“Watermark Beach Resort was amazing!!!!”

Watermark Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We recently stayed at Watermark Beach Resort in Osoyoos BC and were blown away by the experience! Our suite was right on the beach with every ammenity we could ask for. We spent our days on the beach or in the pool...and a lot of time at the Wine Bar!!

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful...they genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay. we even had poolside pedicures on our last day (highly recommended)

Everything we needed from groceries, liquor, clothing, even lake toys was located within a block of the resort so we could walk for anything we required.

Amazing venue for a wedding as well...we watched a ceremony on the beach and they did a beautiful job

We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
PScanlon, Manager at Watermark Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

My thanks to you for your posting. It is particularly pleasing to read your words of praise for our staff here at the Resort. Hopefully your travels bring you back down from Kelowna again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

This was simply excellent. I've got three complaints which I'll mention below, so it wasn't perfect, but I've never known anyone to come closer at this price-point.

We had a two-bedroom suite situated over the pool, with a stunning view of the lake and the mountains across the way. Large (opening) windows, quality blinds, and a good-sized balcony with table and chairs for six. Few shortcuts were taken in this room. Granite and tile, quality appliances and fittings, all high-end and well-detailed. The bathrooms (2!) were huge and the construction tight. The staff here, without exception, were enthusiastic and cheerful. Special requests were accommodated quickly and smilingly. Everybody seemed to enjoy their job, from the front desk to the maintenance man to the cleaning crew. I was blown away by the radiating good cheer from everyone -- seeming genuine, not a professional facade. These people like this place, they are proud of what they offer, and they want to share it with you.

The hotel is family-friendly and pet-friendly. That means there are lots of happily-shouting children running about, and elevator rides shared with dogs and their owners. The pool area can get loud. This is not a negative for me, it's a happy sound. And the staff is good about shutting the pool down at 10; things got quiet quickly after. Osoyoos is not a large place, and much that it has to offer is just a short walk up the street from the hotel. We didn't even sample the hotel restaurant or wine bar, so I can't comment on that. There are good cafes and restaurants within walking distance, and several more a short drive away.

I mentioned that I do have three complaints:
1) Control the dogs. We're a dog family, and enjoy being able to travel with ours, so we really like the pet-friendly atmosphere. But too often a guest would allow their pet to be off-leash, even in the lobby, and this is fool-hardy no matter how well-behaved the animal is. It creates fear, and it opens the owner to significant trouble.
2) Where's the in-room safe? At this price point and quality, it's unheard of that we can't lockup the laptops and other small items in a safe when we leave the room.
3) Elevators are too busy, too slow.

That's it. Almost perfect. We'll be back soon.

2  Thank TJRBC

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I am very pleased that you had a great time whilst on vacation. This is the second posting in regards to off-leash pets and one that I will for sure follow-up on with regards to training and better communication with our pet owning guests. The Elevators are also being looked into as it would be great for everyone ( guests and staff ) if they could be sped up. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2010

We attended a wedding at the Resort and took 4 days to enjoy a mini holiday and it was FABULOUS! We have a 1 year old and the resort was perfect for her. There was the pool, which was packed with children and a great place for her to play, there was the beach and a lot of boats and activities going on to entertain her, there was good shopping and a great gelato place that she loved. Staff were very friendly and supported our needs. We were lucky enough to get a wheelchair accessible room which was great for the little one moving around. A bunch of us are already planning on going back next year, the only thing we'll change is maybe stay in the townhouses and definately stay for longer!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for this posting and I am very pleased you and your family had a wonderful time at the Resort. The wedding you attended was fantastic and I am glad you were also able to combine it with a little family vacation. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 August 2010

I have stayed at many resorts within the Okanagan area and this one far exceeded my expectations. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous.The rooms were beautiful and spacious. My only problem was that I couldn't get the kids away from the waterslide and pool. All in all it was a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your kind words about our Resort and most importantly our Staff. Both are tremendous assets and very much make for a great holiday. Hopefully you are able to get away again soon and I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

My husband and I arrived here yesterday and our first impression was that it would be an amazing 5 days. The resort is beautiful, the rooms are clean and modern, the pool is awesome and the beach is beautiful BUT.... At the front desk we were given their pet policy which stated that dogs are not allowed to be left in the suite unattended (the resort's website stated that we could leave our dog in the suite as long as we had him kenneled-which we brought). We made do and figured we could work around this glitch in our plans. So this afternoon we went to the beach (with our dog) and were told by a very friendly security guard that the dogs were not allowed past the walkway and onto the beach. When I quoted the website " Our pet friendly location is close to walking trails, and doggie beach access for some great swimming, walking or fetch. " he replied that the dogs are usually allowed on the beach just not in June, July, and August. So now my husband and I have spend a lot of money and we can't leave our room. We specifically chose this resort because of the so called pet friendly policy but we are very disappointed and feel mislead. The website also raves about doggy day care but so far I have not been able to contact anyone at the location they suggest. My husband and I live for our vacations (as most hard working people do) and to feel trapped in a hotel room for another 3 days is not how I envisioned my trip. They also claim on their website that they have been certified by "Pets Can Stay" and have exceeded their strict criteria. I will be in contact with Pets Can Stay in the future so I can find out what their "strict criteria" is for next time I travel with my pet. I was planning on coming back next year with another group for a big family reunion but I think we will try and find another resort. I can appreciate hotels having rules and pet policies but as a responsible dog owner I would expect that the policies that are advertised are accurate.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jasper88jo

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent visit to the Resort. While the Resort itself is very Pet Friendly, the Town of Osoyoos has recently enacted some by-laws to the contrary. While we certainly do what we can within the confines of our own Resort we must adhere to those rules outside out boundaries. This is certainly an issue we are taking up with the town with the hopes of making it easier for the many pet owners who stay at Watermark to enjoy their vacation with their ' best friends'.

Reviewed 18 August 2010

I was interested in what seemed like a great vacation spot for my family. I was at the lobby with my toddler when a big dog came charging towards her. The dog was not on a leash and there were 3 hotel receptionists on site and not one of them said anything to the owner of the dog. I was waiting for awhile at the reception and this was the second time this dog was out loose at the LOBBY!!! Needless to say, I will not stay and would not recommend this place to family with young children. The receptionist told me that the dog wasn't a pitt bull so it didn't matter. They said the dog was tame. Isn't it common curteousy to leash your dog inside a hotel lobby???? All three staff at the front desk were very unprofessional. Very disappointing. Was looking forward to what LOOKED like a great spot. Too bad the staff killed it for me.

1  Thank nw2240

Thank you taking the time to relay your recent experience at the Resort. While this incident seemed to stem from another guest of the resort, it was certainly highlights the need for our Guest Services Team to be more sensitive in situations like this. Knowing this is an isolated incident I hope you will return to Watermark in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2010

A few notes from a recent 1-night stay @ Watermark (4 adults on a wine tour).

The ‘Buyer Beware’ remarks:

1) To our immense surprise - the property was packed with kids & young families. Outside on your patio or around the pool deck - loud. Very loud.

2) Request a suite off the ground floor if you want a view. We were promised such (views) & couldn’t see the lake from anywhere in the room - though perhaps the mountains opposite. A bit disappointed, especially given the resort’s website photos.

3) If you’re in a group of 4 or more - definitely spend the extra money to book the townhouses. Especially if peace, quiet & privacy are things you value in a vacation. The townhouses are separate from the rest of the resort & seemed a far better bet. We were kicking ourselves for booking 2 separate rooms for our party.

4) Check in - though the staff was friendly - was painfully slow. 10 minutes or more to fill out “paperwork” and provide such details as our address and home phone. Had to wonder why they needed this - and what the paperwork was for given that we’d paid in advance.

The good - what we liked

1) Interior fittings and finishings are to a very high standard - Kohler everything, Royal Dalton dishware & Reidel wine glasses. Beds are comfy and the kitchen is well stocked.

2) There’s a supermarket just around the block & a nearby liquor store too. If travelling by car, perhaps bring more particular foodstuffs with you as the supermarket’s selection is limited.

The patios are nice & it was great to sit around all night drinking Osoyoos’ best vino.

Summary:

In all, a good stay & loved drinking our morning coffee in the sun by the pool. Just take advance precautionary measures if you don’t have - and don’t really like - children!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
PScanlon, Manager at Watermark Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2010

Thank you very much for your recent comments on your stay with us. I certainly get the impression that you were unaware that Osoyoos is a huge family vacation destination in the summer months. I suspect that late June or early September may be the best time for you to travel to the region as most of the families come to the region during the summer school break and the weather is fantastic, especially in early September. I do look forward to welcoming you again and hope your next stay with us meets your expectations.