“DEFINITELY NOT ALL ROOMS ARE EQUAL”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Osoyoos
Village on the Lake
Reviewed 25 September 2013

As an owner of a unit at Village on the Lake I am aware of the differences between units. Most owners take pride in their units and those units are well stocked with supplies and very clean. It would be helpful to all when a guest has an unhappy experience at Village on the Lake that they NAME THE UNIT NUMBER. That way you would help to prevent another guest having the same unpleasant experience and the review would not negatively impact those owners who take great care with their units.
When looking to book at Village on the Lake most owners list their unit on vrbo.com. That site shows pictures of the unit and also reviews from previous guests. You would then know exactly what you are getting.

Room Tip: Rent privately from an owner.
Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank 43Maggie2013

Reviewed 12 August 2013

A very unhappy experience at the Village on the Lake!

I am always very cautious of making a reservation and then being told that 30 days prior to arriving that the full amount would be charged with no refunds allowed...I should know better!
When we first arrived the unit was absolutely filthy and 100% not acceptable for guests arriving to stay for a week. We spent $100 on cleaning supplies and 3 hrs to begin our vacation just to make the space comfortable enough to live in for the night without feeling grossed out.
When we complained to the " manager " about the issues we were given a tale of how the prior guests had trashed the place and they didn't have time to clean. If that is the case...which I doubt, then leave a note or give us a call letting us know before walking inside and being shocked by the filth. We were compensated for our troubles of cleaning and being unsatisfied with a $100 rebate and the repayment of the cleaning supplies we bought. I was also given my damage deposit of $200 given back though after being there I am not sure what that is for in the first place!!
Never before have I been to an direct owned accomadation where I had to not only buy cleaning supplies, but...mixing bowls, glasses, and other basic kitchen needs. What untensils were available looked as if they were from the early 80's and we washed in the dishwasher every plate,glass, coffee mug and untensil prior to eating. We went as far as buying our own paper plates to eat from as we were scared to use what was there even after washing.
For a 3 bedroom unit the space itself was very good, just not cared for and furniture that was mismatched and old. The beds were not comfy and the bedding and cover were ancient.
When you turned on the lights in the kitchen and dining area you could see the mass accumalation of dead bugs inside the fixtures...here is a hint, trying cleaning those out!!!!

All in all we made the best of the trip as you are in Osoyoos and the weather and lake are always fantastic!

Pros:

Pool was decent, almost all pools built in Osoyoos over the last 10 years are of the shallow variety so that didnt bother us.
Lake was right across the street and we enjoyed the dock as opposed to a sandy beach but if you had very small children I can see that being a negative
boat dock available which is a very nice feature.
beautiful grounds - why not continue this standard in the rooms!!!!

Cons:

Filthy
outdated
not cared for
too expensive for what you recieve
awful, terrible management
seems to have no standard room to room
had to pay for Wifi - even the worst hotels in Osoyoos offer that!
dirty BBQ - again had to scrub clean prior to use
broken furniture and appliances

the list can go on and on...but for $298/night I find this to be the biggest ripoff in Osoyoos

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank redwoodsbay
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My "average" rating takes into account several separate units we rented as part of a group. Not all units were equal in any way. While our unit (#307) was mediocre at best, some of the other were quite nicely furnished and equipped. We later learned that most are individually owned and managed by different entities.

We found our unit tidied up but it had not appeared to have been cleaned recently. I cleaned the floors, counters and bath myself. The linen situation was almost comical with one towel per person in our unit (4) even though it was said to slept a minimum of 6. This was it for the week. Housewares looked to be random, without a full set of any glassware or plates, yet we had two sets of silverware.

The pool was nice but no shade. The dock is across a small two lane side street but visible from most of the units.

Room Tip: Ask questions about the specific unit you are renting. Not all units are equal or furnished the same...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2013

we stayed at 103 townhouse at village on the lake.
the place was dirty, dirty dirty...
floors not washed.... coffee pot not cleaned mould in the coffee pot. pots and pans
not washed.. the bbq had not been cleaned after someone used it .. patio furniture had to be
washed and scrubbed as layers of grime and dirt on it...stains on the rug... the beds were terrible.. could feel every spring in the mattress....had to complain to get clean bedding and towels we washed... the staircase outside were not lit up so at night you would have to feel your way up to your door...hot tub cold.... as the swimming pool
In other words this place is a disaster....

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank marleen t
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We stayed at Village on the Lake this past weekend for Oliver 1/2 Ironman. We chose the place because it had 3 bedrooms and there were 6 of us traveling. The pictures looked good, so we booked it although i had reservations doing so since once booked, we couldn't cancel the room.

I tried numerous times to get information from Sid, the property manager, prior to our arrival and only received a confirmation letter at the very beginning. It seemed I was bothering him when I phoned which was only twice, once to make sure he had received our request and a second time to find out what we were supposed to do once there (procedures etc..).

The phone number provided on the website didn’t work. I figured it out by looking at my confirmation; there was a number that worked. (that same wrong number is also on the sheet provided in the information package we received at the Holiday Inn when we checked in).

The key situation was a gong show. The fact that Sid did not even know which unit was assigned to us made me nervous. If I didn’t ask for a parking ticket to put on my vehicle, it wasn’t on the package he left for us with the Holiday Inn. The keys we were given didn’t work and we had to go back which made us very late for our dinner reservation. We were already a bit tight on time thankfully the restaurant was extremely accommodating and were able to take us later on.

The bed I slept on had no mattress cover and it was terribly stained and yellow. The bedding is atrocious; old, thin, everything felt dirty.
The other bedrooms were not much better but at least had a sleeping pad. (we took pictures)
The bathroom was less then clean when we arrived, hair left in the sink from the previous guests.

The kitchen was a nice size, that was a good aspect of the suite.

We were asked on the information sheet provided to fill the dish washer and start before leaving. There was no soap provided to do so.

There was no recycling garbage bags (the clear ones) but we made it work with what we brought with us.

There were no instruction or map on where to find our room either; we did, but it is such a nice touch when a complex with that many rooms offers a map of the place where the amenities are and the room numbers.

All this combined left all of us less than impressed. I own accommodation in Nakusp and there is no way we would supply such poor service.

As I said above, stay at the Holiday Inn - right by the water, friendly and accommodating staff, and I am sure a lot cleaner than what we had to deal with.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 948Marie
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This property is average among the list of options in osoyoos with a higher price tag. The property was well enough until the manager came to our room the first morning and accused us of going in the hot tub after hours. We never went in either the pool or the hot tub our entire stay. Not only were we offended by the accusations but how she came at us over something so minor. We were never given an apology after we defended ourselves and can't believe these people are in a hospitality position. This experienced not only ruined our long weekend stay but after discussing our conflict with other guests we uncovered many more disappointing encounters. Do not stay here as long as this duo are managing the property.

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Dguchi
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Although the condo itself was very nice the Condo was not clean. There were large stains it the carpets in both large bedrooms. The white bathroom towels had stains all over them. Some towels were so dirty they weren't even white anymore. There were bodily fluid stains on the white sheets in the Master bedroom (gross) and we had to wash every dish in the Condo before we could use them. I brought all this to the attention of the owner and he said his cleaner was out of town and that I should just be positive and enjoy my stay. :( I asked for my cleaning fee back because I had to purchase new bedsheets, towels, and kitchen cloths so I could enjoy my stay. Never heard from the owner again. You be the judge...
Property/Unit