“Not impressed!!”

Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
Kamloops
“Not impressed!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2007

We are very frustrated with this hotel. We stayed 2 summers in a row but had our reservations screwed up both times! We will definitely never stay there again. Both times we booked months in advance for a particular weekend, and both times we arrived and did not get the room we booked. This last year, we paid premium price for a so-called 2 bedroom suite. when we arrived, we were given a large bachelor style suite.. 3 connected rooms but no doors on the rooms, just archways connecting a living area with a pull-out couch and a room with a dumpy kitchenette in the old end of the building. We were travelling with our kids and wanted separate rooms for some privacy, but instead the kids had to sleep on the pull-out in basically the same room!! We obviously complained and they were blatantly rude, saying we got what we booked a 3 ROOM SUITE, meaning 3 separate rooms!!! It seemed like a total scam! There was no where else they could put us! And to top it all off, we were over the resaurant and the parking lot and it was pretty noisy.
Oh, they also told us that even if another room was available, the price had gone up since we had booked so we would be paying almost $80 more a night.
The manager was rude as well.
It was not a good weekend!

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank TryTri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Victoria, British Columbia
Reviewed 11 October 2006

this has to be one of the worst hotels we stayed at. looking at the reviews, it seems that it really depends on which building you are assigned. we stayed at the side building facing the parking lot. the walls are paper thin. doors are so old, the locks don't work. even the pillows and sheets were smelly, we had to ask to have them changed. the pool was dirty and had no towels. even when we asked the front desk for pool towels, they said they simply ran out. and the hotel charge as much as a luxury hotel in a big city. visitors to osoyoos are better off staying at many other cheaper and better managed hotels.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank skymonkey

Travellers are raving about these Osoyoos hotels

Calgary
Reviewed 25 September 2006

I stayed at this hotel in August for 2 weeks and my family occupied 2 rooms. Yes it was pricey but I thought well worth the money. We had a beach side condo on the first floor, literally steps from the lake and we managed to fit 6 of our family members into it. I thought it looked fairly new, was nicely furnished and the kitchen well equipped. The service was friendly and if we needed anything it was brought to our room within minutes and with a smile.
They also offered daily children's activities for 6 hrs/day that our children went to almost every day we were there. We used the kayaks from the marina but they had seadoo & boats as well.
I left feeling recharged and completely relaxed...I had a nice holiday here and would probably go back.

• Liked — Right on the Lake..everything was at this resort. Marina/Activities/Restaurants/Entertainment
  • Disliked — the parkade was always full
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for coupons for their marina..it saves you lots of money
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 007Yanna
Calgary
Reviewed 21 September 2006

Yikes, Holiday Inn needs to take their name off this place. The hotel rooms are in need of serious renovation. Old & Cheap. That's the feeling you get when you walk in the rooms. And these rooms are not cheap, especially considering there's about 10 hotels/motels/inns along the same beachfront that are offering much better rates.
We checked into this hotel & after seeing the room, immediately went back to the desk & advised them that we were not staying
We ended up staying at a place called Desert Surf which is about 3 hotels down. It was almost half the price & the rooms were nicer.
The only thing good about this hotel is its location right on the beach....but as I said earlier...there's about 10 other properties along the same stretch of beach.
They either need to renovate or bring there rates down to the $60 range

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — way too expensive for the quality
  • Tips/Secrets — check any of the hotels on the same strip of beach
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank jpaulv
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2006

We stayed at this hotel on the July long weekend. Our room was situated above the hotel restaurant overlooking the lake across the hwy. The room was a good size with 2 queen beds across from each other (instead of side by side) and included a kitchenette with mini-fridge and micro-wave. It was quiet as we were at the end of the hall. We were in the older section of the hotel, however, and I was disappointed with the quality - not up to par with most Holiday Inns. The room was not the cleanest - the walls could have used a good cleaning and there were holes in the wall above the kitchenette, where cabinets were removed, and had yet to be filled. The ceiling light fixture was missing the cover!

The service at the front reception was not great - the lady appeared to be run off her feet and the other gentlemen did not seem to know much. When you are standing at the counter, it would be nice to be acknowledged and say "I'll be right with you" instead of just being ignored.

Location wise, it was great! Right on the lake (the other side of the hotel - not the side we were on) with a private beach and a nice lake -very shallow - so great for little ones! I didn't think it was worth the price we paid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reflections
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 6 August 2006

We unfortunately started off on the wrong foot with the reservation. I used expedia to get the price. Expedia was offering it for a good price, I called the hotel, the hotel said they would match the price, but also noted that the expedia rate was an "advanced booking rate" that was non-refundable; they would do the same, but if we cancelled we would forfeit the payment. I had no problem as we were sure of our trip. The lady I spoke with also said the bonus of booking through the hotel was that we would know what we were getting, and thus she could put us on the fourth floor of the hotel, the new floor (only two years old) with a view of the lake. Absolutely!

Upon arriving and checking in a few weeks later, they showed me the rate and the rate was not what I had paid. Somehow although she quoted me the rate over the phone, that was not the same rate she had applied. When I spoke with the manager over the phone, he told me that the rate that she had quoted was not for the fourth floor, and although the rate she quoted me exists, it was not for our room. Although he admitted she must have somehow made an error in communication, he refused to budge on anything (rate, gift certificate, something!) to account for this error. He kept speaking over me and at the end I was irate and hung up feeling like I was taken for a ride. Once they have your money you can't get it back.

None the less I didn't want it to ruin my anniversary, so we went for dinner, on the way I called my credit card company to file a complaint, they said I'd have to send it in writing. On the way back to the hotel when we walked through the lobby, the lady who checked us in told us that "they had taken care of the rate." What prompted that I don't know because the owner would not do anything when I spoke with him, but we were quite pleased with that.

Anyhow, on to the actual hotel. The 4th floor was beatiful. The room was huge, wonderful view, great A/C, you're right on the beach. Couldn't ask for more in regards to the hotel facitliy itself. Aside from the reservation blunder I'd stay here again.

4 Thank PB69
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed 30 July 2006

We just returned from a 1 night stay at this hotel. We were shocked by the condition of the hotel. It is run down, the walls are paper thin and the neighbors are very noisy. Kids were also loud and running in the halls. As soon as we entered the room we noticed there weren't enough towels or kleenex and had to ask for these supplies. Beware if you book the "lakeview" rooms these actually face the highway, with the other half of the lake on accross from the highway. Highway was noisy until late at night. We have stayed at various Holiday Inns before and this one was not in keeping with the quality of all the other Holiday Inns that we have stayed in. Also, for the price they charge here you can actually get a deluxe room at other hotels in Penticton or Kelowna. Our brother was actually staying at the Super 8 next door to this Holiday Inn and we checked it out and were surprised to find it was actually a lot better than the Holiday Inn!!!

• Stayed July 2006