“Staying for a month In Spirit Ridge”

Spirit Ridge at NK'MIP Resort
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We love staying at Spirit Ridge. We have now stayed there 3 times and we are booked for a month again April, 2015. The staff is helpful and friendly. We love the golf, the pool and the fitness room. We book a two bedroom two bath condo. It is big and accommodating. Each year we have more friends joining us.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We've been to spirit ridge 5 times now in the past 3 years. Ever time has been great with no complaints
We've stayed in a 2 bedroom unit with our five kids twice. We all had fun at the pool, golfing, and going down to lake on a golf cart shuttle.
We've also stayed with another couple in the 2 bedroom suite which works great with each couple having a bedroom with a king bed and our own washroom.
And lastly we've stayed in a one bedroom corner suite which was awesome! Big patio and beautiful view of the golf course.
The kitchen facility is great as we did all our own cooking when we had our kids with us
We enjoy walking to InnKMip to pick up nice wines for the evening.
We have nothing but great memories of our stays at spirit ridge. We recommend it a lot and several of our friends are beginning to frequent the resort more as well

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our 4th or 5th annual vacation to Spirit Ridge in Osoyoos that included 2 young families of 4 with kids 11 & 13 yrs old (lost count # of stays over the years, wow am I getting old?). One thing we noticed this year is the eroding value for what you get compared to years gone past. Sorry, trying not to make this seem like your father talking.

Resort Pros: (before I get to the cons)
This is a great family resort with multiple pools, waterslide, steam room, fitness facilities & winery. The atmosphere & environment is very pleasant. Roof top decks offer an unparalleled view for evening BBQ dinners. Bike rentals for guests are included. We golfed Sonora Dunes at the resort with our children that offered great junior discounts & the course is in fantastic shape! Desert Cultural Centre had a family rate, informative displays and an interesting snake show at 1:00PM. Horseback riding was memorable for kids (extra costs at the stable beside RV entrance) that saw a rattlesnake on their travels. Lots to do!

Value Cons:
The early purchase of rooms this year in Mar/Apr allowed the 4th night free...... where it was 3rd & 6th night free on 6 night bookings for years past at Bellstar resorts (plus the increasing cost/night/room year after year). Secondly the rooms (specifically the 1 bedroom units that we booked) this year now have $$ levels starting at Regular, Premium, & Executive. Now depending on what floor level (1, 2, 3, 4) and direction of room's view dictate how much you pay. View surcharge has always been there (mountain, courtyard, lake), but room floor..... not in our previous stays at Spirit Ridge Resort. Also in the past they used to have complimentary Nk'Mip Winery "tasting & tour pass" hanging on the wine bottles in the rooms. Obviously many visitors may have been surprised that $25/bottle wine isn't actually free in rooms....and nor should it. The complimentary wine tasting pass was previously hung on bottles 'back-in-the-day' but now required to be asked for at front lodge check-in desk. I asked at winery, but 'they' all looked at me puzzled and said "it never existed" and 'Hotel' is separate from 'Winery' (which it likely is) but they should communicate. When I left the winery after being told the pass didn't exist, I went to front desk which took 2 hosts to figure out what I was saying then was given passes that I took back to the winery for our tastings. Passes don't come with winery tour anymore, alas must be sign of the times?

Property Cons:
Specifically at Spirit Ridge I agree with previous posts that the units are showing their age, wear & tear. Our curtain rod in our one-bedroom unit was pulled out of the wall, but was fixed promptly when reported. The curtains are quite heavy and thick which function great to block light & heat, but if not installed properly into wall studs, will pull out every time from drywall anchors..... as was seen by multiple holes & anchors used in our 2 rooms. Cork screw wine opener in the rooms of a winery resort... nope had to ask for them for both rooms. Market Cafe sold 'fresh' fruit pies that were frozen? Pool umbrellas would collapse and were in disrepair. Spa is lacking accredited & registered massage therapists? Does this make sense to run a spa that does not have accredited employees to treat patrons and charge $120/hr for a massage that costs less than $90/hr at a registered spa in Calgary, Alberta? In the years' past we have been coming here there has not been RMT's, I guess it won't ever change. I'll bet visitors with insurance plans would spend more time/money in spa if RMT's are available (business suggestion).

I welcome positive changes from the past….. as nothing remains the same. I hope future changes make a progressive experience for visitors to Spirit Ridge Resort, as my future vacation dollar may likely be spent elsewhere if this change in history repeats itself.

1  Thank Roo55
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a decent enough family property but at the prices being charged, should be much better. The building itself is new but already showing considerable wear and tear. There were multiple stains in hallway carpets and in our furniture, a dishwasher that barely worked, a mickey mouse electric BBQ, and a cleaning staff whose only job it seemed was taking out garbage - totally ignoring any vacuuming or mopping detail that could have required work.

The location is nice. A view of the lake on one side, a quiet golf course on the other, two pools (although the family one is far too small for the number of guests in the hotel. Go find a beach instead), and an on-site winery tour.

By and large, the issues are subtle rather than deal-breaking - polite but totally uninforming front desk service, half-asleep teenagers doing pseudo-housekeeping, deafening air-conditioning inside (dont dream about sitting on your deck with the racket).

The issues here would be fine if you were staying at a side-of-the-highway family hotel. But when you are paying upwards of $300/night, the quality and attention to detail should be considerably better. This had all the feel of a place with casual-standards through and through.

2  Thank RenfieldP
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Nice two bedrooms unit. Good pool with a water slide for the kids. Rooms are large and well equipped with full kitchens and an electric BBQ on the deck. We also had dinner in the restaurant, the food and service were very good. It was a little confusing trying to find our room, they should provide better instructions specially when you park underground.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Check-in was a breeze and probably took less than 5 minutes. We stayed in a corner king lake-view suite on the top floor, and the view was absolutely unreal! I can't imagine having stayed in a different room. The room was huge, with a master bedroom, a wrap around balcony and a moon soaker tub. The kitchen is fully functional and while we didn’t take advantage of this I wish we did! The main restaurant was extremely overpriced for the quality of food that we received the one night we ate dinner. I would highly recommend dining at one of the wineries (Burrowing Owl, Tinhorn, etc) if you are planning on spending some money on dinner, as you will get higher quality food with the same quality view.. otherwise take advantage of the kitchen in your room!
We did have breakfast at the restaurant every morning, and the weekends were a buffet. Overall it was a decent breakfast and I was satisfied.
We unfortunately didn’t find the extra time to check out the Cellar or the Cultural Centre, but the reviews sound good for both. I love that they have partnered with Matrix Yoga and offer rooftop yoga on Saturday mornings for $20.
We found no issues with housekeeping, everything appeared to have been cleaned to our expected standards, and our bed was comfy.
We only used the quiet pool because the large pool seemed to busy at all hours. The quiet pool had a great view, and we were guaranteed pool chairs at all times. Also, both the pool hours are late – around 10 or 11pm – the way all pools should be! The market on site is very handy and I appreciate having something like that so close. We did take the shuttle to the beach one day, and the beach area is fairly decent. We had no issues finding beach chairs, and the water/lake floor wasn’t too murky. They also have anchored giant floating chair things – a pleasure to use to sit out in the water. The Cantina had a small menu, but decent snacky-dinner type foods.
Overall thinking about staying in Osoyoos again, while I did thoroughly enjoy our stay at Spirit Rdige and am happy about our decision to stay, I am curious to see how the other resorts compare – especially ones that are located right on the beach and also have a pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

As a group vacation, my friends and I booked 5 2-beedroom suites and were promised 5 neighboring suites. Only 4 rooms were grouped together, isolating my family and I from our friends to a different area of the resort. Besides separation, this caused inconvenience to our childcare arrangements.

While trying to access our suite, only 1 of the 4 key cards worked. After 2 attempts to reprogram the other 3 cards and waiting for maintenance crew to diagnose and no one showed up, I discovered check-in staff assigned me to the wrong suite but they denied doing so. Check in took well over an hour.

I requested manager to contact me but no attempt was made for all 4 days we stayed.

I've written an email to the guest manager and the general manager. still no reply. I guess they simply don't care.

Other than the horrible booking and check-in procedure, poor customer service and lack of accountability, the place was decent. There is a kid-friendly pool with waterslide. I found the small convenience store/coffee shop sales prices to be a bit on the high end.

6  Thank cyeung604