“Quiet, cute motel on the lake, very helpful for accessibility”

and 1 more site!
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were looking for a quiet place to start a 10-day trip in BC, close to the WA state border, and couldn't have chosen better than the Destiny Beach. Because we needed to ensure wheelchair accessibility, I exchanged several emails with the caretaker in mid-winter; as it was described, the room wasn't perfectly to ADA code, but with the willing assistance of Chris, the owner, and Wesley, the chap at reception, we were able to place our own bathroom gear without any problem.

The property is right on the lake, with a little dock and beach, a modest lawn for kids to play on, a terrace with tables and chairs for picnicking, BBQs, and a sweet gazebo for gazing at the water at sunset. Our unit had a full stove and fridge, assorted dishes & pans, as well as a separate room with bunk beds and a futon: great for families. There's also a small swimming pool, but we preferred exploring the area's wineries!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level will look out above roof tops at the lake and countryside. There's a co...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catzeyes

Reviewed 9 November 2011

My family stayed at the Destiny Beach Motel for almost a week. The facility is "well used" but everything worked, it was very clean, well equipped and the staff were helpful. I found their rates reasonable so it was a good trade-off. The staff and other guests were friendly and the place cultivated a warm inviting kid-friendly environment. I was charged for my entire stay 2 weeks in advance of checking-in which I found unsettling. I would stay again but I would query the advance payment; we were outside of the high-season and doesn't follow their posted reservation/cancellation policy.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
DestinyBeachResort, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Hello Yukon Cala Lily,

Thanks for taking the time in posting your comments regarding your stay with us this summer.
To answer your query about being "charged for your entire 2 week stay in advance of checking in" allow me to explain.
When guests reserve space with 3rd party websites such as Booking.com we collect the entire amount of the booking when we receive the reservation.
Should a guest have to cancel their stay we refund all funds save the one night's non-refundable deposit.
When guests reserve their stay "directly" with us we secure the "one" nights deposit with the remainder due at time of check in.
Have no fear, had you had to cancel we would have supplied you with a refund save the one nights non-refundable deposit.
Thanks again for taking the time in posting your comments.

Regards,

Chris n' Trish Arbique

Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stayed here in August and had a great time! The room was very clean when we arrived and the grounds were kept clean :)

Yes the furniture isn't all matched but it's not like the springs are poking out or anything.

Chris and Trish are very nice people & easy to talk to! All of the staff were very nice and always willing to assist you in whatever you might need.

Overall this is a very.. I would call it "cute" resort and a perfect place to just relax. I liked the atmosphere and would definitely recommend it and go back! :)

• Stayed: August 2011
DestinyBeachResort, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2011

Greetings "Not My Robot,"

Thanks for taking the time in posting your comments and highlighting information that we are a cute little property. We know the property is an older one and are working diligently to ensure "it" and our customer service standards maintain a course in "always" improving.

Chris n' Trish Arbique

Reviewed 3 October 2011

When we arrived we went to check in, and the young woman who greeted us had such an attitude! Her name is Danielle and despite her attitude this was just the beginning. We had reserved (original booking) for a suite with two beds as it is for two guys who are coming... were coming... to Osoyoos to go golfing.

Well they gave us a room with one bed, so I right away said when we booked we specifically said we needed two beds. There were no rooms available with two beds. So we asked Danielle if we could get a cot but she did not have one and literally said "why can't you share the bed?" I was shocked!

So we asked to speak to a manager and she said she is the manager. Shocker! So anyway we tried to compromise and asked if there would be a room available for the rest of our stay the next day with two beds as we did not mind moving. She said no and again said there is nothing wrong with us sharing a bed. I was speechless!

I asked for my deposit back and kindly explained that this would not do as we would try to find other accomodations. She said she could not give it back because if we were to cancel it would cost us. Well if they did not drop the ball and gave us a room with two beds like we asked when booking none of this crap would happen!

Long story short we stayed the first night since the deposit was paid with me sleeping on a very small chair while my golf-mate took the bed. Sure made for a bad day of golfing the next day! All because of Destiny Beach Resort! Not a resort if you ask me...

Room Tip: Make sure when booking you specifically make sure they know what you want and expect upon arrival. A...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank albertaxander
DestinyBeachResort, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Hello,

My name is Christopher Arbique Manager of Destiny Beach Resort in Osoyoos and I would like to address your concerns.

We were away during your time at Destiny and during your stay our interim manager was Daniell.

Daniell was with us during the entire 2011 summer season and has on every occasion championed to the task of executing wonderful front line customer service skills. And so, it is with due diligence that I try to sequester additional information specific to your stay here and more explicitly determine the cause to the posting; that you took the time to submit.

Firstly, I spoke directly with Daniell about this posting and secondly I have reviewed the bookings that came in during your timeline.

Be it known that we cannot associate a surname affiliated with your TripAdvisor web name.
However, from a point of discovery, it would appear that you (please correct me if I'm mistaken) reserved a room for 1 (one) person (the name not being disclosed here).

We only had a booking for 1 (one) person during the time you have noted herein. Other patrons to Destiny accommodated during this timeline were noted as being 4 (four) persons per room, all accommodated accordingly.

In delving deeper we discovered that during your time here there were several room categories available that could have very well accommodated your needs. In drilling deeper, "all" of the units we had available during your stay (the only units available) slept a minimum of 5 (five) persons each containing 1 (one) queen, 1 (one) single and a set of single bunk beds.

I spoke with Daniell directly, about your sentence structure of her informing you to "share a bed" with your golfing buddy. Daniell does not recall stating said or any other topic of discussion you have posted herein.

Should you view this response and have the time, it would be appreciated if you could shed a little more light on the information you have aligned with here.

Christopher Arbique
Manager
250.495.7592

Reviewed 2 October 2011

As a mother of 5 children, but sadly, could only take two on this trip, I absolutely treasured every minute of this jewel of a resort. The room, location, beach, pool access to outside eating were truly a rest for me. The kindness of the hosts and advice for daily road trips was very appreciated. My husband and I raved about it all summer. We traveled in July and enjoyed the warmth of the location and beautifully kept grounds and quiet surroundings. One of the best trips of our lives. The respect that neighboring vacationers showed each other was great. We'll be back for sure!

Jim and Gloria Scoten

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank gloria s
DestinyBeachResort, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

Greetings, and thanks for taking the time in posting your experience at Destiny. We are cognizant that this is an older property, but as you have so eloquently noted, its our location, amenities and pricing that makes Destiny a great little family motel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chris and Trish Arbique

Reviewed 8 September 2011

The accomodations were nice and our room had an incredible view. The couple that run the resort are exceptionally friendly. We had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time in posting your thoughts about our little property. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your time here. While we do our utmost to ensure customer service...its the wonderful valley scenery and warm breezes that do all the heavy lifting.

Chris and Trish Arbique

Reviewed 6 September 2011

I stayed in Destiny Beach Resort from Aug 30 - Sept 5. I arrived about 5 pm on Aug 30th and checked in, when I went to my room it was like an oven. They didn't bother to turn the air conditioning on to cool it off before I arrived. I looked around and saw crayon marks on the wall so I wiped them off. I had to wash the lid of the garbage can because it was dirty, the cupboard doors and the pots in the cupboard were dirty. The carpet was dirty and needed steam cleaning. The tea towels and dishclothes were rags. The whole place needed a paint job and a revamping, the furniture was a miss match of a bunch of junk from a flea market. The futon in the living room was covered with an old faded sheet and there was some old foam underneath it. The bed was hard as a rock. There was no bedside table, no alarm clock, no telephone, no blowdryer and only a stand up shower, no bathtub. There were no services to offer, you were given a list of rules to follow and you had to go and ask for clean towels, soap, toilet paper etc. from the office to get someone to open a locked cupboard to give you these items. The office was supposed to be open at 9 am and closed whenever they felt like it. If nobody was around they left a note on the door to find them at the beach. The rules were not followed as I observed childen swimming in the pool when it was adult time swim 1-2 pm. The office did not always open at 9 am. The parking was poor and I had to park in a narrow stall in front of my door one evening because the lot was full and it was the only spot available. I ended up scraping my passenger mirror on my new car. I was not impressed and mentioned this to the manager Chris, his comment was that I should have asked Danielle at the office to let me park in their parking lot by his house. Well Danielle was not in the office at the time and his lot has a sign that says manager parking only. No apology or nothing. The BBQ's were dirty and the BBQ brushes were worn out and very dirty. The beach was a joke, it was the size of a double garage in width, it was their personal beach and they were sharing it with everyone. There weren't even enough chairs for everyone to sit by the beach or pool. The beach had a gazebo with an old living room couch under it. No good patio furniture, just a bunch of old junk with faded stained covers. I was not impressed and spent most of my time at the main beach downtown. I wouldn't even swim there because one evening a small child was going to fish off the dock. I could just imagine walking in and stepping on a fish hook. The place totally caters to children and allows them to bring all their toys and floatys into the pool. They don't seem to cater to adults who are paying the bill. I will never stay at this place again. A total dump for the price and a "we don't care attitude" which was reflected in the way they maintained things and treated people. The whole place needs an overhaul and the management needs an attitude adjustment. Giving good customer service goes a long way but there was none here. I got the impression "if you don't like it leave" so in the end I was never so happy to be leaving a place I never felt welcome nor comfortable in.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Jody G

Because one must adhere to the management reply guidelines of TripAdvisor my ability to respond thoroughly to the concerns outlined by this guest are not available.

I will simply state that I was concerned Jody G encountered a mild accident with her car, and apologize that her holiday experience was not a memorable one.

Christopher Arbique