“excellent food and staff!”

Walnut Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
Canada
“excellent food and staff!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

we recently stayed 3 nights at the resort and I have to start by saying how great all the staff are. the pool was closed the first day we were there but opened for the next 2. over our 3 days we rented sea doos and paddle boards (which we have done before) and the prices of the rentals were super reasonable. but there were a couple downsides one was they was no where to get breakfast either on site or within walking distance but the restaurant they had there was sooooooo amazing! best food I have ever had! so that made up for it. the other down side was the beach bar wasn't open at all which was one of the main things we liked about the resort. but overall great stay!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Van City
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was our first time staying here. We were celebrating our anniversary and my birthday. My hubby and I have mixed opinions about our stay.

Pros:
- Private beach on the lake
- Friendly/thoughtful staff (Thank You to Don & his staff for the wine!)
- Decent size room & balcony with view of mountain & lake
- Licensed bar on the beach

Cons:
- Not cheap (this applies to room rates & restaurant)
- Lots of overgrown weeds & dry grass on our side of hotel - where are the gardeners/landscapers?
- Lack of security: no in room safe, pool & beach can be easily accessible by non hotel guests (ie. people docking their boats, promenade wine bar diners, unlocked gates to pool & parkade)
- Is the massage room the spa or is there really a spa?
- No shade in BBQ area (very uncomfortable grilling food in hot weather)
- Need aqua socks for the lake (unless you don't mind all the rocks, seaweed, & hot sand)
- Slow wait staff in restaurant & poolside
- Warm, murky pool
- Lack of lounge chairs at beach

Overall, I think our stay was decent. Most of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful except for the Nazi restaurant server who commented that we shouldn't cut through the restaurant to get to the pool (my bad but we only did it b/c we saw a bunch of others do it. I don't know if it was racial profiling or the fact that it was my hubby & I but he didn't make a peep when a few girls did the same thing. Look buddy, stop macking on girls young enough to be your daughter and do your job). My biggest complaint would be that the pool was closed on the last day of our stay. I don't understand why there weren't more loungers on the beach if the pool will be closed for an entire day.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LB500
Walnuts66, General Manager at Walnut Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and your review of our resort. Our rates in the summertime are very competitive compared to the similar styled resorts here in Osoyoos. You will find us priced right along side of Spirit Ridge and Watermark when you compare apples to apples.

The north shore and south shore of our property have, since the development of the resort, been designated as riparian land and we must leave it in its natural state. We must cordon it off with fencing and not allow anyone access to it. The benefit of this was the creation of our private beach when public access is usually a legal issue. You can see the contrast of our manicured landscaping around the resort differs from the two fenced off riparian tracts on our south and north shore.

The entire property is fenced and the only way onto the beach is through the resort or off the lake using the dock. As our restaurant is open to the public and we have two separate businesses operating off the dock and beach we are required by the town of Osoyoos to keep our parkade door open during the business hours of the dock businesses and our wine bar to allow for patron parking. That is why the parkade door is open from 7:30am to 10:30 pm daily and closed at night. We do not have in room safes but we do have safety deposit boxes behind the front desk available for guests that need the extra security.

We have a spa practitioner that operates her services out of the Massage room in the corridor to the pool deck and beach. It is not a full service spa but she does offer a number of services.

The beach is very sandy and fresh sand was added this year but under the water surface in the lake, there is a gravel bottom.

We did have a couple of issues back to back with the pool but they have been rectified within 48 hours and the pool is back to being crystal clear and very inviting.

As far as number of loungers on the pool and the beach, we have 52 on the pool deck and 50 on the beach.
Qualicum Beach, British Columbia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The amenities at the hotel were very good. The room was clean and very comfortable. When we had difficulty with the television the service was right away. The rooms are a little pricey but worth the cost!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Delta
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our second stay proved to be more enjoyable than the first because we stayed for an entire week. Everything was great although the young people at the reception desk lacked the maturity to really welcome guests in a sincere way. Housekeeping and cleanliness were superb, as was the food.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Vancouver
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at walnut beach from July 6-11 with several other families. At first I was really impressed with the resort. The views were beautiful and we loved the convenience of the outdoor bbqs. I felt really safe and comfortable at the hotel. The feeling went away when I realized that my wedding rings had gone missing while I was staying there. We dressed up to go out for dinner Tuesday night, so I had my rings on. When I came back to the room I took the rings off and placed them in the ensuite bathroom in the little tray next to the sink. For the rest of the trip I never put my rings on again because we were either by the pool or boating and I thought it would be safer to leave them in the room. Boy was I wrong! We checked out on the Friday and on our way home I realized that I didn't remember packing my rings. As soon as I got home I called the hotel to see if I had left them behind so the girl at the front desk went up and checked the room but didn't see them there. She told me she would have the housekeeping manager, Joanne, call me the next day but she didn't. I ended up having to track her down after a couple of calls and all she could tell me was that the rings had not been found or turned in. She didn't seem really sympathetic and wouldn't even consider the possibility that anyone on staff could have taken them. I was devastated. I called and filed a report with the police but there wasn't much they could do.
The hotel security is very questionable. There were no safes in the room that I could find, the gate to the underground garage was always open, and apparently if you leave your room key in the front door and hold down the handle for 3 seconds the whole locking system resets and the door is no longer locked.
Based on this experience, me and my friends would never stay at this hotel again!

Stayed July 2014
Very sorry about your missing wedding rings. Our housekeeping did not find your rings in your suite and upon questioning the two housekeepers that serviced your room over your stay and the the Housekeeping Manager, Joanne, they confirmed that they did not see your rings in your suite. The two housekeepers were the only staff members in your suite during your stay and after reading the lock events from your front door lock, we see that only your room keys, the head housekeeper and the two housekeepers were the ones to enter your suite. I understand how upsetting it is to lose a very special piece of jewelry like a wedding set (it happened to my Mother when I was a child and it happened to my wife as an adult), it is impossible to replace due to the sentimental value, not the monetary value. We will keep an eye out in the laundry and around the resort for the rings but at this point, no one from our staff has seen them and the attendants responsible for your suite services swear they know nothing of them.
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I had a horrible experience over the weekend here. I am the type of person that will not complain as this is my first time writing this but the service and experience was so poor I had to do this.

My bar pool service was 45 minutes plus per drink that I Had to finally get up and get myself, I had sand in my bed, I had to send back a flat pop only to never receive another one, and in the end the GM Don's solutions was a discount if I spend money there and When I said that was not acceptable he advised me to stay somewhere else. This level of service was carried down by his entire staff as not once was I compensated for my experiences even though I'm paying 320+ a night for this place.

Never stay there again, even after I suggested to Don some good customer service is well worth my 320$ a night i'm being charged for a dirty bed and horrible service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dimitri P
Walnuts66, General Manager at Walnut Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
On the day that you stayed we had a large wedding group in and the ceremony was happening on the beach at 11:30 in the morning. There was a delay in the ceremony that caused all the wedding guests down on the beach to make their way to the wine bar on the pool deck to get refreshments while they were delayed. This caused an unexpected rush at the wine bar at the moment it opened at 11:30 with about 50 people waiting to be served. This was not a planned situation and we only had our normal wine bar staff on for the day not any banquet staff as this wedding was ceremony only, not reception. This caused the delay in service on the pool deck at the time you were there and I did apologize for that. As for the issue with your bed in your suite, we would have re-made the bed within minutes with fresh sheets if you had requested or let us know when you were here that you were not satisfied with your suite. I am truly sorry that you did not have a great experience here at the resort and I did and still do offer to ensure your next stay here would be better and at the best discounted rate available.
Kamloops
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Lovely resort. Great place if you have a boat and need
a secure dock. Staff is wonderful and very accomodating.The
resort is beautiful and the pool well maintained and fun for the
kids.We love this resort and our family has made it an annual holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family