“Inconvenience is not their problem”

Coast Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Langley City
Surrey
“Inconvenience is not their problem”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was my second time staying at this location. This stay was for our first anniversary with my husband and we were in 415. Our room smelled musky and was humid, so we turned up the AC in hopes that it would be better when we got back from dinner.

We had a great time at the new Match public house, played a bit in the casino. Then returned to our room where the smell was so overpowering I had to spray perfume on my pillow. We set our alarm for 8:30 to go downstairs for breakfast, however the power had gone out and we didn't wake up until 10:45 in an uncomfortable sweat. I phoned the front desk to let them know the power was out and we had now missed breakfast, to which they replied "it's not our problem, BChydro had an issue in the area" I was a little confused so I wanted to clarify that we had paid extra for breakfast which now was not available.

Maybe it was due to the language barrier as both front desk clerks spoke broken English, but again she said "ma'am it's not our problem"

Now I was just angry overall that we were paying that much money for a hotel room that we couldn't even shower, or comfortably sleep in PLUS now the complete disregard for the inconvenience and that answer overall...

We got ready and rushed downstairs to check out by 11, understandably they could not give us a receipt at this time due to the power outage, but they didn't even offer to reimburse the breakfast we had paid extra for ($10). I had to argue to the point they phoned security and finally they agreed to refund breakfast, but nothing further.

They were extremely rude and had no interest in making any efforts to rectify the situation. I phoned management and am waiting to hear back from them, but I doubt I will be staying at their hotel again.

Terrible customer service, horrible value, low quality...all 3 strikes for me.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Vayia V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very clean hotel and friendly staff, roooms very big and comfortable cleaned every day and plenty of fresh towels each day. Attached to hotel is a big casino which is bustling with a variety of people and plenty of games and fruit machines to play . Breakfast is in a small room downstairs on a help yourself basis of toast croissants cereals coffee fruit juice etc. In all a very pleasant stay

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie P
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I had a quick little 2 day get-a-way. The Coast Hotel which is attached to the Cascades Casino, has a nicely laid out room. The beds are super comfy - we had a king bed, with a big HDTV. The little fridge is a nice touch to put our drinks in and milk for the morning coffee that also is in the room. There is a desk that has a comfy chair for doing work at. There is also another chair in the corner. We ate at Pinnacle Grille l, which actually has reasonably priced food - and was pretty tasty. They were in the midst of changing over machines in the casino and opening a new restaurant on Friday (Matches). There is a Starbucks in the lobby. Would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My friend and I were in town to visit the Drive-in Theater. We usually stay at the Best Western--Country Meadows, but that weekend their price was too high, so I looked online and found this hotel. The fact that it's connected to a casino didn't hurt either. We got the casino rate for a comfort room

We didn't spend that much time in the room, but after the movies at the Drive-In, it was great to have a place to crash for a few hours.

We did spend some time in the casino, after the movies, and in the morning and came home a winner, but it took some guts, and nerves of steel, as the machines were extra tight--tighter than most casinos that I have played in. I was losing money but recovered my losses by playing Blackjack at one of the few tables open.

My only complaint is that the Continental Breakfast had sparse offerings, of course I have been spoiled by the offerings by the Holiday Inn and Best Western. Of course the price was right (free) so who am I to complain?

One minor note, our room faced the alley, so we were woken by the garbage trucks (we had the window open), but then we were so excited by the Drive-In and the casino, that who could sleep!

Room Tip: The comfort rooms face the back alley.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We were looking for a night away from home (but close) with an activity attached. This hotel has a casino on premises and the weather was going to be nasty so we decided to try it out. The room was exactly as it looked on the website, no more, no less.

The bed was king-sized, lush and comfortable. Unfortunately the walls between our room and our neighbour were not given as much attention and we got to listen to his radio until about 1:00 in the morning. Other than that - it was exactly what we expected.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2Nikkels
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My stay at this coast was pretty decent. The beds were super comfortable. I would have liked to take it home. The room was spacious enough for myself, my sister, her daughter and her baby. They even set up the playpen for us in the room which was nice. Everything was very clean, so kudos to the housekeepers.
The little fire alarm in our room went off early in the am, I found out someone had accidentally tripped the alarm in the convention area, not their fault but it was annoying.

Front desk staff was nice enough at check in - but I felt check out was a little impersonal. The woman didn't even ask how are stay was.
As far as the continental breakfast goes, I was totally fine with it. They had coffee and juices, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, muffins, toast, croissant. I see complaints about the no hot items, but it really didn't bother me, there was enough food to fill up.

The wifi didn't work for me at all, which was bothersome. I was too busy anyway for the most part to bother with using the net. But it could be an issue for people on business.

The worst thing for me was, while I was at the spa, the lady tending to me asked what I had planned for that evening. I explained we were planning to go to the pinnacle grill. She knew we had kids so she informed me we couldn't go there, because the entrance to the restaurant was through the casino, and they won't allow kids going through the casino, even just to walk through. I was very disappointed and frustrated by this. I was excited to try some of the menu items I saw. I even saw a kids menu, which is comical when you think about it because kids cant even get there. I suppose the kids menu would work if you want room service. Anyway, the spa lady recommended a great little place to go to called choo choo's which was about a block from the hotel, we enjoyed it.

All in all, it was a decent stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here for business only. The hotel was OK; nothing to complain about regarding the room. The bed was fairly comfortable, everything was clean, and the WiFi worked well. The disappointment came with the free continental breakfast: no hot items. The whole affair was comparable to a budget hotel (like a Comfort Inn) and was not at all what I was expecting. Do it right, or don’t do it at all. 6/10

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Travelodge Langley City
Travelodge Langley City
#5 of 11 in Langley City
Hampton Inn & Suites Langley Surrey

Been to Coast Hotel & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!