“Updated room with beautiful view”
Review of Sun Beach Motel

Sun Beach Motel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
“Updated room with beautiful view”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in July this year and have nothing but good things to say. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the second floor, that had been renovated not too long ago, and was clean, comfortable and reasonable. The staff and owner were always friendly, stopping to chat or ask if we had any concerns, which was nice compared to some of the reviews I had read. The beach area is small but has a very nice patio area to just laze around on. Our kids and us made the most of it, and the beach although small, was private, which made it really nice, that and it was a 10 second walk to our room.

Would I stay again?, absolutely I would. Just don't go there expecting the Watermark resort, its an old 60s motel that looks dated on the outside, but our two bedroom suite was just fine. The only issue the entire time was the iffy wifi, as we were located a long ways from the router. Other than that, no issues at all.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ross B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was our 4th time staying at the Sun Beach Motel in Osoyoos. My wife and I had our honeymoon there five years ago and come back each year. Book early because all the rooms are booked for the long weekends during the summer. One year we were late booking and had to stay elsewhere. Our two bedroom suite faced the lake on a private beach. They have a dock as well to tie up your boat. The view and location can't be beat. The suite can sleep up to 6 and my sister-in-law and brother-in-law joined us. The suites have a full kitchen which is great because we bought fruit and produce from local orchards and farms and cooked great meals in our suite and the BBQs provided on the patio next to the beach. Sandra is the owner and will do all she can to make your visit an eventful one. We stayed August 1-4 and have already booked for next year. That way we can get our favourite room with a perfect view of the lake. Our neigbour has been there 10 years in a row and brings his family, boat and friends. It's a great place for kids because the water is shallow and they can jump off the dock into waist deep water. It's a 10 minute walk to downtown for shopping and restaurants along the lake promenade. This is the place to stay in Osoyoos in my opinion. It has everything! Just sit back and relax. The water was crystal clear while we were there with lots of watersports going on. People were skiing and wake-boarding at 6:30 AM. Lots of wildlife! Eagles dive bomb into the lake for fish. Fishing is good as well. They have Bass, Salmon, Trout, Kokanee, Sunfish, Steelhead and Carp in the lake. Something for everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms and suites facing the lake are best.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ricard013
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed four nights and had booked a room for 3. We had been told that all rooms overlooked the lake. When we arrived we were given a room at the back, facing the car park. It was small and shabby. We upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite and this was really lovely, but of course more expensive. We were able to cook and eat outside the room, which would not have been possible at the other side. Quieter than the motels at the other side of the road, maybe less suitable for children. Ideal for people like us looking for a peaceful setting.

Room Tip: Specify a room looking over the lake.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sally H
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I would avoid this motel at all costs, and write this review as someone who has been the general manager of a respected branded hotel in the past.

I planned on spending up to a month visiting Osoyoos, so checked in to this motel for a multi-week rental. All was good at first. Was required to pay a $150 deposit, in part due to the fact I had a dog. Not a big deal, I've recently travelled all through the interior of BC with my dog, staying in over a dozen motels and hotels and some others also asked for a deposit, and in every case it was returned the day I checked out. I was told the room would need to be left tidy which is pretty standard for a room with a small kitchenette. Signs in the room reaffirmed the need to do your dishes, clean the stove, etc.

After checking in was told by the owner and housekeeper that my dog was not permitted to swim at the beach. No problem, it's their little beach (if you can call a tiny, rocky stretch on land a beach) so I told them we'd go to one of the other many beaches in town. Then I was told that no, in fact my dog was not permitted to swim at ANY beach. Huh? Not wanting to start my stay with a debate, I just walked away. Obviously, I took my dog daily to local beaches where he enjoyed cooling off with a nice swim.

The room was dated and barely acceptably clean. TV was past it's expiry date and was often 'snowy'. Air conditioner was not in use for the season so simply placed on the bedroom floor rather than taken away and stored or left in the window, had to work around it being there.
To be fair, this was not the worst motel room I've ever seen, but far from a great room.

I checked out and left town a few days early, as discussed with the on site manager. At her request, dropped the room key though the mail slot in the office door, along with my credit card number for the deposit to go back onto. After arriving in Vancouver several hours later, had a voicemail from the owner asking if I'd checked out? Well, that is why I dropped the key off isn't it?

This is when the silliness started. A few days go by, and still no deposit returned. So I send them an email asking that the delay is? I get a rambling, near incoherent response from the owner. From what I can understand, she says I gave her the wrong credit card number (which was nonsense) and also that the room was not clean, and that things had to be thrown away. So I reply. Firstly, with my credit card number again. Secondly, asking what exactly was not clean and what had to be thrown away. No response. Now I can tell you the room was cleaner when I left than when I checked in. One example, I even took the couch cushions outside to shake. The dirt that came out of those cushions was disgusting. A years worth to be sure. The stove, fridge and microwave were spotless. Bathroom spotless.

So another few days go by, and still no deposit returned, nor a response to my inquiry about why the full deposit was not being returned. So I send another email. The on site manager replies that there is a delay because the owner has a bad cold. So now I read some of the other reviews about this motel, and the problems with getting deposits returned, and start to believe maybe this is their racket, keeping deposits for no reason. I reply that I'm not sure why the owner having a cold should cause my deposit to be kept.

So, a few more days go by, still nothing. So I email again. I'm told that the partial deposit WAS in fact put back onto my credit card, however, as it was done over the Easter weekend and the banks are closed, it must be delayed. How ridiculous. I look at my online statement, and every credit card transaction I had over the Easter weekend has obviously already been posted to my card, but still nothing from the Sun Beach Motel. Blatant lie after blatant lie I tell you. So I email AGAIN, again, they say it's been done.

Finally, after a week and a half, and many emails, I get a partial deposit returned. Still no explanation as to why some of it was kept. I truly believe that it was the owners intent to just keep it, to see how much of a fuss I would create.

I would never stay at this place again, nor recommend it to anyone. The owner of this motel, criticized in many previous reviews, seems incapable of providing honest and sincere service to her guests.

I'll close by saying that the woman on site manager (not her husband, who unless you are one of the elderly snowbirds staying there can barely bring himself to respond to a good morning) was delightful and helpful throughout my stay. The one good thing about this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank budgetroamer49

Travellers are raving about these Osoyoos hotels

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2013

As with all reviews, I'd love to write a nice one to praise the excellence and efforts of the motel staff. Unfortunately, regarding this motel I cannot. The only upside to this motel is that it was situated lakefront with a beautiful view, and a dock. However, the motel is very expensive for how old and cheap looking it is. The chairs in our room were so old that we were afraid to use them as a risk of falling/breaking them. The furniture in general was very outdated. When we booked the hotel online, the description mentioned that there would be air conditioning in all the rooms. There was only one air conditioner in the furthest room. Osoyoos is a very hot city and this air conditioner served its purpose for the single room. The bath tub was clean at first, but the drain was not working properly so that tub quickly became filthy. The parking lot was very tight and not many stalls either, as a result we were forced to park on the streets.

Regarding the staff.. The cleaning lady had barged into our room at 9:30 in the morning trying to wake us up. She banged on the door for approximately 5 minutes until she was let in. She tried opening the door and coming in, but luckily we had put the chain on the previous night which prevented her from entering. We had spoken to her to not come in while we are sleeping. One of us was changing during all of this, and we let her know. Her response was that it wouldn't be the first time she had walked in on someone and that she didn't care. We let the lady at the front desk know and she said she would talk to the cleaning lady. This still happened the next two mornings. Completely unacceptable.

Use this amount of money and enjoy your stay at a more decent place. The view is beautiful but it is certainly not worth it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Very excited when we showed up to the motel as it is in a great location and the hotel is older but the beach was nice and set up very quaint. We went with a cheaper place as we were adventuring around osoyoos and surrounding areas. After an evening in penticton and the following morning left early for breakfast and a pontoon boat on the lake my husband and I return to a note on our door saying we having been smoking in the room??? And that this is unacceptable as they have quests with allergies. Ok this made me furious! We had not smoked in the room and if they were so worried about guests with allergies maybe they should get rid of the 100's of ashtrays laying around the property and take a look around at ALL the other guests smoking and drinking etc.... I thought this was completely rude and unprofessional of them to leave a note and accuse us of something we had not done!!!! needless to say we left and went and stayed somewhere else. I have never been so disrespected in all my years travelling. And just so you know my husband and I are business owners ourselves and very clean well dressed respectable people. This was a complete outrage and will never recommend nor will we ever go back to this place. Oh and watch out for the stairs to the upper floor they are broken and very dangerous. I am lost fell through them!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank swagel
Freshwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

To the complainers: It's not a Best Western so if you were looking for that then pay the Best Western prices and go across the street.
Stayed there with our two kids - front staff is nice. Room was decent - clean and comfortable but a little small and plain (cinder block walls). Bathroom was recently updated. The view from the patio is nice. There is a very small sand beach and from some steps you can see huge fish swimming (and they will come over to be fed when they see you which delighted my three year old). I saw one spider so I don't know why someone said it was a huge spiders nest. It isn't. Also there were about 10 teenagers staying there and you wouldn't have known it except at dinner when they were all chatting on the patio.Chatting. Not yelling, screaming or anything. We went to bed at 10 pm and it was totally quiet. They have bbqs on the patio which you can you use to cook your dinner which is nice. The only complaint would be that the parking lot is very small. We have a rather longish van and it was too difficult to get it into the lot so we parked on the street. One guest said they had to park on the street only because the lot was full - they don't have enough spots for all the rooms.I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 10 which had a queen and a double and was in the single story building which is good...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family