff in the hallway and while throwing a small bag of garbage in their large garbage bin, I noticed a number of pop cans in the same bin.
Small grumbles:
Free wifi = you get what you pay for (it was so poor, we couldn't even send emails).
Drinks were paid put on our room # from the beach but a tip was left for the bartender (not sure why for a 45 minute wait). When we reviewed our bill, they automatically added gratuity to the bar bill! Grrr!!!!! A tip should be a choice, not a right.
Enough grumbling. The kids loved it and we will be saving up to come back likely next year. I just hope that somehow the "Management" starts picking up what I am putting down and makes changes to their maintenance program and make a good hotel even better.

Room Tip: The hotel is shaped like a U. Look for rooms on the outside of the U near the southwest end.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family