Thanksgiving weekend brought 8 of my family members together for what we expected was a memorable stay at Spirit Ridge. Unfortunately what we experienced was a complete let down. Regardless, being the family we are, we did our best to make the most of the venue and amenities.
Our journey started with a reservation confirmed in March 2012. My daughter and her husband are semi-frequent visitors to Spirit Ridge and we were so excited to gather together in this beautiful setting. We arrived early (3:30) and hoped to be given a bit of consideration for the early arrival. We walked into the reception area and there was no greeting of “Hi, Welcome to Spirit Ridge”….two ladies behind the counter continued to chat while we stood. They finished their conversation and spoke one word….Name? Once we told her who we were she determined the room was not yet ready and to give them a ½ hour. Fine, we understood 4:00 was check in. We wandered around the complex, stopped into the wine tasting room and were immediately shooed from the wine counter to the front entrance for a tasting as they were closing the back room for a big dinner that evening. We tried a few sips of wine, wandered a bit more and finally went back into reception at 3:50 to find out whether we were getting any closer to getting into the room….we were given our room keys and told to drag our feet as cleaning was still going on. We did our best, loaded our luggage and managed to get up to the room at 4:15. 3 cleaning people were still in the room still cleaning…. dishes were still in the dishwasher and floors were just being mopped. We gave them a few more minutes and they packed up and left.
After determining sleeping arrangements, we then unloaded the dishwasher and found our first surprise as dishes were put away…two bowls stuck together (these were already in the cupboard) with butter. The fridge still had residues of crumbs. Despite these few things we settled in and decided to enjoy the deck…back into the room for shoes because of the dirty dirty deck floor….Thankfully we didn’t have any little ones who might be tempted to crawl on this most disgusting surface. We then discovered we had no BBQ. A quick call to front desk who argued with us that yes, we did have a BBQ….either we were going blind or???? Finally we were able to convince her we did not have a BBQ but we certainly had the grease residue on the deck to indicate there had been one at some point. One was delivered and shame on us for thinking it might be somewhat desirable to cook on with the overloaded grease encrusted grill…..it took a team of two men to scrub what they could so we were able to eat that evening…As we scouted out the rooms we found a complete lack of cleanliness including the tray that holds the shampoos , the shower doors completely covered in soap scum, stove top in desperate need of a good scrubbing (my daughter did the cleaning), corner’s of the rooms holding dust balls, shower head in the Master coming out of the wall and rust throughout each bathroom. I also discovered something (just not sure what) that looked like a blood drip on our closet door.
Throughout the weekend we made calls or stopped into the lobby to ask for various missing items in the room including a tea kettle, oven mitts and dish soap.
Day 2 we chose not to have maid service but still charged some kind of eco fee?
Because of the condition of the BBQ we were given, we chose to use the larger one on the rooftop and booked as directed. We were told there was a deposit for cleaning the BBQ should it be required after our use. We did a quick inspection of the rooftop unit and immediately cancelled the reservation. It was as dirty or perhaps worse than the one we had with the room. No Thanks.
The next morning our daughter headed to the gym and again, more disappointment. Dirty wet towels hanging on the equipment, used paper cups thrown around the room and not a drop of water in the water cooler. She soldiered on and after her workout bought a bottle of water from the Market for $5.00! Assume it was brought in by a camel from a special spring somewhere in Austria for this price! My son and his wife tried the hot tub that evening but the scum on the surface of the water made for a less than an enjoyable experience.
Advertised Wi-Fi less than stellar. Slow, slow slow.
The final assault was the finding of a sock under one of the beds as we were making sure we had left nothing behind.
Overall we found the facility to be unclean, less than inviting and certainly not an option for our next family gathering.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4.5-star Spirit Ridge at Nk'Mip Resort celebrates its natural desert cultural landscape.Our accommodation is a 226-condominium 1, 2 & 3-bedroom style hotel nestled between Anarchist Mountain and Lake Osoyoos. Situated on Osoyoos Indian Band land, we celebrate our resort partner's amenities and destination attractions. The Nk'Mip Desert Cultural Centre is a hub of information on the Okanagan people where you can immerse yourself in Aboriginal Events and cultural ceremonies. The Nk'Mip Cellars are an award-winning vineyard and winery, right on the Resort. They provide in depth tours and daily wine tastings. Just down the hill is the Nk'Mip RV Park and Campground, a year-round heated playground for an active Snowbird Community. In the summer, there is a Cantina on the Lake where you can take a water taxi across to town - or invite friends to you. The challenging 9-hole Sonora Dunes golf course has a clubhouse (opening year-round shortly) and Pro Shop. The view from the tee boxes envelop the backdrop of the rugged mountain, the Lake below and a beautiful scene of the Spirit Ridge adobe-style buildings dotted with wrought iron icons, native to the area. We have a full service spa on site Solterra Desert Spa who are open year-round, waiting to pamper locals and visitors alike. Our resort weddings are becoming legendary. Photo opportunities exist from every viewpoint with the spectacular vineyard stretching out like arms to the sun, up the hill. Meander between wild desert sage, catch a glimpse of a wild herd of horses, laze in one of our outdoor pools or hot tub and wonder, "why didn't I get here sooner". Experience Nk'Mip hospitality at it's best! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Spirit Ridge at NK'MIP Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spirit Ridge Vineyard Hotel Osoyoos
- Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort And Spa
- Spirit Ridge Vineyard Osoyoos
- Spirit Ridge Osoyoos