“Never again”

Sahara Courtyard Inn
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I read many reviews before my stay this past weekend, most seemed ok so I was hopeful! Turns out, all was not great. The courtyard has been redone & is very nice! The rooms are a different story :(

We had 2 rooms, which were very old & out dated. That was not the problem - what I could not deal with was 7 spiders living in various spots all over the room. 5 of them were in the bathroom alone! A bonus is that at least the sheets were clean, from what I could see anyway.

The biggest issue I had, & someone should let the owners know - when you change a room from smoking to non-smoking.....you need to do more than just slap a non-smoking sticker on the door!!! The room stunk of heavy smoke. The carpet, bed & all pillows.....literally everything in the room was saturated & was disgusting. I tried not to move all night, because every time I did I released the stench form the pillow! A slight smoke smell would not have bothered me, but this was much more than a slight smell! We joked about sleeping in the courtyard on a lounge chair....sadly we probably should have, at least I would have slept & wouldn't have to worry about getting cancer from second hand smoke!

Not a great stay, do not recommend unless there are no other rooms available.

Room Tip: Ask to see it before you check in, that way you can smell it first!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chukie_24

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed there from Monday to Friday in early July. Our room was modest but seemed to have been recently renovated. It was very clean and inviting. We had a full kitchen which was full functional with a good selection of pots, plates and cutlery. The courtyard was what really sealed the deal. Every room had their own patio table and everyone seemed to use them for dinners. Great bbq pit area with good quality Weber bbq's nice grassy areas and the kids loved to pool. Great place for large groups or family reunions. We are looking at getting a big group of friends and heading back next summer. Great time and great value.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Dennis B
Reviewed 4 August 2014

On the plus side the location is great- really close to the lake. It also has a nice courtyard area with a fair bit of seating and a pool.

On the negative side the customer service was non existent. From missing basic manners to having another conversation while I was on the phone trying to talk to them and book a room, the managment was horrible. Normally I wouldn't have followed through with staying there but it was the only place in town to have an open spot on the long weekend.

The price came to just under $300 including tax for one queen size bed room, I thought it was pricey for what it was.The washroom walls were dirty, the paint was chipped and they had the tv on top of the fridge hanging over the sides. It just really didn't come across like they cared too much and didn't take very much pride in the building or what they were offering to their guests.

If it's your last option then I'd say take it, osoyoos is a beautiful place to stay. But i'd imagine there are much better places for value and friendliness.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Twofeetasleep
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Vacationed here with my wife and three kids and booked a kitchen suite. Cancelled after the first day and booked the holiday inn for cheaper.
- Room not renovated as indicated.
- Kitchen suite not stocked with cookery.
- Bathroom was not clean.
- Occupants next door parked in our space and owners did bother themselves with this issue.
- Bathroom with large cobwebs. No one obviously cleaning.
- Owners let their teenage daughters run the check in, who cannot be bothered with guest concerns.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Misty3108
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Some of the worst service ever! They gave us a room where the key did not work in the front door or sliding glass door, could not get into the room period. Asked the staff to help, they used a master key on the rear sliding glass door to get in and open the front door from inside. They made no attempt to fix the door. The door knob on the front door would not even turn. We wanted to go out to eat so I talked to the front desk, they said they would fix the door while we were away and locked the sliding glass door with their master key.

When we returned it was obvious they had done nothing and handed the same keys back to us to use yet they only attempted to open the sliding glass door with the hotel master key again except even it wasn't working and for a while we were completely locked out of our room!!! Then she made me try and open the front door again with the same keys that didn't work the first time. Of course she knew full well they wouldn't work and then went to find a different master key for the sliding glass door which managed to open it. Never once did they apologize for the inconvenience, give us a different room, or anything. Treated us like we were a nuisance. Probably the worst service possible and I will never stay at this place ever again!!! Would rather sleep in my car.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 10!!! In fact, just don't stay at this motel!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Dwayne_0419
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was optimistic on the positive reviews of this place, but sadly, that is not the case. Rating it a 2 is the most optimistic I can be. If you saw the movie I referenced above...you'll understand!! The room was clean. But that's where it ends. The toilet ran.., the shower 'squealed', some loose handle, I guess. No alarm clock, no microwave or kettle(it was a kitchenette!), no kleenex, 2 mismatched wine glasses (in the heart of wine country), and the courtyard behind the office looked like the local dump were just a few of the glaring faults. Seriously tried to overlook and see the best, but would never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jasygirl
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Sahara courtyard inn while working in osoyoos, we have stayed previously. I must say that the courtyard looks fabulous all the new paving stones, tables, and grassy areas makes the courtyard so much more inviting. While we were there rooms were under renovations and they are looking fabulous. I can't wait to see the finished suites. Things to note are the friendly staff and fabulous owners. The Internet is fast the rooms are large and very comfortable, all the rooms open up into the private courtyard with pool, BBQ and lounging areas. The Sahara is close to the beach ,and close to all amenities.

We would like to thank Gary , Suhki and family for having us at your fabulous inn

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business